May Meeting! Richard Ross - "The Secrets of Reef Keeping"

JManrow

Our May Meeting - A PNWMAS Special Event! - Richard Ross presents -  "The Secrets of Reef Keeping."

PNWMAS is proud to bring to the Pacific Northwest as our guest speaker, Richard Ross - Marine Biologist at the Steinhart Aquarium in the California Academy of Sciences. Richard has spoken at almost all MACNA events. As lead biologist of the California Academy of Science’s Philippine Coral Reef team, he is responsible for day-to-day care of the world’s deepest coral reef display, a 212,000-gallon tank home to thousands of colorful tropical fishes and corals. One of his most requested presentations is "Secrets of Reef Keeping"! Here is your chance to ask Richard his secrets to keeping a successful reef? Calcium reactor vs dosing ? Bio pellets ? Vodka dosing ? Lanthum chloride ? Bring your questions! This will be one of the most interesting and informative talks you will ever attend, for all Reef Keepers, from the Beginner to the Advanced Aquarists!

We are also grateful to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Washington - Clinton & Gloria John Clubhouse for providing the use of their Auditorium for this exciting event!

****************************************************************************************

Location: Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Washington - Clinton & Gloria John Clubhouse   

Address: 409 NE Anderson St, Vancouver, WA 98665 – (off  Hazel Dell Ave.) https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/Boys+%26+Girls+Clubs+of+Southwest+Washington+-+Clinton+%26+Gloria+John+Clubhouse+409+NE+Anderson+St,+Vancouver,+WA+98665/data=!4m5!4m4!1m0!1m2!1m1!1s0x5495aeee9a68e1c3:0x11f767bce399c923?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMxfz0i93LAhVC02MKHdHMDNkQ9RcIfDAL

Date: Saturday, May 14th, 2016

Time: 2:00PM to 5:00PM

Free Admission! Bring your friends!

Phone:(360) 313-5670

Rich%20Octo_zpsl8zxzzhf.jpg

About Richard Ross

Richard Ross is a Senior Biologist at the Steinhart Aquarium in the California Academy of Sciences where he cultures and cares for exotic cephalopods, fish & coral, participates in ongoing field work on coral spawning, animal collection & transport, and manages tropical saltwater displays including the 212,000 Philippine Coral Reef exhibit. He is a prolific writer and speaker, authoring academic papers (notably on the Larger Pacific Striped Octopus) and a catalogue of articles on aquarium and reef related educational topics including his Skeptical Reefkeeping series which focuses on critical thinking, responsibility and ethics of aquarium keeping. Richard was presented with the MASNA Aquarist of the Year award in 2015, and his work has been covered by Scientific American, National Geographic, Penn¹s Sunday School, Science Friday, Discovery News and Fox News.
Richard has kept saltwater animals for over 25 years, has worked in aquarium industry and trade (maintenance, retail, wholesale) and has consulted for a coral farm/fish collecting station in the South Pacific.

The California Academy of Sciences is a world-class scientific and cultural institution based in San Francisco, home to Steinhart Aquarium, Morrison Planetarium, and Kimball Natural History Museum, along with research and education programs. In 2008, the Academy opened a new LEED Platinum-rated facility, and remains the only institution in the world to combine all of those elements under one roof. Founded in 1853, the Academy is driven by a mission to explore, explain and protect the natural world. Visit www.calacademy.org for more information.

222527_358755317547273_1699593298_n-L_zp

Rich%20Octohead_zpsm9zugyhz.jpg

Why is there an octopus on Rich’s head? 
While training divers on responsible and sustainable fish and coral collection in Tonga, we came across this octopus. As Tonga is mostly a substance culture, the divers we were training wanted to catch the octopus to help feed their families. One of them grabbed a claw hammer and proceeded to smash up several meters of coral while catching the octopus. One the boat I asked him ‘we just spent all day talking about how not to damage the reef, and there are easier ways to catch octopus, so why use a hammer?’. He answered ‘they bite’. ‘No they don’t’ I said, picking up the octopus and putting it on my head, where luckily it didn’t bite me, going on to discuss better ways to catch octopus. We then talked about how sustainable and responsible ideas applied to everything including fishing, and how respecting habitat means there will be creatures there for a long time to come.

• Like 7

Im really excited about this one. This guy was the keynote speaker at Bob Moore Frag Swap a year ago and a true pioneer in the industry. One of the keynote speakers at MACNA every year. The Steinhart Aquarium is the nicest public aquarium Ive ever seen(better then Monterey). Everybody mark there calendars because this is one you will not want to miss!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not seeing anything other than 2-5....

Weird. Here it is:

PNWMAS is proud to bring to the Pacific Northwest as our guest speaker, Richard Ross - Marine Biologist at the Steinhart Aquarium in the California Academy of Sciences. Richard has spoken at almost all MACNA events. As lead biologist of the California Academy of Science’s Philippine Coral Reef team, he is responsible for day-to-day care of the world’s deepest coral reef display, a 212,000-gallon tank home to thousands of colorful tropical fishes and corals. One of his most requested presentations is "Secrets of Reef Keeping"! Here is your chance to ask Richard his secrets to keeping a successful reef? Calcium reactor vs dosing ? Bio pellets ? Vodka dosing ? Lanthum chloride ? Bring your questions! This will be one of the most interesting and informative talks you will ever attend, for all Reef Keepers, from the Beginner to the Advanced Aquarists!

We are also grateful to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Washington - Clinton & Gloria John Clubhouse for providing the use of their Auditorium for this exciting event!

****************************************************************************************

Location: Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Washington - Clinton & Gloria John Clubhouse  

Address: 409 NE Anderson St, Vancouver, WA 98665 – (off Hazel Dell Ave.) https://www.google.c...dHMDNkQ9RcIfDAL

BAH!!!

Photobucket is giving me trouble, I can't even upload all these pics. It is looking like I will be posting things up tomorrow instead with hopes that their site has regained function.

But i have to say this one was another blast, Rich proved to be a very intelligent person with quite the sense of humor. it was a very entertaining talk to say the least.

A Big Thank You to JMan for tracking down another great guest speaker, Thank You Gumby for finding such a suiting venue, and Thank you PNWMAS Team for getting everything put together. No one person can pull off such good meetings like this. Gill&Fin,Mr. Bret, Emerald, KKnight, MattV, Sirena, You all know who you are. And Thank you to the BOD for giving us the support and input that really rounds things out, wonderful people here in our club. 

• Like 7

Richard was talking a lot about how people argue their point on things, wether what they are saying is true or not.....a point well taken from him is that some of the smartest people out there will tell you " I don't know " when you ask them a question they don't know the answer to, instead of making something up that sounds good but really has no scientific backing. The point of this one was just because someone is an Expert, doesn't mean everything coming out of their mouth is cure, or the end all truth. 20160514_145301_zps7sywbqrw.jpg

• Like 1

To demonstrate the point the people will believe anything, Richard and a friend made up this Fictious product called " InstaFlow "      He still has a few people message or call every year asking about how they can get some. 

Please look at and read that label.......It even says on the label " This product does not actualyt exist " lol20160514_150948_zpsea1mx96a.jpg

I didn't grab that many pictures, but wanted to add what i had. If you weren't there i'm sure the mem's don't get the points across very well.....Richard Ross was a Very entertaining and down to earth all around cool guy.  I think everyone there would say the same thing. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the pictures Bret. Hopefully Robert can get the photobucket going. I totally agree this was a great talk. I have some pictures too I will post later after Robert as I don't want to duplicate anything he says. Very dynamic speaker who held my interest which is hard to do sometimes!

Thanks John for getting it all arranged. At dinner Friday Richard said we were one of the best hosts. John picked him up, took him to Cuttlefish , UCHU and Molokos.

• Like 3