New skimmer!

siskiou

It arrived today, and it's a monster (at least compared to my previous one)!(clap)

It's an OctoX 200, and even with the silencer on the airline, it makes quite a bit of noise. The pump isn't exactly silent, either, but I'm hoping it will get better with time.

Pic is of it running in a tub with vinegar water.

Any suggestions how long before I can break it in with waterchange water?

I'm eager to get it running on my tank, but don't want to jump the gun.

P1030765.jpg

i have never heard of this vinegar bath and breaking in with water change water. i have always just put them on the system and let them go. of course they need daily adjusting for a couple weeks, but after that they have been good to go. i dont really think there are any ill side-effects of putting it on now, matter of fact the waste may be doing more damage to the tank and your nitrate levels. please explain.

It's all the rage on RC, so I'm just being a sheep and following the trend there. :D

The vinegar is supposed to take any oils and other undesirable coatings from the manufacturing process off (mainly from the pump). I'm going to let it run in the vinegar water over night, and then I'll see. Friday is really the earliest I'll have time to set it up anyhow, but I may skip the breaking in with waterchange water.

Vinegar/water mix will strip excess production/lubricant oils from all parts inside a new skimmer/pump. These oils will collapse any foam for the first few days on a new skimmer if you don't get it clean first. Plus, breaking it in, in a container is a great way to get familiar with a new skimmer that you aren't familiar with.

So far, I'm just running it with the stock pinwheel.

Once I've figured out how to set up the meshwheel, and have managed to open up the pump and exchange the impeller, I'll try out how it runs with the mesh mod.

Is there a trick to open up a sicce pump? It sure isn't easy, and I didn't want to break the cover by using too much force.

Nice skimmer, I will post pics of mine tonight. Also since we have almost the exact same skimmer I will tell you what I was told, the pin wheel that came with the unit will pull more air and more importantly make your pump last longer.

I forget the guys name but will dig it out of a e-mail with the contact info for you to have on hand. He has tried everything with these pumps and told me the pinwheel is the best option. This is just one persons opinion so your milage might vary. I will pm you contact info later today.

Again nice skimmer.

So far, I'm just running it with the stock pinwheel.

Once I've figured out how to set up the meshwheel, and have managed to open up the pump and exchange the impeller, I'll try out how it runs with the mesh mod.

Is there a trick to open up a sicce pump? It sure isn't easy, and I didn't want to break the cover by using too much force.

Stick with the pinwheel.

To get the volute cover off, use the hand grip end of a pair of pliers with the soft rubber grips. You kind of have to push down while turning counter clockwise.

ive been using the SWC 200 for about a month now, an exact replica of your skimmer if im not mistaken....and i find it to be extremely sensitive. it will produce nice thick foam for about three days, but every fourth day it overflows the skimmer cup suddenly and apparently without reason. my water level stays the same day after day.

This is just one persons opinion so your milage might vary. I will pm you contact info later today.

Again nice skimmer.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing pics of your new skimmer!

Stick with the pinwheel.

To get the volute cover off, use the hand grip end of a pair of pliers with the soft rubber grips. You kind of have to push down while turning counter clockwise.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. For now I will stick with the pinwheel, since I've heard from several people now that the pump will wear out sooner with the mesh mod (and I can't afford a new pump any time soon!)

but every fourth day it overflows the skimmer cup suddenly and apparently without reason.

Hm, I hope mine behaves itself! You don't dose anything on those days, or feed something special?

It is. The skimmer was really loud in the bathtub for some reason, but is much quieter under the tank, thankfully.

I finished setting it up in the sump a half hour ago, and the fluff is no longer in the silencer. It didn't seem to slow down the bubbles any, though.