9/20/09 HMSC Tank Mainrtenance Post

Glazed

I'm still learning how to manuever on the WEB Site. I thought I would post this message again in this area. I posted this yesterday (9/20/09)

Greetings all,

First off, apologies for my lack of on-going communications -we are going through major remodeling back in the West Wing area, that and getting ready for the new school term has monopolized 99% of time. The other 1% is spent driving from Lincoln City to Newport, and back the other way each evening.

Anyway, reef tank – I am adding magnesium, calcium, strontium (did I spell that right?) and iodine on a regular basis. I have ceased using bioballs – still have a bit of an algae problem, but I think it is slowly coming under control. The refugium looks very healthy with decent amounts of halameda (did I spell that right?) growing. I had an aptasia problem, but an addition of a peppermint shrimp has done the trick. The system has a good supply of snails and various crabs as cleaners.

Recently I added a cucumber and squamosa clam to the tank. The clam seems to be doing very well – meaning, I’m thinking, the water parameters are pretty good. The cucumber has disappeared somewhere between the rocks and substrate. We also added many clownfish – three different species and they’re doing well.

So, overall the system is doing well as the soft corals and such fill in the gaps. I’m always up for adding more to the system, and changing things to better educate the students, although I really don’t want to change too much of the rock formation.

As for the Club’s involvement – I still welcome all the help and educating I can get. John mentioned a visit sometime soon in October. I wasn’t sure if this would be the only visit, or one of many, routine visits.

Saturday would probably be the best time for visits – just let me know what Saturday in October you would like to make the trip – probably a planning trip for this first visit on October, but I’m open for suggestions.

Another thought: I’m wondering if the Club has, or can develop a training type program for beginners, that could at least be used to train my aquarists. I’m sure if the program satisfied Dr. Miller-Morgan’s fish health parameters, we could utilize the club in other educational venues – utilizing the developed training program.

Lastly, no matter how good the reef system looks or can look, the tank is compromised just enough to always affect the view. Unfortunately, this is what we have to work with, and really, I would hate to transfer everything to a new tank.

Let me know what the plans are when you get it figured out,

Dennis

HMSC Reef tank

Budget or should I say restrictive budget, or lack of budget is compromising the view. I’ve had to utilize an acrylic aquarium that has some crazing taking affect. Unfortunately that’s life at the Science Center – we do what we can do with what we have to work with. I would love to have the ability to purchase a brand spanking new acrylic tank, but I don’t. Also, the fish, corals, and other inverts seem to be settling in very well, and I would hate to disturb the ecosystem at this point.

As for training, we are so education minded we try to turn everything into a learning experience. For us the “why” is the most important step, as opposed to the final product up and running on display step. Sure it’s very cool to have a great end product, but again for us the coolest thing is how you got to the final step – the “why” you did it this or that way. We do impromptu teaching sessions as well as planned sessions. I have volunteers, student workers, and aquarists all willing to learn something new. Designing and scheduling a training program will be the two biggest challenges – something that can’t be done over night.

Oh by the way, we do have another reef system up front in the Visitor Center. It's a decent tank that we can work with too.

Dennis

Transportation to Newport may be difficult in October. Our driver has prior commitments with school related activities all Saturdays except for October 31st, and from past experience, that is not a good day for club activities. Too many folks are busy tending to kids and Halloween parties.

Perhaps it would be better trying for early November.

HMSC Reef Tank maintenance

October or November - Whatever works the best for you all; however, and this goes back to what type of commitment to HMSC you are proposing, a one time visit to assess the situation and give me ideas on what to do can happen anytime, and in fact is already happening through the posts. If the plans are for scheduled routine visits, then it is becoming clear this may be a challenge. Truly, I understand we all have busy lives; however because I work with students and aquarists in teaching situations I have to make plans and schedule husbandry duties. When an aquarist, volunteer, or student does not show up as scheduled, it really throws the whole system into a lurch. Communication is the key here, and an e-mail or a call before shift always alleviates the severity of the challenge. I highly appreciate PNWMAS' desire to get and stay involved with this project - John, you and I have discussed this for sometime now, and every member of the club I have met has just been incredibly cordial and helpful by offering so much useful advice; but, I'm sensing a slight amount of hemming and hawing. I'm just saying, if you all truly want to do this - then let’s get it done!

• 2 months later...

Dennis and Dr. Tim,

We have more than enough committed people in the club (plus a few of us that probably should be(whistle)(laugh)). I feel that I must take the responsibility for not following through with regular visits. I have not had any time at all to fit a trip to HMSC into my schedule and I really do feel bad about this.DOH! Part of this has been some serious health issues at home, and not being able to leave Constance alone for long periods of time. Lately, dealing with some critical club matters has taken much of any time I might have had left!

We have a list of about 10 people who said they are willing to help, when we do have a chance to make a trip to Newport.

I do not want HMSC to think we have gone back on our commitment of working with you. In the meantime, please let us know how we can help in any other ways!

I would like to put together some donations of whatever might be needed. I have been trying to find an affordable Ozone Generator for pre-treating your bay water prior to it's use in the tropical tanks. If anyone has one not being used the could donate, that would be great! I am also waiting for a member's macroalgae to grow back out so we can sent you some for your refugium. He has several species of macroalgae other than Caulerpa, such as Sargassum, Ulva, Chaetomorpha, Ochtodes, Botryocladia, and Gracilaria.

Please let us know of anything your tanks may be needing. Try to keep us posted of the tank progress and be sure to post some pictures!

Now the road conditions may not be the best for driving from the Valley to the Coast during the next few months. Please do not give up on us! We really do care, and we are still excited about helping.

We plan on having our yearly visit to HMSC in April, and hopefully some of us will make it there before that!

Those of us at PNWMAS wish all of you at HMSC a Happy Holiday Season. (I had a request by one of our members that I should try to be more "politically correct".(whistle)) ...Merry Christmas too!:D