Matty's 29g Biocube!

matty

After a short break I am taking the plunge again with a 29g Biocube thanks to a great deal from Micah, thanks man! The rest of the equipment for the tank will be here on Friday but for now here is how it sits:

image_zps8242c0be.jpg

image_zps9257a041.jpg

Tank is lit with a Gen2 Radion and I will be adding a Rw-4 for flow. Once the other equipment gets here I will start filling it up, hopefully this weekend. 

I want to focus on one species in regards to fish and coral. I am thinking various Euphyllia and a pair of less common clowns, maybe saddlebacks, clarki's, or even pink skunks. 

Looking for suggestions on less known or less common fish.

More to come.

Edited by matty

Got some swag today and got it all connected, new tanks and new equipment are always cool!

image_zps0fd45093.jpg

This Rw-4 is tiny! Hope the flow is good.
image_zps674085ab.jpg

Im going to start making water tonight and get the sand and rock scape in tonight or tomorrow. I'm getting anxious to start this tank!

Edited by matty
  • Like 1

Thank you! Not sure on livestock but know that I want different Euphyllia to be the dominant coral for lots of movement. I would really like to have a golden dwarf moray but my wife kinda wants active fish and I tend to agree. Maybe even a bunch of damsels, I wonder how many I could put in a tank this size?

Right now I'm running radiant color I think it's called but I will play with it more once it's cycled, I shut it off for now.

I'm actually thinking I'm going to try a Dwarf Golden Moray if I can get one. I have always wanted one and with this tank having the glass top it should be easier to keep it in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a little thought and a lucky sale, I decided to change the light on the tank to a Kessil 150. I really wanted a controller also so I was able to sell the Radion and get the Kessil and an Apex, and keep my budget intact! Tank is cycling away and in that ugly stage, good times!

image_zpstgwp023e.jpg

image_zpspq490g5t.jpg

image_zpseheaqwgc.jpg

Now to get the Apex set up and continue waiting patiently!

Edited by matty

Old school LOL. You mean you mixed the water in 5 minutes and then tossed in the livestock?

Temperature is easy. Bacteria reproduce faster at higher temperatures. So if you raise it up to 84 or something the bacteria will increase their growth rate exponentially. 

The sponge is pretty much just a sponge I keep in my sump, so when you want to setup a new tank, or a qt tank, or hospital tank depending on the med, you have an active biofilter that can be transferred over. It's pretty low tech. I actually keep one zip lined to my return pump also to minimize noise. 

You can watch the rocks if you prefer. Just make sure not to get your ammonia level above 1ppm, or you'll be cycling that thing forever.