Dirty socks

Jorge

Been washing my filter socks in the washer machine with bleach. First wash is on soak, then I do a second wash just water. I let air dry and then reuse. I've been doing it this way for a while now. My only concern is when dry they still have that bleach smell to them. Should I be doing something different? How are you guys/gals cleaning you filter socks? Thanks

Thanks guys. Seems like bleach is the only way to truly get them clean. I glad there isn't some new found research that shows "bleaching" socks is terrible. Just seeing what everyone is doing nowadays. I feel like I'm always behind the curve lol

You can rinse any aquarium equipment that has been bleach-cleaned with a vinegar/water solution. I always rinse with tap water first, then add the 1/4 cup white (or apple cider) vinegar to a bucket of tap water and it will neutralize any residue of bleach. Rinse off the solution with tap water and it will be ready to use!

Good to hear Kim. I'll keep using bleach but maybe a little less. Maybe I'll try just vinegar also and see how clean they get. I'm just looking for ways to improve the overall health of my tank. Now I'm changing out socks twice a week as opposed to just once like I was doing before.

You can rinse any aquarium equipment that has been bleach-cleaned with a vinegar/water solution. I always rinse with tap water first, then add the 1/4 cup white (or apple cider) vinegar to a bucket of tap water and it will neutralize any residue of bleach. Rinse off the solution with tap water and it will be ready to use!

Are you not worried about the chlorine tap water will leave behind?

Probably not enough to worry about, I put 1 capful of bleach into a 7 gal bucket of tap water. Throw a few socks in there over weeks then rinse them inside/outside with the hose. After I get all 10 or so hanging I run them thru the washer twice, no soap. clean as a whistle no smell nice and white, just once a month or two chore.

• Like 2

I might be missing something, why do you guys want to bleach them at all? I rinse em out with the hose, let um dry, and then use them. I have never put them in my washer or anything like that. I just turn them inside out and spray them with the hose, keep them outside until they dry. Doesn't even take a minute to spray them. 

Is there a benefit to bleaching them that I don't know about?

Not at all. When I use filter socks I use more then one in my rotation. So when by the time I switch them out the chlorine has completely evaporated. 

I used to not wash with bleach in the washer and noticed they would overflow from being clogged within a week. I think the bleach/vinegar breaks down the waste collected in the fibers. Less crap in the fibers maybe leads to lower nitrates. Now I change twice a week so perhaps it wouldn't make a difference.

• Like 1

I might be missing something, why do you guys want to bleach them at all? I rinse em out with the hose, let um dry, and then use them. I have never put them in my washer or anything like that. I just turn them inside out and spray them with the hose, keep them outside until they dry. Doesn't even take a minute to spray them. 

Is there a benefit to bleaching them that I don't know about?

Sodium hypochlorite(bleach) has been successfully used in laboratories and aquaculture as a disinfectant and for oxidation of organic matter for some time now. If you want aquariums and equipment sterile because of fungal or bacterial infections, or parastic infestations, this is the way to go. Make sure you do not soak too long, like overnight... the bleach can break down the fabric fibers if soaked for very long periods. A 10 minute soak or wash cycle(bleach only, no soap) is enough, then rinse. Air-drying is fine if you have the time. Again, if you are concerned about chlorine residue, a quick soak in a weak acid base(water/vinegar solution) or water with a good shot of sodium thiosulfate(De-Chlor) will neutralize any trace of chlorine.

Edited by JManrow