Odd Clownfish Disease

akambience

Hello everyone. I'm hoping to get some advice on my clown. Shes a 3 year old Amphiprion ocellaris. She is going downhill faster each day. It started out as 2 small white spots a couple of weeks ago--one on the nostril and one behind the right fin. I've had the clown and its partner for several years and there have been no new additions to the tank in over a year, which rules out ick. I researched white spots and discounted brooklynella since my clown doesn't have the white powder-like appearance. I assumed it must be Lymphocystis even though the two spots don't look fluffy or cotton-y like in pictures of Lymphocystis, and I understand that nothing can really be done except to let it take it's course. 

In the last week I have done a couple of preemptive water changes, (60% total) but she seems to be rapidly getting worse. There aren't any new spots, but the spot on the nose has spread inside of the nasal cavity, and in the last few days it has taken over the inside of the left side of her face, pushing the cheek out and popping out the eye. Today it looks like it has come through the cheek and is now an open wound. But the mass of the growth is under the skin, and it appears to be hard, not fluffy or cotton-like. Shes still eating and swimming normally, although spending most of her time hiding in the LR. 

Tank is a 30G cube, the other fish are unaffected. (2 chromis, 1 bengi cardinal, peppermint shrimp, and the male clownfish)
Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any advice?

Tank chemistry is within normal limits. 

Thanks in advance!

Shared_Image_20150308_042419_zpsy9ydrmzz

Shared_Image_20150308_042436_zpsdipfqn59

20150308_040815_zpsizllw2o4.jpg

20150307_182327_zpspxbzsrvd.jpg

My first thought was Brooklynella, which may be treated with formalin dips. It also looks like it had progressed into secondary bacterial infection and Exophthalmus (aka Popeye). Possible treatments are formalin dips. Always use aeration as Formaldehyde lowers oxygen content of water very quickly. There is a good deal of information online on administering these treatments.Even if it is not Brookynella, the Formalin treatment still applies to Popeye.

Edited by JManrow

We thought it might have been Brooklynella but without any additions to the tank it seemed unlikely after more than a year from adding anything to the tank. Symptoms have also been present for over a week. Brooklynella comes up a lot as a quick killer.

Can parasites be dormant for that long? That’s why I ruled out parasites in the beginning. 

Has anything new been added to the tank that was wet? Corals, snaiks rock? Anything that is wet and came from sn infected system could carry a parasite in.

Only additions from to the CUC, every four months or so. I hadn't thought about that. 

I did a freshwater bath for a little over 5 minutes last week. Her eyes clouded up after the bath, but returned to a clear state by the next day. I think there is significant improvement, less swelling around the pop-eye and less inflammation around the left face. The white spots are still there, however, but she’s still swimming and eating just as before. I'll keep you updated. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

I did a 7 minute freshwater dip without any meds with the little girl. There was a day of cloudy eyes, but they came back the next day. She has 90% recovered, the Exophthalmus went away and the inflammation was all but almost gove within a few days thereafter. There are still a  few white spots on her pectoral fin, and there is some scarring on her face, but I'm ready to call this an unexpected recovery. 

Power to the freshwater dip.