Heater talk

The ReefBox

Let's talk heaters!

What do you use, how do you control your heating and problems you have experienced from heaters.

Why am I posting this? Well with fall and winter coming it's time to prepare and not wait. I know lots of people have there "no" heater theory but not everyone can employee this technique.

I have read up a lot on heaters and issues so it's good to keep it fresh.

I am looking to figure out how to use a Ranco heater controller with a titanium heating element . If anyone does this or knows how please pass on the information.

I used to use that setup before I got my Apex, it worked great. Just wire the plug in and set it and forget it. Those Ranco's are very accurate in my experience. 

I currently use my Apex with an Eheim heater. I have heard a lot of talk about people running two smaller heaters instead of one large in case of failure. I have thought about trying that. Anyone use that method? 

• Like 1

Here is my elaborate and overdone setup  :nutty:  :congratulatory:  :D

Main System

Apex controlled heaters.

2 temp probes, either can shut off heaters, either can trigger alarms/texts

Main Heaters on different EB8 outlets (outlets can go bad, also pay attention to amp ratings on outlets)

One APEX EB8 on frag tank.  

It runs the heater and other things, on a different electrical circuit from the main tank.  

The idea is to get circuit redundancy and keep the frag tank warm if the frag feed pump ever goes out.

• Like 1

Main System

Apex controlled heaters.

Main Heaters on different EB8 outlets (outlets can go bad, also pay attention to amp ratings on outlets)

It runs the heater and other things, on a different electrical circuit from the main tank.  

The idea is to get circuit redundancy and keep the frag tank warm if the frag feed pump ever goes out.

So are you using a glass heater with built in thermometer or titanium and apex does the rest?

Built in thermostat, its another layer of redundancy.

Although I have 4 heaters so that no single heater sticking on can overheat the tank:

I mostly am using these now.  

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.htm

They have no glass, are supposedly shatterproof.

I have GFCIs on individual outlets, so if a heater broke and tripped the gfci, it could shut down just that one outlet.  Other heaters would continue to work.

Built in thermostat, its another layer of redundancy.

Although I have 4 heaters so that no single heater sticking on can overheat the tank:

I mostly am using these now.  

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.htm

They have no glass, are supposedly shatterproof.

I have GFCIs on individual outlets, so if a heater broke and tripped the gfci, it could shut down just that one outlet.  Other heaters would continue to work.

Looks like 250 watt is biggest.

Could be, I think mine are all 200 and 150s.  

That keeps 450 gallons warm.  I like that no single heater can cook the tank...

Like I said though, mine is elaborate and probably overdone.  Everything in the tank is so precious though, and so are trouble free vacations!

Main System

Apex controlled heaters.

This is sweet - gotta love multiple redundancies!

• Like 1

I used to use that setup before I got my Apex, it worked great. Just wire the plug in and set it and forget it. Those Ranco's are very accurate in my experience.

I currently use my Apex with an Eheim heater. I have heard a lot of talk about people running two smaller heaters instead of one large in case of failure. I have thought about trying that. Anyone use that method?

In my old tanks I've only done this. It really helped to keep my tanks at a stable temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 3 ebo jaegers. They are all over 10 years old. I like my tank at 79-80 so I have one set at 76, one at 78, and one at 80. All three have their own built in thermostats.All 3 are controlled by my Apex unit to shut down if the tank hits 82. 

I have been did it this way sans Apex for about 8 years and never had a problem, but with the Apex why not set it up like that too.

• Like 2

DIY heater/fan controller with Arduino. 3 temp probes, 2 in sump for sanity check. 1 measure room temp. 2 heaters connected to controller, normally only turn 1 on when needed. The other is backup. If room temp is below 65F when on vacation, both heaters will turn on. If main heater is on but temp continues to drop 2 deg below set temp, main heater will be disabled and switch to backup heater. Text msg will be send to notify heater failure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DIY heater/fan controller with Arduino. 3 temp probes, 2 in sump for sanity check. 1 measure room temp. 2 heaters connected to controller, normally only turn 1 on when needed. The other is backup. If room temp is below 65F when on vacation, both heaters will turn on. If main heater is on but temp continues to drop 2 deg below set temp, main heater will be disabled and switch to backup heater. Text msg will be send to notify heater failure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Good redundancy there bud

I use 3 ebo jaegers. They are all over 10 years old. I like my tank at 79-80 so I have one set at 76, one at 78, and one at 80. All three have their own built in thermostats.All 3 are controlled by my Apex unit to shut down if the tank hits 82. 

I have been did it this way sans Apex for about 8 years and never had a problem, but with the Apex why not set it up like that too.

Pledoshpy how many eb8 you running?

• 3 weeks later...

Pledoshpy how many eb8 you running?

No I run an EB8 and an EB4. 

I conserve some plugs by using powerstrips for things like lights/fans, CAreactor intake/mixer, all dosing pump, etc etc. I actually have a free spot I am going to use and put a carbon reactor on stand by. 

No I run an EB8 and an EB4. 

I conserve some plugs by using powerstrips for things like lights/fans, CAreactor intake/mixer, all dosing pump, etc etc. I actually have a free spot I am going to use and put a carbon reactor on stand by. 

I see.................no apex programming on the lights/fans/dosers etc ?