Custom Acrylic Clear Mesh Top

TheClark

I am so very pleased with how this turned out, thought it was worth sharing.

There is a local guy up here who is a design master, and has a huge CNC to back it up.

He can make anything custom you need out of acrylic or many other materials.

He built me a beautiful custom acyrlic screen top complete with clear mesh and hinges.  Price was very reasonable, usually I don't get many custom items for the reef tank!

The first trip out he measured the tank, opening, and curves and mocked it up in sketchup:

bsk9VRB.png

Then came back with this design:

kZfiNaO.png

He fired up the CNC and cut it out, beautiful results. We added the screen and it is in service now. Here are the results (excuse the salt creep)

1e2a0c89c3fc0fe2a9fd02ad0eb71fab.jpg

37600fd708171556d4bc917e4cd43c26.jpg

• Like 8

Yes Jorge, his stuff definitely has that artfully acyrlic look!

I highly recommend contacting Eric if you ever need custom work.  He can build all kinds of stuff with the CNC that would be difficult by hand.

Anyone can shoot me a PM if interested...  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am so very pleased with how this turned out, thought it was worth sharing.

There is a local guy up here who is a design master, and has a huge CNC to back it up.

He can make anything custom you need out of acrylic or many other materials.

He built me a beautiful custom acyrlic screen top complete with clear mesh and hinges.  Price was very reasonable, usually I don't get many custom items for the reef tank!

The first trip out he measured the tank, opening, and curves and mocked it up in sketchup:

bsk9VRB.png

Then came back with this design:

kZfiNaO.png

He fired up the CNC and cut it out, beautiful results. We added the screen and it is in service now. Here are the results (excuse the salt creep)

1e2a0c89c3fc0fe2a9fd02ad0eb71fab.jpg

37600fd708171556d4bc917e4cd43c26.jpg

Looks great! Nice job!

• Like 1

What does something like that cost? If you don't mind me asking.

Depends how extensive of a lid you need. My lid has a dado around the whole lid to sit flush.

I assume from 50-100s!

It's just the warping of the lid might be a problem for many people? Like for me my light on the 10gallon AIO Nuvo using a OR 2040 so it's a lot of output.

On Daugters 50 gallon just went to HD bought screen kit and from BRS clear mesh and your good to go!

What does something like that cost? If you don't mind me asking.

They vary in cost depending on size, design, etc.  However for custom work it was surprisingly affordable.  This is the only custom professional item I have on the reef system just due to costs already sunk in this hobby :)  If interested it never hurts to ask Eric.

Any acrylic will bend/warp if expose to water or the humidity trapped by the acrylic itself.  Over flow covers will warp even if using material up to and including 3/4", and some cases 1".  The trick is to make the opening larger on the screen than the hole for the tank. Just gotta make sure no piece of acrylic extends over an opening of the tank, then no warp. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...