Nitrate dosing?

Zotalpha

I have been running bio pellets for about a year and a half, most of the time I love them.

Historically my tank had maintained 2-3 ppm nitrate (salifert) and phosphate at about 0.05 (Hanna). About two month ago I noticed everything going pale on me, also tons of cyano. I tested, Nitrate 0 phosphate 0.

I increased feeding added a fish or 2 and started dosing amino. 2 months later still testing 0, color is better but nowhere near what it used to be.

I was reading that some people have had great luck with dosing potassium nitrate using Spectracide Stump Remover. Has anybody here tried this or something similar? I know I should probably consider pulling the pellets but I hate doing water changes!!!!!!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get rid of the biopellets. You will be testing all of the time if you are using biopellets to strip your water and then dosing nitrate to put it back. Most people who try that get frustrated.

If you hate water changes, I would get an algae scrubber to lower nutrients. Then get some good algae eating fish, like Kole or Tomini Tangs, Rabbitfish, to keep the algae limited to the scrubber.

Here's a nice one:

http://www.santa-monica.cc/RAIN2-Pole-Mountable-Waterfall-Algae-Scrubber-ATS-with-Green-Grabber-screen-and-GEM5-lights--2-cubes-a-day-feeding_p_87.html

(They also have cheaper ones, and you can always try a DIY scrubber.)

Good luck!

I have been running bio pellets for about a year and a half, most of the time I love them.

Historically my tank had maintained 2-3 ppm nitrate (salifert) and phosphate at about 0.05 (Hanna). About two month ago I noticed everything going pale on me, also tons of cyano. I tested, Nitrate 0 phosphate 0.

I increased feeding added a fish or 2 and started dosing amino. 2 months later still testing 0, color is better but nowhere near what it used to be.

I was reading that some people have had great luck with dosing potassium nitrate using Spectracide Stump Remover. Has anybody here tried this or something similar? I know I should probably consider pulling the pellets but I hate doing water changes!!!!!!

Thanks!

For what it's worth, you can also get potassium nitrate in powder form. From my understanding, the stump remover is indeed pure KNO3, but just mixed in solution. Powder form potassium nitrate is used a great deal in the freshwater planted world (as well as agricultural obviously). About 3 bucks for a pound.

For what it's worth, you can also get potassium nitrate in powder form. From my understanding, the stump remover is indeed pure KNO3, but just mixed in solution. Powder form potassium nitrate is used a great deal in the freshwater planted world (as well as agricultural obviously). About 3 bucks for a pound.

Wait, wait, wait! From my understanding root killer is Copper Nitrate or Cu(II)NO3. If the stuff you buy looks blue, stay away!!! Copper is deadly to almost all lifeforms. 

Just read the ingredients. It would tell you.

Wait, wait, wait! From my understanding root killer is Copper Nitrate or Cu(II)NO3. If the stuff you buy looks blue, stay away!!! Copper is deadly to almost all lifeforms.

Just read the ingredients. It would tell you.

Yeah they claim it's 100% potassium nitrate. There is tons of info on R2R. It seems like people really have success with it there.

I thought it would be good to warn you, rather than say never use root killer.

Some people out there do things recklessly.

Much appreciated! Carbon dosing means I can just spill some gin and tonic in the tank right?!? Haha. People definitely do some crazy things.

• Like 1