New To Beaverton Local Help Needed

Hello all, my name is Nic and my wife and i moved here from Tampa Florida to start school here and just change the venue a little bit.  I own a 40gal breeder and am just now starting to get it set up.  Im setting up my RODI unit today and going to start filling up the tank.

I dried out all my live rock that i had but didn't realize that to cure it would take so long with the phosphates slowly leaking over time.  Ive gone to a few stores including World of Wet Pets,  their "LR" was just covered in brown algae and selection was little to none.  Then we went over to Cuttle Fish and Coral which was awesome but they had LR for 9$lb which i thought was ridiculous.

So my question is does anyone have some LR they're willing to sell?  Or have any ideas of what to do for my LR to cure it fast without having leaching problems?  Any suggestions would be nice!  Hope to meet some of y'all and looking forward to starting up my tank again!  

Thanks, Nic 

• Like 1

Ill check Upscales in Tualatin,  it just sucks not being able to use mine or deal with it leaching for 6 months.  I filled my tank about 35gal with salt and its currently mixing right now,  had an awesome 12 hour long line going from under the sink to the tank to fill it.  Waiting for it to mix all the way before i add sand and check the salinity.  

So far we're loving the PNW! ITs very different from florida but I've always been a fan of cold grey rainy days so its fitting.  I also plan on posting in the classifieds for used LR to try and get it cheaper or one piece of LR then just getting base rock for it to spread to.  Ill be starting a new thread to track how things are going and post pics as it comes along!  Thanks for any advice and help with LFS and when i ask about my parameters.  This will be the 3rd tank im setting up 2nd 40gal (after relocating)  Also im just doing a HOB filter to go as filterless as possible.  Ill post soon!  

You can "cook" your current dried live rocks but will take time. This is what I did with dry live rock I bought online:

1. Hose rocks clean as much as possible.

2. Soak rocks in plastic container or clean trash bin with fresh water and a some plain bleach for 3-4 days. Bleach will help breakdown organic and speed up the process.

3. Empty the bleach water, replace with hot water. Water from your hot tap will do. This will evaporate and remove bleach as the water cool.

4. Leave it in freshwater for 2 weeks. If water turn color (yellowish or brown), replace with clean freshwater. You can add small power head if you like.

5. Once water stays clean after last water change then your rocks are ready to be placed in tank.

This process may take 4-6 weeks. In the meantime waiting for rocks to "cook", you can start cycling your tank with sand. If you're going bare bottom, add some bioballs in sump for cycling. Once you place your rocks in tank that's cycled, you can remove the bioballs after 2 weeks.

I decided to throw my rock in a bucket with water and PH. And I'll check the phosphates after a week of it cycling and see where I'm at. I didn't dose anything, I got this idea from Upscales so we'll see what happens, also checking my salinity in my display with it clearing up nicely. Hopefully I'll be adding sand today.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

When curing live rock either new dry rock or previously live but dried out rock I have always placed it in a large container with salt water and a power head and placed a large amount of GFO or other phosphate sponge to absorb the leaching Phosphates. as far as making the rock live again a scoop of sand from a well established system are a great way to add some bio diversity to the rock while it is curing. If you are looking to speed things up you can also add nitrifying bacteria to the rock while it is curing. However there is no fast way to get rid of the phosphates that just takes time. Which is OK because often bad things happen to reefs when we try and rush things. Slow and steady is the best way for long term success.