Think before you click!

Arsonmfg

So I originally posted this in another thread but I think it warrants it's own thread as well.

Here's where the post originated from...

http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/34938-finally-pulled-the-trigger-on-a-big-order-eek/

Very cool that you're upgrading to some high quality equipment, it's nice to have a bunch of brand new toys!

So I want to be clear that this is no way an attack on you, it just happens you posted a perfect example of something I've wanted to bring up for quite some time.

Everything you purchased except for the filters has what's called MAP pricing (minimum advertised price) any shop in town could of given you those exact same prices Upscales, Cuttlefish etc. and probably even covered the shipping.

The benefit of purchasing from a local store first and foremost you're supporting a local business and keeping your money local, we're all guilty of purchasing online and sometimes the deals are just too good to pass up. But the other perks of purchasing from a LFS is that you always have the support from the shop you purchased from, if there's an issue with the product and it needs to be sent in for repair, the shop takes care of it for you. A shop also has a lot more pull with the manufacturers and distributors. Have an issue after your warranty is up? Usually with most companies will work with an LFS a lot more than they will directly with the customer.

Anyways, my point is we all need to remember to support our LFS as much as possible, I've traveled all over the country and I usually stop into most any saltwater store I'd come across and most of us here have no idea how spoiled we are! We have some wonderful stores here in the northwest and without our support they may not be here forever. Jeff and Travis are definitely not getting rich owning a LFS, and summertime is always hard for everyone business wise.

SO next time you think about making any purchase, especially the big ones, think about your LFS, the guys who will always test your water for free, give you good advice on how to treat that sick fish, better your corals colors or always have that bottle in store of supplements or food you ran out of!

I couldn't imagine how much it would suck to have to purchase everything online, especially fish and corals, so next time you get ready to click an order online think about that shop that we all so easily forget about sometimes. I know it's easier to order online and ship to your house but most shops also will take a CC over the phone and the worst thing is you'll have to go pick things up from the store. Who knows you might just find your new favorite fish or coral while your there as well...

• Like 7

I'm guilty of ordering equipment on line. We are impatient people so it is easier to click , order and have it arrive on the door step.

For me livening  in St Helens on line is easier.

BFS is also a sponsor on this forum . For fish coral and dry goods we always go to LFS

• Like 2

I'm guilty of ordering equipment on line. We are impatient people so it is easier to click , order and have it arrive on the door step.

For me livening in St Helens on line is easier.

BFS is also a sponsor on this forum . For fish coral and dry goods we always go to LFS

It's funny I'm so impatient but I will drive around all day going to different stores trying to find something that I need.

I don't see it as shaming he did nothing wrong. He has no reason the feel bad or guilt. It just a reminder that lfs are here to serve use so the lest we cand do I buy throw them as much as possible.

By linking directly to someone's post about their purchase Arson is passing down his judgement that a particular person here made a bad choice. It's unnecessary, because he could make the same point without linking to someone specific. This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps stirring up drama on this forum. I would re-title this post, "think before you post."

• Like 2

I really don't think Arson meant to publicly shame Chrisq. I say this because he has sent me pms in the past to not "muck up my thread" I agree with you the link to Chrisq's thread should strongly be considered removed as it can be taken as public shaming which is not the goal of this place. I don't fault Chrisq at all for all the goodies he bought. I have been guilty of online buying too simply because I shop for lots of things online because I hate going to stores and shopping except for fish and coral and equipment. Arson's post is a good reminder. I personally need to get in the habit of doing this more because of all the points that are made. Also another point is it is nice to see equipment in person and have the ability to take it back if it doesn't work and not have to hassle with shipping it back.

This is all very entertaining and all but i think i should clear some things up real quick, Arson has good points and while i agree (Not so much with been put on the spot) but, he was not aware that i had spoke with one of our LFS's about my list and wanting to keep the "money" in town, but i was told 9/10 times it's just better to order some things online because of the MAP pricing and extremely low profit margins.

With my 2nd order (Apex and Dos) my plan was to contact Jeff tomorrow and talk with him about this, not sure if he stocks the gold system, but i'm sure he can get it  :D

I have no problem paying a markup on all my ATI T5's,trace elements, selcon, garlic and so on, been that way for my 2 1/2 years. This is my support and the best i can provide.

Furthermore there is something very very wrong if Neptune and Ecotech will give me any flack for having a problem under warranty and would rather deal with a company/distributor instead of their costumer. Just my opinion.

Arsonmfg meant well, and i know he did  :thumbs:

Edited by ChrisQ
  • Like 4

For me livening  in St Helens on line is easier.

I'm totally guilty myself too! In my opinion BRS is kind of a catch 22, like a lot of other businesses that make very little per item but sell mass quantities to keep themselves profitable. They're great for the customer but beat up the little guys, in this case the LFS.

I don't see it as shaming he did nothing wrong. He has no reason the feel bad or guilt. It just a reminder that lfs are here to serve use so the lest we cand do I buy throw them as much as possible.

Bingo!

By linking directly to someone's post about their purchase Arson is passing down his judgement that a particular person here made a bad choice. It's unnecessary, because he could make the same point without linking to someone specific. This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps stirring up drama on this forum. I would re-title this post, "think before you post."

You know what the problem is? People like yourself as well a few others are too [language filter] sensitive, put on your big boy OR girl pants, quit reading between the lines and looking for a reason to start a fight. Take the post for what it is, if you don't like it just don't even respond and it'll fall to the bottom and disappear for good and go away. I'm pretty sure Chris is a big enough boy and doesn't need some guardian to speak up for him when he's very well able to speak for himself.

There, now I made it personal... Quit your [language filter] crying!

I've been around this forum for a while now, something like 8-9 years now and there never used to be all this drama, people would speak their mind and have very open discussions that weren't necessarily pleasing to all but they were open and real conversations that weren't edited or overly moderated by using a "bad word" or wasn't PC enough and needed to be edited by a moderator. Hell we didn't even really have the need for more than one or two moderators.

Everybody on this site wants to walk on pins and needles trying not to offend someone or hurt their sensitive feelers now, I'm honestly about two clicks of being done with this forum. I'm sure I won't be missed by many. Moderators do as you please...

• Like 2

You know what the problem is? People like yourself as well a few others are too [language filter] sensitive, put on your big boy OR girl pants, quit reading between the lines and looking for a reason to start a fight. Take the post for what it is, if you don't like it just don't even respond and it'll fall to the bottom and disappear for good and go away. I'm pretty sure Chris is a big enough boy and doesn't need some guardian to speak up for him when he's very well able to speak for himself.

There, now I made it personal... Quit your [language filter] crying!

I've been around this forum for a while now, something like 8-9 years now and there never used to be all this drama, people would speak their mind and have very open discussions that weren't necessarily pleasing to all but they were open and real conversations that weren't edited or overly moderated by using a "bad word" or wasn't PC enough and needed to be edited by a moderator. Hell we didn't even really have the need for more than one or two moderators.

Everybody on this site wants to walk on pins and needles trying not to offend someone or hurt their sensitive feelers now, I'm honestly about two clicks of being done with this forum. I'm sure I won't be missed by many. Moderators do as you please...

LOL! You're kind of like a bull in a china shop in this discussion board. It bothers me sometimes, but if it doesn't bother others, well, then so be it. Kumbaya. :D

Edited by Lexinverts

LOL! You're kind of like a bull in a china shop in this discussion board. It bothers me sometimes, but if it doesn't bother others, well, then so be it. Kumbaya. :D

I just call it like I see it, those that know me personally know I'm usually a pretty nice guy and I'm always willing to help if someone needs it but I come with a no BS attitude towards life, my hobbies and my business as well.

I've never been good at sugar coating things for people, so what you see is what you get... 

Edited by Arsonmfg

Like ChrisQ said I've also been told more than once to shop online instead. Sorta leaves me scratching my head.. I still like to shop locally for livestock but sometimes that could be a challenge as well. For some, convenience is key in all this. Some people live such busy lifestyles that having things delivered to your door just seems like a good idea.

Like ChrisQ said I've also been told more than once to shop online instead. Sorta leaves me scratching my head.. I still like to shop locally for livestock but sometimes that could be a challenge as well. For some, convenience is key in all this. Some people live such busy lifestyles that having things delivered to your door just seems like a good idea.

I totally understand that and I've heard the same for some items, without disclosing what cost is on any specific item there are some items that a shop will actually lose money once they pay for freight to get an item here. So yes sometimes it's advisable to order online but not all the time.

Again, this was meant to be a generalized post... 

I'm all about things being convenient but what we perceive to be convent at the moment might not be whats best for us in the long run. I just want to remind people to think about what things would be like without our LFS. 

I hear you Chris, and I understand the message you're wanting to send to everyone. I enjoy going into a lfs and picking things out like a kid at a candy store. Running into familiar faces is another perk. I'd hate to see our local vendors not do well to the point of shutting down.

• Like 1

I just call it like I see it, those that know me personally know I'm usually a pretty nice guy and I'm always willing to help if someone needs it but I come with a no BS attitude towards life, my hobbies and my business as well.

I've never been good at sugar coating things for people, so what you see is what you get...

I feel ya brother I am a local business owner and the Internet can sometimes be a pain in the butt. I often pay a little extra for stuff just to support my small local shop.

This thread is a good example of why I don't spend much time here anymore. While I agree with Arson that people are way too sensitive and need to grow some skin, I also think that its really none of his business where people choose to buy their reef stuff, or anything else for that matter. Chris didn't ask for opinions on where to buy, he was obviously just excited about his new toys and wanted to share that excitement with the group. So we have the tang police telling us we are cruel to put a yellow tank in a 40 breeder, the PC police telling us that we should and shouldn't say about just about anything, and now we have the purchasing police telling us what horrible people we are for buying online. If someone asks for advice, by all means give the best you can, but it someone just wants to share their excitement about their stuff, let them. If you don't like where they bought it, too bad. Get over it and move on. 

• Like 1

I actually feel like this thread went well. I love the fact that everyone I this thread behaved like an adult and treated everyone with respect. People complain about "drama" and how his forum was better 5 years ago , 10 years ago, 2 years ago .... Etc but I have been here 6 years and there have always been heated discussions. I personally thinK discussions about politics are best taken offline or in face to face discussions and really don't belong in a fish forum.I like for people to be able to speak their mind and work things out and this is what happened in this case. I don't like it when threads have to get closed or deleted or censored. It makes people feel they are being treated like children. Discussions and arguments are going to happen. We are here because we are passionate about this hobby and that passion will often lead to heated debates. They are not a bad thing and Chrisq handled it perfectly. The important thing is to treat each other with respect. Saying hey moron you don't put a baby Achilles tang in a biocube has a much different tone then : " hey don't know if you realize those fish need a lot of space" rock on PNWMAS!????

Sidebar: Lion King is one of my favorite movies so love the video Chrisq! ????

I actually feel like this thread went well. I love the fact that everyone I this thread behaved like an adult and treated everyone with respect. People complain about "drama" and how his forum was better 5 years ago , 10 years ago, 2 years ago .... Etc but I have been here 6 years and there have always been heated discussions. I personally thinK discussions about politics are best taken offline or in face to face discussions and really don't belong in a fish forum.I like for people to be able to speak their mind and work things out and this is what happened in this case. I don't like it when threads have to get closed or deleted or censored. It makes people feel they are being treated like children. Discussions and arguments are going to happen. We are here because we are passionate about this hobby and that passion will often lead to heated debates. They are not a bad thing and Chrisq handled it perfectly. The important thing is to treat each other with respect. Saying hey moron you don't put a baby Achilles tang in a biocube has a much different tone then : " hey don't know if you realize those fish need a lot of space" rock on PNWMAS!

Sidebar: Lion King is one of my favorite movies so love the video Chrisq!

I must agree Chris handled it how it should be handled it was stated at the beginning that it was in no means a attack on him well handled.

I'm really surprised. I belong together other forums that this would have turned into a huge bash OP fest.

This is what I have been doing.

Research and ask questions.

Find what I think I want or want.

Then PM three of the local vendors for a quote.

This has worked very well for me. One vendor told me if I wanted a Aquamaxx I would have to order it online. I ended up buying what he could sell me at a very reasonable price. Way better then both BRS or Marine Depot MAP price.

So it is worth checking.

I do understand for some it's very inconvenient to drive to a LFS. For me it's at least a two hour trek to any of the supporting vendors.

• Like 1