FishBit aquarium controller

vanz

Ran across this from reefbuilder. A new startup is coming out with a new aquarium controller and they are trying to get 30 beta units out. You will get a production version as well when it's released. FishBit BETA is a monitor that measures pH, salinity and temperature, a controller for your other aquarium equipment like lighting and pumps, and an app accessible on your smartphone or web browser. 

The design is pretty slick. What do you guys think? ​Will this thing be a success? There's 25 more beta units available. The first 5 at $299 are taken, the beta units are $349. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1758456789/fishbit-your-aquarium-made-simple-beta-release/description

• Like 1

If probes are included for that price it's a really good deal. Only reason I never added salinity probe is they are over $100 each...lame!

I do like supporting groups like this as they will push improvements faster than some of the larger companies coasting along on the initial offering.

• Like 1

Thumbs up, I like the concept, love the startup, definitely considered this myself.  

Competition is good for all of us.  

On that point, IOT is bringing allot of competition indirectly.  Some day perhaps we will be running our aquariums with standard off the shelf hardware and a controller such as the google/nest/revolv platform.  If you haven't googled IOT, it is shocking how APEX controller like it is.  The difference is, it is for the masses, not just aquariums.  The future is bright for reef automation.  Kudos to reef controllers for bringing the concept to market, in fact APEX would make a great IOT controller.

Ran across this today, 8 outlets, 89 bucks and web accessible.  

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXT8IN2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=29ODKZKFS7APL&coliid=I2WUSQML7TKTSB

Pair that with a good controller that knows how to talk to web devices, you have the beginning of a reef automation Internet of Things.

I just backed my first startup. I think it's going to be cool testing out this monitor. I just want something simple and with my rkl dying (backlight is flickering) this should be a good replacement that's if this company is successful. 

I took the second last spot, there's 1 more left guys!

Dang, that went faster than I thought it would! Did you ever figure out if probes are included?

I'm running RKL and waiting for Archon to release :-/

That oval black thing contains the temp, salinity, and pH probe I believe. I read somewhere that it would read ammonia and maybe some other stuff too. Not really sure on that. Also comes with an 8 plug power brick. 

There's another company that is suppose to release their controller soon. Reefai I believe. The product image looked very rough and complicated, but maybe that's their intended look? Pricing looks very reasonable for what you get. 

lol, I forgot about the Archon. Ah oh well.. 

• 1 month later...

So I am asked what would I like to see fishbit be capable of. I thought it was a good idea to ask other reefers what they would like in an aquarium controller, be it phone app suggestions or hardware. What would you guys like to see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool!  You are in the beta?

Beyond what the apex does already

• Power draw sensing for each outlet
  • Ability to program against the power draw (if temp < 78 and heater amps == 0 do something)
  • GFCI on each outlet (one trip does not take entire system down)
  • Ability to be notified if GFCI trips
  • Flow sensor

I dunno, those might be a good start to spark conversation

Cool! You are in the beta?

Beyond what the apex does already

• Power draw sensing for each outlet
  • Ability to program against the power draw (if temp < 78 and heater amps == 0 do something)
  • GFCI on each outlet (one trip does not take entire system down)
  • Ability to be notified if GFCI trips
  • Flow sensor
I dunno, those might be a good start to spark conversation
Yup beta tester here. Will get my unit in June. Those are excellent suggestions! Gfci on each outlet. Me likey.

So I don't have an apex and not familiar with all the bells and whistles, what does the puratek controller that you posted has that apex doesn't? Is that on the list that you posted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by vanz

Hey Vanz,

Puratek has some of these features, the GFCI is unique I believe to all of them.

One other thing I would like to see, ALLOT of inputs.  They are cheap, a 10 dollar arduino board has 16 inputs for example. I like allot of leak sensors, dual and triple float switches, float switches in the overflow (detect clogged overflows), etc.  By having so few on APEX it is limiting and I have to spend allot more than 10 bucks to get more inputs.

Flow sensor would be nice (return pump says it is on, but flow is 0, sensor or return pump is bad go investigate).

More and more controllers are showing up with some form of par meters, that is a huge plus even if not 100% practical.

There are a ton of musts, like PWM output to control LEDs and powerheads, basic timer functionality, moon phase tracking, temperature table tracking.  Man the list goes on and on.

===============================================================

Here are some more niche case ones, that are still interesting if only to me.

Integration with home automation outlets like Z-wave etc.  These outlets are already controllable and have been on the market for years.  

Third party integration.  If I have an network enabled power strip, it would be awesome to be able to integrate with it.

Wireless power strip integration.  10 dollars for three outlets of control.  I use one on the frag tank to control the powerheads with a FOB.  

Allot of these features are heavy overlap with home automation.  Reef controllers and home automation do overlap quite a bit.  The IOT initiatives will some day be able to do what reef controllers do and vice versa.  Playing into an IOT framework is also appealing.  Something like Contiki or Spark, etc...

Well I said it was niche right?

Hope that helps keep the conversation going.  Cannot wait to hear your opinion when you get one of these.

Hey Vanz,

Puratek has some of these features, the GFCI is unique I believe to all of them.

One other thing I would like to see, ALLOT of inputs.  They are cheap, a 10 dollar arduino board has 16 inputs for example. I like allot of leak sensors, dual and triple float switches, float switches in the overflow (detect clogged overflows), etc.  By having so few on APEX it is limiting and I have to spend allot more than 10 bucks to get more inputs.

Flow sensor would be nice (return pump says it is on, but flow is 0, sensor or return pump is bad go investigate).

More and more controllers are showing up with some form of par meters, that is a huge plus even if not 100% practical.

There are a ton of musts, like PWM output to control LEDs and powerheads, basic timer functionality, moon phase tracking, temperature table tracking.  Man the list goes on and on.

===============================================================

Here are some more niche case ones, that are still interesting if only to me.

Integration with home automation outlets like Z-wave etc.  These outlets are already controllable and have been on the market for years.  

Third party integration.  If I have an network enabled power strip, it would be awesome to be able to integrate with it.

Wireless power strip integration.  10 dollars for three outlets of control.  I use one on the frag tank to control the powerheads with a FOB.  

Allot of these features are heavy overlap with home automation.  Reef controllers and home automation do overlap quite a bit.  The IOT initiatives will some day be able to do what reef controllers do and vice versa.  Playing into an IOT framework is also appealing.  Something like Contiki or Spark, etc...

Well I said it was niche right?

Hope that helps keep the conversation going.  Cannot wait to hear your opinion when you get one of these.

Wow, you should have been one to beta test this. I will be sure to pass your list along. It will be great if they can provide a lot of functions at an affordable price.

• 1 year later...

Im really bad with updates aren't I? Well I did receive the beta units to test out. The controller was received in October and the monitor in December. I've been distracted with home stuff that my tank was neglected for a while again. So neglected that I didn't bother testing out the monitor until today. I don't know why I put it off so long as it was really simple to set up. It's working like advertised with the app. They are still working out some scripting but for the most part it works.

Anyway, it looks like fishbit is ready to mass produce these things and have released another Kickstarter for preorders. The production units will be slightly different in that the monitor is now wired rather than wireless to be more stable.

Take a look at their video and Kickstarter page.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1758456789/fishbit-your-aquarium-made-simple/widget/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1758456789/fishbit-your-aquarium-made-simple?ref=discovery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im really bad with updates aren't I? Well I did receive the beta units to test out. The controller was received in October and the monitor in December. I've been distracted with home stuff that my tank was neglected for a while again. So neglected that I didn't bother testing out the monitor until today. I don't know why I put it off so long as it was really simple to set up. It's working like advertised with the app. They are still working out some scripting but for the most part it works.

Anyway, it looks like fishbit is ready to mass produce these things and have released another Kickstarter for preorders. The production units will be slightly different in that the monitor is now wired rather than wireless to be more stable.

Take a look at their video and Kickstarter page.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1758456789/fishbit-your-aquarium-made-simple/widget/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1758456789/fishbit-your-aquarium-made-simple?ref=discovery

He LIVES! How ya been Homie?

He LIVES! How ya been Homie?

Hey Kevin! Still here but not as active, it's a cycle lol. My tank husbandry sucks but what's new. I haven't added anything new to the tank since last summer...things leave though. Im just trying to get whatever's left to thrive lol. I thought keeping softies only would be easy like a set it and forget it thing, not in my case.

How have you been?

Hey Kevin! Still here but not as active, it's a cycle lol. My tank husbandry sucks but what's new. I haven't added anything new to the tank since last summer...things leave though. Im just trying to get whatever's left to thrive lol. I thought keeping softies only would be easy like a set it and forget it thing, not in my case.

How have you been?

Doing great. Wife is happy, dog are happy, fish tank is on auto pilot (sorry to rub it in). I opened a studio in downtown PDX. Everything is moving along wonderfully. We should all get together sometime. See how those kids of yours are growin