Drilling an established tank for a sump?

AcanLord

Hi, I've got what's bound to be a stupid question. I have a 72 bowfront. I finally have all my LR set up the way I like it and everything is super healthy but lately the water quality has been getting high nutrients faster because I've added more fish. I'd like to add a few more but I would also like to have a sump for the added benefits. I don't like the look of the HOB overflow and I would prefer a drilled internal overflow box.

I really don't want to drain my tank and move all my fish and coral to other people's tanks or buckets just to drill a quick hole. Can you drill the tank while it's set up? I understand the bit needs to be cooled and that might make a small mess on the floor but I can put down towels. I just want to know if it would be ok for the fish and the glass? Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this?

Seems dangerous when I was just drilling glass I had alot more water cooling the bit than towels could handle was running a garden hose at pretty high flow rate. Also seems very risky. I'm going to drill my 125 soon for overflows and I'm scared and it doesn't have anything in it.

Eschopps external overflow boxes work great!  I vote don't drill an established tank.  I can't imagine having glass particulate in there (and I doubt you'd avoid it) is going to be good for gills and what not.  I did the same thing you did on our 75g and have come to actually appreciate the overflow boxes.  They don't actually take as much room and you can easily adjust the water level of your tank.  That said, I'll definitely be drilling future tanks.  

Feel free to PM me to chat about the use of externals if you'd like.  I have been using one on each tank for a while with no problems. 

Drilled many tanks.... I would remove everything and be prepared for it to crack. Cooling the galss drill hole saw requires antifreeze or steady stream of water. Hard to do with fish/corals in tank.

I vote eshopps overflow...

Seems dangerous when I was just drilling glass I had alot more water cooling the bit than towels could handle was running a garden hose at pretty high flow rate. Also seems very risky. I'm going to drill my 125 soon for overflows and I'm scared and it doesn't have anything in it.

So if you don't mind a little secret, turn 125 on its front side, protected of course, place towels on the inside to catch glass shards and to protect tank when drill goes through. I use wood template clamped on to hold hole saw from drifting when it starts. Once started I remove template and place a ring of plumbers putty round the hole about two incjphes wider than hole I'm drilling I filled that ring with cool water and start drilling. If water gets low, add more!!!

So if you don't mind a little secret, turn 125 on its front side, protected of course, place towels on the inside to catch glass shards and to protect tank when drill goes through. I use wood template clamped on to hold hole saw from drifting when it starts. Once started I remove template and place a ring of plumbers putty round the hole about two incjphes wider than hole I'm drilling I filled that ring with cool water and start drilling. If water gets low, add more!!!

Very solid advice. I've actually seen someone drill a perfect hole and the glass piece they cut out fell out of the bit through the hole and broke the opposite side panel

Thank you I still need to figure what size holes to drill and how many and overflow design!but good to know I was lucky enough to drill my other holes on the drill press but not sure I'll be able to do the tank on there.

Thank you I still need to figure what size holes to drill and how many and overflow design!but good to know I was lucky enough to drill my other holes on the drill press but not sure I'll be able to do the tank on there.

Good to have 2 drain holes to tune for silent overflow without worry about flooding. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Good to have 2 drain holes to tune for silent overflow without worry about flooding. :)

Thank you I'm thinking I'm going to go the bean animal route but I'm not sure how I want the overflow to be internal or external I'm leaning towards coast to coast internal. But not 100% on that.