Soon To Be New To The Pacific North West

Hello Pacific Northwest Marine Aquarium Society! What a name, I think I'll stick with PNWMAS.

I'm a recent college graduate and soon to be Pacific Northwestern-er, awaiting job offer and relocation.

We had a 55gal freshwater tank at my family home growing up and I've always associated aquariums with success.

If I do land this dream job and move to the PNW I would like to start a reef aquarium and perhaps a propagation tank for corals.

I've been watching youtube videos and reading about marine aquariums for not too long, but I have strong willpower and like challenges.

I like that this hobby has a strong community and that experienced hobbyists seem to be very willing to help out the newcomers.

As I browse the forums and continue to watch youtube series I hope to hone in on and my interests and make a plan.

I hope to grow into the community with increased knowledge and activity and that I can contribute back.

That seems to be it for now, I look forward to discussing equipment as I ramp my build in PDX!!

• Like 3

Your lucky as there are a number of seasoned hobbyists in your area as well as some mighty fine fish/corals stores. In driving distance, you got Cuttlefish and Corals close by in Portland, Upscales in Tualatin, and if you can make it a little south The Premium Aquarium in WIllsonvville and the Premium Aquarium in Salem. These are all great reef supply stores where you can get an ear full of good information. 

Oh and Welcome aboard, feel free to ask any questions as they come up, we know you will have many...See you around the forum yeah.

• Like 1

Welcome!! This forum has has taught me so much over my last two years! You will gain a ton of knowledge on here. The people on this forum are beyond helpful and always willing to help with any situation. :) you'll feel at home on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was an exciting day today. I had my second interview this morning, five weeks after my first interview, and they unofficially give me a job offer. It's not for the "dream job" that I first interviewed for but it's a solid foot in the door. I hope the locals in town are as nice to transplants as you have been. This is really happening!

54 minutes ago, AbsolutelyGuaranteed said:

It was an exciting day today. I had my second interview this morning, five weeks after my first interview, and they unofficially give me a job offer. It's not for the "dream job" that I first interviewed for but it's a solid foot in the door. I hope the locals in town are as nice to transplants as you have been. This is really happening!

My dream was to move here, regardless of the job.. Once you make it here it will be easier to find your path.

Come to the NorthWest and you will find your reef.

Attend the meetings and you will find friends and starter corals

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to portland. please for the love of all things holy and sacred don't drive like your drunk on cough syrup. right on red always. LEFT ON RED if turning on to a one way! ( sorry, traffic in inner NE PDX has me looking at skyline drive houses.

what part of town are you moving to?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Welcome to portland. please for the love of all things holy and sacred don't drive like your drunk on cough syrup. right on red always. LEFT ON RED if turning on to a one way! ( sorry, traffic in inner NE PDX has me looking at skyline drive houses.

what part of town are you moving to?

Haha!  As a fellow inner NE'ster I hear you there!  In our defense, however, I blame all the transplants (sorry folks).

Welcome Absolutely and congrats on the job.  Will be keeping an eye out for your build thread.

12 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

where in NE are you? by my amazing powers of deduction I am thinking off Alberta street... I'm at 15th and fremont..

Good guess!  Basically at 23rd and Alberta so really close to you.  Good to see another reefer in the neighborhood - although it sounds like you might be on the move.

Sorry for the threadjack Absolutely.  You will find that there are folk on this board from all over PDX and the greater NW so no matter where you end up, you will likely have someone nearby to help out in emergencies or just hang out with.  Also good feedback on vendors, local shops etc. plus lots of home grown expertise on everything having to do with reefing up to and including building your own tank (see pdxmonkeyboy for example).

Hope the job works out for you and feel free to let us know how to help with the build.