Glass Sump question

fishboys

I have a 40 glass breeder for my sump. Saturday I went to TAP and had 4 pieces cut for the sump.

Today I start looking into the dimensions for setting up my acrylic baffles. I then stumble into a part of the article that says do not attach acrylic to glass for the baffles in your sump?

I guess I just don't want to continue if I am going to just need to cut the baffles out latter.

So what do you all think? Thank you in advance for your help. Troy

I've done it too, and it works just fine as long as you glue/seal the baffles in place well. The key is that they need to hold water, so a tight seal is required. That's likely why they advise against it, because it's not a solvent weld like acrylic to acrylic.

I've had problems with this sort of thing once. I attached acrylic baffles to my acrylic sump with silicon because I wanted the ability to change their placement without sawing through the acrylic, & I wasn't concerned with them being perfectly water-tight anyway.

Silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic like it does to glass. It can form a good gasket for acrylic sometimes, but I wouldn't depend on it's stickiness to have much force after 6 months or so, or for any bond to form.  

My panels failed. At some point I'll get around to draining the sump & properly welding the panels on. Maybe yours will work better because 1/2 of the bond is to glass, but I would imagine it's not your most long lasting option.