Hello From Tigard/Portland!

iairj84

Hello everyone, 

I figured I would introduce myself on the forum here before I get too comfortable.... My reef keeping hobby has been put on hold for the past 4 years (renting in places where an aquarium is not allowed) and my wife and I are finally purchasing our first home, which means I can get back into the hobby again!!! After having visited Mcmenamin's in Beaverton/Tigard (the one with the 150-300g aquarium) my wife was again sold on the reef tank for the new home. With all that being said I have done the reef tank thing before and like many went from small nano FW aquarium, to larger planted tanks, then cichlids, then onto a nano reef tank, and all the way up to a 90 gallon with 40g sump and Metal Halides (before LED's were reasonable.) 

This go around I think it's best to start off somewhere in the middle, and I am thinking something like a 40g breeder (or a cube) with small sump/refuge will be just the ticket. I have also been looking at the all in one cubes, and while I like that option, the initial cost outlay is much higher, and I feel I can build something more to my liking that I can buy.... Anyways, all that being said I am happy to join this group of like minded individuals locally (relatively) and to share and learn from you all!! I have been involved with local clubs in the past and this seems like a great one!!

-Matt

• Like 1

Welcome aboard the club. I am usually in the same chain of thought as you about the build over All In One. An AIO is nice but the freedom to upgrade and customize the reef you own is something I find more satisfying as well as more functional, provided you make educated acquisitions of equipment.  If you can make it to the meeting even for a little bit you would meet a number of friendly like minded faces that would make it all worth while. A whole room full of people who can answer many if not most of your questions regarding the salt water hobby is of fun and value in itself.

Well, see you around the form yeah.

Thanks Guys!! Bigger is definitely always better... To be honest though at this stage I need to start off fairly small for my own sanity. The amount of time I used to spend making, mixing, and changing 20 gallons of water biweekly was quite a bit of effort, also the stress of keeping high end SPS while on vacation a lot was a lot at the time... I am certain in time I will upgrade, but will want to start reasonably small. 

My 40 gallon lasted a few months, then it was on to the 240!  Good luck and have fun!!

Automation has removed a tremendous amount of stress for me, APEX has been built up over the years to do all kinds of chores.

My dream final unit is a good reliable automated algae scraper.  At that point I would  have almost nothing to do to the tank other than refill kalk!