ca Reactor pump questions

The ReefBox

If you can figure this out, let me. know. I've been having quite the battle dialing in my reactor specifically because I can't get my effluent consistent.

I'm running it off my return pump, but it's always needing adjustments. I only run it on a steady drip, but after a couple days it will slow way down, sometimes even stopping. Super frustrating for sure.

If you can figure this out, let me. know. I've been having quite the battle dialing in my reactor specifically because I can't get my effluent consistent.

I'm running it off my return pump, but it's always needing adjustments. I only run it on a steady drip, but after a couple days it will slow way down, sometimes even stopping. Super frustrating for sure.

Exactly what's happening with mine and thing it has to do with being hooked into the return pump that is why I am going back to auxiliary pump. When I had a dedicated rector pump it was flawless

I run a sicce 1.5, reduced down to 1/4" tubing, with a tee that allows majority bypass back into the sump. That way I've got pump pressure at all times, but not over pressuring my reactor, and making my needle valve so sensitive. I read it and saw details online somewhere when I was setting my ca reactor up. Works pretty good for me

I run a sicce 1.5, reduced down to 1/4" tubing, with a tee that allows majority bypass back into the sump. That way I've got pump pressure at all times, but not over pressuring my reactor, and making my needle valve so sensitive. I read it and saw details online somewhere when I was setting my ca reactor up. Works pretty good for me

Can you post a picture?

One advantage of a separate pump... You can have APEX turn it off if the PH crashes in the reactor.  This could possibly prevent a crash.

Another possible advantage...  It is not susceptible to pressure changes in anything else on the manifold.

I have been using this 12 dollar pump with good results, steady flow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWSPLS0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It is cheap to have a backup pump too at this price.

Arson makes an excellent point.  If your pressure is fluctuating for any reason such as:

- Regulator

- Solenoid opening/closing 

That could cause fluctuating flow also as the pressure inside the reactor fluctuates the pressure on the feed pump fluctuates also.

I dunno, a good dual stage regulator really makes a big difference on pressure fluctuation.  Worse case when I am out of tune, the solenoid only runs every 10 minutes or so.  When needle valve is well tuned for the target PH, it can go for hours or even days without toggling the solenoid.

This thread is great if you like DIY:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2461771

If you don't, wanareef makes them locally and I hear they are top notch.

Feeling kind of dumb lucky, my flow is very steady for long periods of time...  I have plenty of  'other' problems to deal with..  Sharing for what its worth in case someone can get some ideas from this info...

You don't think it will work? Was just thinking it would be more consistent. Seams like every time I get mine dialed in its time to add media or gas and I start all over again.

Hey Matt,

On a similar note I tried using a dosing pump head to feed kalk.  Even added a PWM controller on it to control pump speed and flow.  Put that on an apex outlet and ran it periodically to hit the target flow.

It was very precise, which was awesome.  The downside for me is that the dosing heads I had did not last for more than a month or two.  They were easy and low cost to change, but not always predictable.  It is retired now for that reason. 

I am sure you have seen the RC threads where folks have the high end 400 dollar plus peristaltic pumps.  Give unlimited reef resources those would sure be nice.  If you can make the dosing pump work that is a huge win...

If you want my pump housing with the pwm speed controller shoot a pm and its yours.

Heck I see the 4 head Jebao pumps are 69 bucks now on amazon, unreal!

Hey Matt,

On a similar note I tried using a dosing pump head to feed kalk.  Even added a PWM controller on it to control pump speed and flow.  Put that on an apex outlet and ran it periodically to hit the target flow.

It was very precise, which was awesome.  The downside for me is that the dosing heads I had did not last for more than a month or two.  They were easy and low cost to change, but not always predictable.  It is retired now for that reason. 

I am sure you have seen the RC threads where folks have the high end 400 dollar plus peristaltic pumps.  Give unlimited reef resources those would sure be nice.  If you can make the dosing pump work that is a huge win...

If you want my pump housing with the pwm speed controller shoot a pm and its yours.

Heck I see the 4 head Jebao pumps are 69 bucks now on amazon, unreal!

I am using a wannareef built regulator and adjust after the reactor as well I think the issue is from coming out of the manifold it throttled down because to much inlet pressure can cause leaks and or crack reactor. Jeremy I just read a good article about using perilistic pumps for reactors and says it can be done but requires a high end doser than can deliver 20-150 ml per minute so the cheap stuff is out of the equation

• Like 1