Salt mix?

I did a search but nothing came up for me? Well anything after 2007 anyway. Also I don't want to start any what salt mix is better wars.

What do you use and why?

Where do you find it for a fare price?

I think I would prefer it in a bucket for storage purposes unless by the box would be a better deal.

Back in the day I use to just buy my water already premixed with Crystal Sea from woody. I don't believe I ever had an issue with it either. But now that I'm starting over and the prices of RO/DI units have come down in price, I decided to purchase one of my own. I do plan on getting coral at some point so the salt would need to be appropriate for them.

Back from the dead Dave.

• Like 1

I used to use instant ocean but I have been using Kent for some time now as I simply reconstitute any lacking parameters in the salt with an appropriate chemical such as Calcium Chloride or Bicarbonate ect. The price is right just talk to a couple of our local stores.

One time I bought 3 cases because the cost was so low and I figured salt doesn't go bad so long as it remains free of moisture. Get one of those threaded screw on bucket tops from home depot that has the gasket, those keep my salts nice and dry.

On another note a tank I take care of uses only Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and it does rather well provided it gets bi weekly water changes. I must also state that this method has been employed due to the unwillingness of the person wanting to dose the tank, but hey it has been working for a while now.

I'm personally thinking about switching from Kent in which I have always used as of recent I have been getting a few bad mixes, I really hate filling a bucket of RO/DI then mixing just to find Alk or Cal way to low to add and in a Nano it makes a huge impact to parameters. Unfortunately everyone around is adamant about Kent but going to see If I can source Reef Crystals to give it a try.

Guest Bevo5

Amazon Prime makes it pretty easy to buy whatever salt you want at a reasonable cost. I've been using IO reef crystals for a while now....it was like $56 shipped. I might switch to kent when I get going on a bigger tank...save a few bucks.

I've read tons of threads on this subject and the general takeaway is that there are people who swear by each and every brand, and people who have had bad experiences with each and every brand. I wish there was a clear cut answer so that I knew I was making the right choice, but I don't think there is.

I use Kent like many around here.  It came highly recommended by this forum.  I have been using it now for four years and had no issues and when I have tested it (I should do this more) it seems fairly consistent

Plus the price is GREAT.  Like Kim said Cuttlefish and Coral sells a box of 4 50 gallon mixes for less then $40.  Or you can get it online for $50 shipped..

I prefer Red Sea Coral Pro. It is more expensive, but it is a "natural salt", so it contains some things other salts do not. I find that it mixes very quickly and is consistent. I notice a better growth in my cultures with it. I rarely if ever do water changes these days (I'm more of a dosing guy), so for the little amount I use the extra expense is worth it.

My second option is Reef Crystals. It's a good salt, and if you buy what you need for the year during the Petsmart sale it the same price as Kent, but a better quality IMO. Only thing that sucks is the nutrient residue it leaves on your mixing container.

I have tried Kent because it is cheap at both Upscales and Cuttlefish, but IME I have had 2 bad experiences where the alkalinity mixed up to less then 7, even when making 50g batches. I have never had that issue with Red Sea Coral Pro, but I have heard of others having that issue with Reef Crystals. I actually have 2 boxes of the Kent left in my garage.

IMO all synthetic salts will do kind of the same thing for you. Just test before you do your water change and adjust as needed.

JME

Dave, glad you are back, good to see you again!

Unfortunately for me It's been so long since I did an actual water change I cant 100% say the type of salt I'm using. Pretty sure I started with Kent. Now I consider it mandingas salt mix.

I get a lot of I am afraid I just stepped in something and need to clean my shoes. Pardon my anger, but this smell gives me a headache and have herd a lot of negative but i use Instant Ocean salt mix, when i first started it was cheaper and i have used it for 6 years and never had any issues with it.

Ha ha! I see you got censored. You can't say [you can't say that either, please try to be respectful of the rules] on here. Bottom line of it works for you and you are doing well with it no need to change.

I got it from OIB $85 for a 200 gallon bag. He had Kent for a lot cheaper but recommended Red Sea if I was going to keep coral down the road. I suppose I could've started off with Kent and switched later but figured I better just stick with one from the start.

I can't provide any specs. But it did mix clean and not much residue on the bottom of the container.

And it's clear. When I was getting water from Woody the mix water seem to always have a yellow tint to it.

I got it from OIB $85 for a 200 gallon bag. He had Kent for a lot cheaper but recommended Red Sea if I was going to keep coral down the road. I suppose I could've started off with Kent and switched later but figured I better just stick with one from the start.

I can't provide any specs. But it did mix clean and not much residue on the bottom of the container.

And it's clear. When I was getting water from Woody the mix water seem to always have a yellow tint to it.

Yeah it's better to keep the same salt in my opinion. I am going to stay with Kent for now though as Zoas and softies tolerate a low alk but may consider it in the future if I venture to sps. Brightwells is supposed to be a good brand too.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Sea Coral Pro for me. From what I was told it is the only 100% pulled from the ocean salt? That's kind of why I went with it. I was also thinking that since I have 65-70 gallons total water that if I do a 10% once every two weeks I wont need to add as much other products. That's my pipe dream anyways. Ultimate goal is finding my tanks sweet spot without changes but then dosing will become mandatory I am guessing. Oh a bucket from Travis was $79

When reefnjunkie and other SPS gurus told me they were running Kent during the last poll (site crash, no google cache left), I kind of went with that and haven't looked back.  The stories for the other salt mixes are compelling though, but so is Brad's tank!

When reefnjunkie and other SPS gurus told me they were running Kent during the last poll (site crash, no google cache left), I kind of went with that and haven't looked back.  The stories for the other salt mixes are compelling though, but so is Brad's tank!

I in no way would argue with any ones success. I will say some of these guys are so fishy they could have eye popping tanks using mortons table salt.

I in no way would argue with any ones success. I will say some of these guys are so fishy they could have eye popping tanks using mortons table salt.

Ya, that's a good point.  They have such coral swagger, morton salt works in their tank.  Quote of the month, love it!

I'm am definitely intrigued by the Red Sea Coral Pro. Kent has been used by most reefers around here just because it is readily available and cheap but when you start getting into sps you end up having to dose calcium, alk and magnesium.

As I am planning on doing a water changes only right now and don't want to dose I may consider switching. I have also heard good things about Reef Crystals but again not readily available at most stores and the name sounds like a sexually transmitted infection... :)

I had a huge disaster last night and was forced to mix up a 25 gallon batch to dilute laundry detergent! Basically had to mix and poor strait into the tank with coral pro. Not to mention using my tap water that is well water. (TDS reading of 58 right out of the well head)

Went to bed thinking everything would be dead by morning. To my surprise everything is still alive.