aiptasia

LadySaber

Ok seems that I just found 4 of these little buggers on one of the skeleton coral that my frogspawn is part of. They are on one of the long dead heads at least not next to my frog spawn. I almost didnt notice them since they are tiny. Time to remove them before they grow. Thoughts on the easiest way and most natural way of removing them? I know peppermint shrimp work but not sure where to get one that actually eats them. I heard I can use vinegar to inject them but boy they are tiny for me to try to stick them.

I downloaded and saved a photo that shows all the different types of peps top and side view so I know if it's the right one. I will be going Friday shrimp hunting, in the meantime took Holly's and everyone's suggestion ordered some aphasia x to help. I did pull the frog that had some on it and sealed the buggers with regular superglue. So far I haven't seen any waving and teasing me. Ok not totally true. Out of no where I saw one where my cleaner shrimp hangs out. I swear it just magically appeared, since it right in front out in the open!! Oh thanks for those who came over and thinned out my tanks of xenia.

Tank is aiptasia free now thank you peppermint shrimp! Mandinga is right you have to make sure you don't end up with camelback shrimp as they will eat your corals too. Jeff at cuttlefish has peppermints.

I was using joes juice and it works but I can't compete with a shrimp that is in the tank 24 hours a day!

I find a hypodermic needle with boiling water and lemon juice is the best by far if you can't remove them from the tank. If you can remove the rock, a lighter is the best IME.

I do keep 5-6 peppermint shrimp in my system but after having a problem with Aiptasia 5-6 years ago I am hyper vigilant now about them.

I do have a CB Aiptasia eating file fish but it is hard to loan a fish out since not everyone has the same idea about QT and I don't want to have to QT the fish for 12 weeks every time someone brings him back.

The boiling liquid through the syringe is by far the cheapest ($2) and most effective of any of the solutions I have tried though. A blow torch however was the most fun [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had always tried the Joes juice and lemon juice injections and it always seemed that for every one I eliminate, three more pop up! Ive tried peppermints and they are hit or miss. Now I have a filefish and haven't had another aptasia pop up in months!!! Very efficient but get one that seems to like brine or mysis otherwise they may look to lps for their next meal....just my 2 cents