Is this a good deal? (Craigslist find)

skarz

Stumbled upon this Craigslist ad and am wondering if you guys think it's a good deal. Here's the description:

36 Gallon bowfront reef tank with adjustable led lighting wavemaker,protein skimmer live rock,sand,corals,anemones, and fish. Has dark brown wood stand very nice tank needs nothing but more coral and fish. looking to sell for 400 obo make me an offer!!

h0bxPS2.jpg

T3VKyrG.jpg

0uabRa8.jpg

How I like to see a good deal is: $1/gal depending on if it's drilled, tank stand (free with tank), equipment unless it's fairly new $20-$50 depending on what it is. Sump should be roughly $20. Sand should be free, live rock depending on lbs. $1-$2/lbs. Personally, I've purchased a 120 gallon tank and stand drilled, plumbing included, skimmer, 100 lbs of dry rock and sump for $175.

Now the setup you are looking at does have an LED light, I would look at how much that cost by itself.

Just giving you an idea what a good bargain is. If I were to buy a 40 bowfront I would expect to pay $40-$50 for tank and stand.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by yellowseahorseguy

Personally, I think it's a pretty good deal. I think the lights are fairly lame but outside of that sure. I'd try to reduce it by $50 to $100....$300 would be legit I think.

How I like to see a good deal is: $1/gal depending on if it's drilled, tank stand (free with tank), equipment unless it's fairly new $20-$50 depending on what it is. Sump should be roughly $20. Sand should be free, live rock depending on lbs. $1-$2/lbs. Personally, I've purchased a 120 gallon tank and stand drilled, plumbing included, skimmer, 100 lbs of dry rock and sump for $175.

Now the setup you are looking at does have an LED light, I would look at how much that cost by itself.
Just giving you an idea what a good bargain is. If I were to buy a 40 bowfront I would expect to pay $40-$50 for tank and stand.

I hope that helps.

LOL....$1 per gallon is petco territory, not hobbiest and they are never drilled for that price. Stand free? Never....they don't come free with the tank and shouldn't expect to be given away. Sump for $20? Try telling that to ANY LFS....more like $200. $40 for a 40g bowfront, unlikely.

Not trying to be a turd, but this statement would be very unrealistic in my house. Maybe for a freshwater set up but absolutely not for a reef tank. Yes, deals like that come around from time to time....but so do $1500 50g set ups.

Edited by Fragged

Personally, I think it's a pretty good deal. I think the lights are fairly lame but outside of that sure. I'd try to reduce it by $50 to $100....$300 would be legit I think.

LOL....$1 per gallon is petco territory, not hobbiest and they are never drilled for that price. Stand free? Never....they don't come free with the tank and shouldn't expect to be given away. Sump for $20? Try telling that to ANY LFS....more like $200. $40 for a 40g bowfront, unlikely.

Not trying to be a turd, but this statement would be very unrealistic in my house. Maybe for a freshwater set up but absolutely not for a reef tank. Yes, deals like that come around from time to time....but so do $1500 50g set ups.

Well sorry to offend I guess I come from SoCal. And last month I bought an acrylic 50 gall tank, stand, canopy , lights MH, pump , mag pump, sump, plumbing, light and live rock for $75. I do think it's realistic since I've gotten these deals.

I worked with a lot of vendors down in SoCal and understand the true value at cost as well as when something is used. The question was asked and it was just how I spend my money.

Last month someone sold a bunch of things for $300, would you have said it was ridiculous? Well it happened.

I guess we all can't sell 50 gallon set ups for $1500.

But I value all opinions. We are here to help one another not devalue input. Or I hope that is what this forum is about.

• Like 2

Well sorry to offend I guess I come from SoCal. And last month I bought an acrylic 50 gall tank, stand, canopy , lights MH, pump , mag pump, sump, plumbing, light and live rock for $75. I do think it's realistic since I've gotten these deals.

I worked with a lot of vendors down in SoCal and understand the true value at cost as well as when something is used. The question was asked and it was just how I spend my money.

But I value all opinions. We are here to help one another not devalue input. Or I hope that is what this forum is about.

I too am from So Cal and have gotten steal deals, just isn't realistic to think all of them will go like that. My favorites are the fire sales.

I too am from So Cal and have gotten steal deals, just isn't realistic to think all of them will go like that. My favorites are the fire sales.

He was asking a question about a good deal. That was my explanation on how I view a good deal.

Remember you have an agenda. You sell 50 gallon tanks for $1500. You're setting a precedent that tanks should run about that much. I don't have any agenda but giving my own opinion and my experiences.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents....

Several ways of looking at this, is it a good deal? maybe, but why inherit someone else's potential problems as you don't know what the hell could crawl out of that rock one night. Also used tanks? never again! Not for me anyways, coming home to a split seam is no fun. 

For this kind of money you have more options you might not be aware of. For that kind of money if it was me i'd contact a few of our local custom tank builders again and go custom.

With having a custom tank built it's built to your specs, footprint, overflow design etc.. the excitement of delivery day and the fact you can come home peak your head around the corner and water still be in the tank is not too bad either.  :D

Slow and steady wins the race on this one and i'm a true believer you'll enjoy the hobby much more taking your time in choosing the right equipment even if it takes a little longer. Many of us here build our systems piece by piece. 

Just some food for thought i guess

• Like 2

I'm going to resell the tank, light, and most of the rock. I already have an established 29g with 10g sump. I'll just take the fish, coral, and skimmer. Sell the rest.

Must be one heck of a skimmer! What kind is it? What kind of equipment in general for that matter?

The corals shown in the pics are not exactly very pricey either. Seems like a lot to spend if all you're after is the skimmer, fish and a couple of common corals. Although the pink one is worth a little more imo.

Selling used equipment is sometimes easier said than done. Don't count your chickens before they hatch  :tongue:

Certain pumps, lights, skimmers have an excellent resale value, others you might have trouble giving away.

Edited by ChrisQ

I spoke to the guy and found out some info. He has one offer at $325. The wavemaker is a Jebao RW-8 and the skimmer is a Macro Aqua M-50. His corals are a green BTA, 2x frogspawn, and two others whose names I can't remember lol. The light is the generic eBay 165w LED.

Anyone know anything about the wavemaker or skimmer?

Looks like the jury is split on whether or not this is a good deal.

I get a kick out of chasing down good deals in the hobby.  

A kind hearted reefer sold me a 40b nearly complete set for 40 bucks years ago.  Really got me hooked and back into the hobby.  He knew what he was doing, like a drug dealer.

A good deal is in the eye of the beholder.  I have allot of 'good deals' sitting in my garage these days!  Perhaps we need a PNWMAS garage sale?

If you can have the cash for it, and feel good about it, go for it!

As for my opinion?

If you just need a skimmer mostly, consider getting a brand new one or a good used one.  One that is a bit oversized, as no doubt you will be upgrading tanks down the road.  This hobby does that to you ;)

Good luck!

• Like 2

I just bought a 20 gallon with a nice stand and sump already drilled. I washed everything off when I got home. The live rock is now dry rock and the tank and sump are crystal clean sitting dry in my living room. I'm a big fan of starting fresh. This is going to be my breeder tank/frag tank. I'm going to make it a frag only tank in the summer and put it outside for an outdoor system like the YouTuber 02manyfish I can't wait. Probly just gonna try tons of Zoas and a few faster growing coral that like high light. Any suggestions? I'll be sure to post the entire thing on here

I just bought a 20 gallon with a nice stand and sump already drilled. I washed everything off when I got home. The live rock is now dry rock and the tank and sump are crystal clean sitting dry in my living room. I'm a big fan of starting fresh. This is going to be my breeder tank/frag tank. I'm going to make it a frag only tank in the summer and put it outside for an outdoor system like the YouTuber 02manyfish I can't wait. Probly just gonna try tons of Zoas and a few faster growing coral that like high light. Any suggestions? I'll be sure to post the entire thing on here

Cool, a summer outdoor frag tank?  I like it!

Looks like the jury is split on whether or not this is a good deal.

I get a kick out of chasing down good deals in the hobby.  

A kind hearted reefer sold me a 40b nearly complete set for 40 bucks years ago.  Really got me hooked and back into the hobby.  He knew what he was doing, like a drug dealer.

A good deal is in the eye of the beholder.  I have allot of 'good deals' sitting in my garage these days!  Perhaps we need a PNWMAS garage sale?

If you can have the cash for it, and feel good about it, go for it!

As for my opinion?

If you just need a skimmer mostly, consider getting a brand new one or a good used one.  One that is a bit oversized, as no doubt you will be upgrading tanks down the road.  This hobby does that to you ;)

Good luck!

I like the garage sale/swap meet idea!  I know I have a 125gallon Tricon in my basement with stand, canopy, lights, etc. that my wife would love to have out of the way.  Too bad so much of this gear is a pain to move though...

• Like 2

Just my 2 cents....

Several ways of looking at this, is it a good deal? maybe, but why inherit someone else's potential problems as you don't know what the hell could crawl out of that rock one night. Also used tanks? never again! Not for me anyways, coming home to a split seam is no fun.

For this kind of money you have more options you might not be aware of. For that kind of money if it was me i'd contact a few of our local custom tank builders again and go custom.

With having a custom tank built it's built to your specs, footprint, overflow design etc.. the excitement of delivery day and the fact you can come home peak your head around the corner and water still be in the tank is not too bad either. :D

Slow and steady wins the race on this one and i'm a true believer you'll enjoy the hobby much more taking your time in choosing the right equipment even if it takes a little longer. Many of us here build our systems piece by piece.

Just some food for thought i guess

This is what I should have worded my response like. I agree with this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I like the garage sale/swap meet idea! I know I have a 125gallon Tricon in my basement with stand, canopy, lights, etc. that my wife would love to have out of the way. Too bad so much of this gear is a pain to move though...

I have tanks, lights, plumbing parts, and other randomness as well....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

So, some backstory and follow up here. A while back I was looking at my Leave & Earnings Statement and noticed my pay was not right. I talked to finances and they said I'd be getting a check for $1200 and that was the money I was going to use on this tank. Lo and behold, the finance department also noticed they OVER paid me $1600 so they'd be taking the $1200 and I would have to pay them the $400 difference... FML right?!

Long story short, if you're in the military... CHECK EVERY LES!!

Edited by skarz

So, some backstory and follow up here. A while back I was looking at my Leave & Earnings Statement and noticed my pay was not right. I talked to finances and they said I'd be getting a check for $1200 and that was the money I was going to use on this tank. Lo and behold, the finance department also noticed they OVER paid me $1600 so they'd be taking the $1200 and I would have to pay them the $400 difference... FML right?!

Long story short, if you're in the military... CHECK EVERY LES!!

Dang....that's weak. Pump fake....