September Meeting Saturday Sep 24!! Food! Frag swap! Raffles Galore!

Emerald525

What: PNWMAS September meeting

Presentation: Basics of running a calcium reactor by Higher Thinking :clap:  :clap: 

Where: Higher Thinking's House (Andrew)

Scappoosse Area

(pm me or him for the address or look on the FB page or get on the evite list)

When: Saturday Sep 24

from 2 to 4 pm

Save the date! Get the time off! Come see Higher Thinking's sweet 180 gallon tank! Here's a link to his build thread!

6246cfb99700e4e8b820b954595ed9bb.jpg

0d71aeb1e84e5f9e7aea720cb427e15e.jpg

Higher thinking is a talented guy who knows a thing or 2 about the mechanics of putting together a tank.  He has graciously offered to open his home and offer up some good food and has kindly agreed to give a presentation of the basics of running a calcium reactor. :icon_bow: 

Calcium reactors are a great and cost effective way to maintain calcium levels in your tank. I personally feel if you have a larger tank like his , this is the way to go as dosing can get quite expensive for a larger system.. (believe me I know... :) )

Those who simply are thinking about upgrading and want a larger tank you can learn a lot just seeing other people's systems and Higher Thinking carefully planned his out so this is a great opportunity to learn!

As always there will be a raffle! Stay posted to see what items we will have! :thumbs: 

Frag swap as always and great food!  :yahoo: 

Heck I just want to go just to see his cool dog! :tongue: 

• Like 3

Are we planning to do a frag tank? It would be great to see one, but I know they are a lot of work.

It was nice to have one. Talk to Bert about that one. The 2 of you got one set up in no time and of course see if there is room! :) It also works well to just take pictures ahead of time and post them up on a thread. :)

Thanks for putting that up, Kim! Great work. I'm pumped to host the event. I'll post up some details on food shortly.

And it's finally time for college football, so that'll be on the big screen for sure!!

There's definitely room to set up a tank. I'll chat with Robert and see what his thoughts are.

Yay! Football! And yeah a frag tank!

Keep posted to this thread I will be letting you know what the raffle items will be! :)

Miles and I are working out the final kinks in getting a frag tank setup at this meeting. I have all the necessary equipment so things are looking pretty good on our end. The setup at the Richard Ross meeting worked very well and we plan on using the same configuration but making this one even better.  I suggest you all get your coral frags ready for a good ole fashioned coral swap this coming 24th because it is on.

Southpark%20its%20on_zpsdmbjm5ko.gif

And its gonna be good.

• Like 5

Okay now that labor day is over and the kids are back in school we can focus on some more fun! First raffle item up is 

2 gift certificates to Avast Marine Works!

This is a great company that took the idea of DIY and ran with it! They have a lot of amazing products including the porthole that we just did a group buy for and the swabbie that keeps your skimmer neck nice and clean!

Here is their website! Check them out they have some great items!

http://www.avastmarine.com/

• Like 2

Hopefully there will be some people from the Washington area coming to the September meeting so we will have some gift certificates for the Washington stores!. 

The next raffle items will be 2 OIAB gift certificates!

Very nice store with lots of display tanks for fish and corals. I got a nice chalice there when we had a party bus tour last year and it is still doing well!

I have heard rumors that there will be a new owner but that Jason is still around. 

Definitely worth checking him out.

Okay I'm back from Macna which was a lot of fun. Holly picked up a lot of swag that she will be handing out at the September meeting. 

The next raffle item we will have is a 50 dollar gift certificate to TPA. That's the Premium Aquarium in Salem the original one. This will make it worth your while to drive up from Salem and stop by Garrett's on the way home to get some more coral!

You can get something nice for 50 dollars and Garrett has done a lot of new things with his shop so even if you are not in the Salem area it is worth a drive!

• Like 1

Here is a sampling of the swag I picked up--a few t-shirts, an alk test, hat, little backpacks...ae96fdc494919b7fb4e643e57a571619.jpg

And look at this adorable poster! I picked up a few. If Karen, Jim, Aubrey, or anyone else with TFT is going to be at the meeting you've got dibs. Otherwise, they're free game.

6e45635bc5ff3434b8771f4264a9039d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Alright everyone, I've been slacking on trying to get food posted for the meeting. Work has had nothing but long days and it will be like that through the end of the year. Which makes me look forward to our meetings all the more! Such a needed break to just have a good time!

Anyway, I'm going with pulled pork as the main entree. I'm also going to get some mac and cheese from a local restaurant which should be amazing!

As always, food is never required, but for those who are able, let's pencil that in. Baked beans, fruit, vegetables, desserts, breads, pasta, whatever y'all want! I'm secretly hoping that corn casserole makes another guest appearance.

I'm going to make a few different portions of varying degrees of spicy. If you don't eat pork, I'll make you a steak. If you don't eat red meat, I'll make you some chicken. If you only eat fish, guess I'll fry you up a filet. If you don't eat any meat, I'll get an extra head of lettuce for you to eat ;) (kind of joking on that last one).

Anyway, I'm excited to see everyone, talk about calcium reactors, and show off the fish tanks. And of course eat some bomb food.

Last, I think my wife might be baking fish themed cupcakes. We'll see how motivated I can get her.

Edited by Higher Thinking
  • Like 4

Alright everyone, I've been slacking on trying to get food posted for the meeting. Work has had nothing but long days and it will be like that through the end of the year. Which makes me look forward to our meetings all the more! Such a needed break to just have a good time!

Anyway, I'm going with pulled pork as the main entree. I'm also going to get some mac and cheese from a local restaurant which should be amazing!

As always, food is never required, but for those who are able, let's pencil that in. Baked beans, fruit, vegetables, desserts, breads, pasta, whatever y'all want! I'm secretly hoping that corn casserole makes another guest appearance.

I'm going to make a few different portions of varying degrees of spicy. If you don't eat pork, I'll make you a steak. If you don't eat red meat, I'll make you some chicken. If you only eat fish, guess I'll fry you up a filet. If you don't eat any meat, I'll get an extra head of lettuce for you to eat ;) (kind of joking on that last one).

Anyway, I'm excited to see everyone, talk about calcium reactors, and show off the fish tanks. And of course eat some bomb food.

Last, I think my wife might be baking fish themed cupcakes. We'll see how motivated I can get her.

Wow, Andrew! This is going to be a great meeting all the way around. Thank you so much for all you're doing.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

This sounds like another fun meeting!! Thanks again Andrew for hosting and I'm hoping to learn something new about calcium reactors!!!

Thanks again for agreeing to do the talk!

Sirena and I will bring some delicious and healthy side dishes!

There are also some more raffle items to come!! Keep posted !!

The next raffle Item is Rod's food. I saw Rod at Macna. He's a very down to earth and humble guy with a great product. His food is nutritionally complete and irresistible to fish. I use the original blend to feed my own fish and it works well for new fish who are stressed and don't want to eat!!

The pack includes the original blend , seaweed for all your algae eaters and pacific plankton which is similar to mysis!!

4D41BDEA-0DA8-45B5-9E78-9AD60B83ABA4_zps

• Like 4

Free T shirts to supporting members!!!!

This will be the last time we will have these t-shirts available. We will be working on a new design so get these while you can. 

The front was designed by a contest winner Tobyflenderson a former member (he also won the zoa naming contest for the Krakatoa zoa that you may have all heard about  :) )

The only catch is you have to be at the September meeting and you have to be a supporting member! These are high quality thick Hanes shirts and retail for 20 dollars!

only one t-shirt per supporting member while supplies last!!!!

Here's the facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1833105866920646/

This is the front!

75781578-83E9-4534-9F2C-2686B7E996F6_zps

The back has our wonderful logo!

5A04715C-AF96-4A37-B5D4-F2214A4FE27F_zps

• Like 1

Meeting is just around the corner now! Coming up this Saturday. How about some more raffle items!

How about a 50 dollar Barrier Reef certificate?!! :clap:  Cy the owner has been a long time supporter. He has a nice little shop in the Renton area. I highly recommend stopping by if you are ever driving to Seattle. It's right off the highway. He's a very down to earth guy and had some good deals at the Bob Moore frag swap this past February!

If driving is too far away, no worries he has an online store too!

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/

• Like 1

Meeting is just in 2 days how about another raffle item?

How does a 50 dollar gift certificate to Upscales sound? :clap:  :clap:  Travis has been around for a long time. He has a great store. He had a lot to do with the introduction of the Oregon blue tort as well as the Upscales Microlados.

He is located in Tualitin area and 50 dollars can get you a nice frag of something!  :thumbs: 

Here's his website!

http://www.upscales.com/home.html

• Like 1

Wow... sounds like you are going all out Andrew!  Would love to see the fish-themed cupcakes (who doesn't like a cupcake). I should probably pick up one of those beginner's coral ID posters for myself... seem to have forgotten a lot over the last 6 years.

• Like 3