2 tanks, 1 sump?

WingRider62

So, I've been thinking today (which usually gets me in trouble, and always cost me money). We just recently setup our 75G with a 30g sump and Deltec skimmer, the original idea was to get rid of both of the Biocubes, but the Misses wanted a Puffer...so we got a Stars and Stripes Puffer for one of the Biocubes. Part of the reasoning behind getting the larger tank was to have less tanks to take care of, ie water changes,testing etc. But now with the Puffer, we have just as much work if not more than before, which brings me to the point. Would it make since to setup another tank (not the biocube) next to the the 75G and drill it,so we could share the benifits of the larger water volume,skimmer,live rock and the Apex controller? Or would that create too much bio load? If it would work,then we would sell the Biocube,since I don't really want to drill modify it (I'm always concerned about resale value if I modify something). Anyways, thanks for your thoughts and advice.

• Like 1

Like you mentioned, I too like sharing systems from the maintenance perspective and the apex perspective.  Much easier to maintain.

Once concern worth noting.  Does the sump have enough capacity to handle both tanks in a power outtage with the drain down?

This is a big topic but myself I would go for 1 sump like you are thinking.  Good luck!

Two tanks to one sump is the same as one tank. I have three going to mine. water drains in and is pumped back out the number of tanks is irrelevant. But why are you putting a puffer in a bio cube I'm sure it's small(I hope) now but they grow fast and will max out at over a foot long.

We obviously didnt do enough research on the Puffer. But, now that we have him, we are going to do the best we can to make him a good home. That being said, we are looking for a cube tank similar to the biocube footprint without the built in sump. We are a little cramped for space, and will have to move the 75 over just a little bit as it is.