Color Morphing BTA's

Bombertech

In the center of the picture below, sandwhiched between a Rainbow Inferno and a pink is a BTA that picked up pink, orange, and red pigments (vertical striping) from the others around it.  Started off with a yellow/gold color a couple months back.  Sunburst to the left is so bright the color looks white, haha!

While keeping the different colors together is fun, I've found you need to be careful when introducing a nem with a color pattern you'd like to retain.  If the nem is faded, they sometimes receive pigments from others...  Not sure why/how...  I suspect it has something to do with the excess pigments floating in the water as the nems deflate.  I've seen them leave a trail of color when moving around.

20150116_162200_1_1_zpsdcbplgmf.jpg

• Like 1

Cool nems. I should have done more research I guess as my nems are getting ugly brown/dull colors now. Now...the question is, how can I improve the colors? Rudy mentioned shrimp dipped in cyclopeeze powder, but I looked online and it's sold out everywhere. No word on if and when the company will produce again.

To color BTAs:

Food, mega crazy PAR 600-1K, I'm sitting at about 700-800 on mine.

For food I feed tiny pellets soaked for 20 mins (fish, krill, shrimp all work great. Cyclopeez dipped shrimp would be fun to try)  You want something that the nems can digest.  the more the surface area the better.

Light, I run a ratio of "4 pure actinic, 4 Blue Special, and 1 warm white" 6 hours a day, drop to 2 actinic/2 blue special for 2 hour in the AM and PM.

To Bubble BTAs up:

High lighting does it every time, they will want to shade the oral disk.  All of my BTA's bubble up, even the ones that had spindly tentacles for as long as I can remember.  Usually takes a month or so.

If it is a mature nem (8"+), high lighting will usually force them to split so you'll want to increase lighting slowly.  If you are feeding them regularly, they will be less inclined to wander around during light increases.

• Like 2