Black algae

Cor4eyh

I've had this before... super annoying!

What I did to get rid of it was create the greatest amount of flow possible, reduce the white spectrum of lighting a bit, dose GFO, add in sand sifting critters, keep feeding down enough to not create much excess nutrients . It'll die off in time.

How often do you change out your gfo and carbon? I recently went through a hair/bryopsis algae battle. It was rough on my lps but if you want to beat it you have to "attack" it fairly aggressive. Check your ro/di, change out your gac and gfo more often than normal, dim your white lights a bit, and manually remove as much as possible.

Be careful when treating for elevated PO4 (assuming that's the case) dropping it fast can wipe your tank.

Check PO4 see what the level is and be careful witht the GFO-to much to fast drops the PO4 to quick and depending on how big a drop-well I've known people who have killed their whole tank.

You say;

running GFO carbon and a phosphate reducer as well

You mean your running GFO as your phosphate reducer?

Plus one for Chemi-clean and reducing feeding- flow can help but based on how it's everywhere does not seem like its flow related-at least that is experiance, I get Cyno from over feeding and it collects in certain areas where flow is less, high flow areas it tends not to collect

Chemi clean is my friend :)