Arcade/Rasberry Pi/HyperSpin.....etc

R-3

Was just wondering if any of you out there have any experience in this area? Looking at building an arcade machine and I want it to run all the games I possibly can. 

Ive been messing with Hyperspin and RocketLauncher a little bit and its pretty cool. Just started to collect roms.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Ryan 

monthly_05_2015-86cc52c9a645ca22fe6c578b

• Like 1

Hyperspin is only Windows, As the Pi runs linux you can try compiling a different frontend similar to Hyperspin called "Cabrio"

I built a MAME machine years ago that I have considered swapping out the PC for a Pi, but given the current MAME set is over 300GB not including all the consoles Rom sets DC, PSX, GC, PS2, Saturn etc. I think a HDD is still a better option than MicroSD. I also have a cool little RetroPie system I built with 8bitdo controllers with an overclocked Pi3 that runs even the 64 Roms well!

Are you looking for a full size, a table top, just a control Panel to plug into the TV? You might want to check out KLOV.com that's the forums for all the Arcade people, if it still requires an Invite to get in let me know.

Arcade+Cab.jpg

Edited by Exodus

Im looking for something that I plug into a TV I think and possibly building something bigger in the future. I setup last night Hyperspin w/ Rocket Launcher and Retroarch and found about 700 SNES games that I played wayyyy to late lol.

Sounds like I need to come to your house! You still in Albany?

Yeah, I'm still in Albany but where I am living wasn't big enough for all my cabinets when I moved back almost 2 years ago they are currently in storage. Just waiting for the kid to graduate (she's a Junior) then I plan on moving and most likely purchasing a place and can get my cabinets out, but I still have my Retropie system!

In regards to what you are wanting, it sounds like a much better Idea. I built that MAME machine back in 02/03 from ground up, I have since always had to find a place to put it and my other cab when moving to different locations as moving them isn't bad enough already. While it's certainly awesome to have them, There are many times I wish I would have simply "just" built the control panel(s) installed the switches, Joysticks, iPac, Micro ATX board etc into it and run it from that on a TV, that would allow me to have it no matter where I went, and made easy storage and transportation. (trust me the "awe" of owning Arcade cabinets fades quickly) Especially when they become a burden, So I think your on the right track.

I would also ensure you set everything up on an SSD as you will only be writing to it a few times then it will be nothing but reading but will most certainly help in the emulation portion. It sounds like you have the Hyperspin already set up? if not I Can dig around for a link to a very long step by step tutorial I found on it some time ago, and you know about https://emumovies.com/? Thats where you get all the background/video clips/titles etc artwork for the gui in hyperspin. If you want to download complete sets at once i think its a lifetime membership for $45? not bad otherwise your restricted to 1GB daily on downloads.

Sounds awesome! If you ever have some free time I would love to pick your brain and maybe checkout your setup! I'll buy the beers!

Yeah no problem, before the end of the year I will begin having Fri/Sat/Sunday as of now I'm off Sun/Mon/Tue just give me a weeks notice and I can probably head up that way with my Retropie setup