Football thoughts

Michael7979

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tell me they got to you too!!!

All the SEC does is schedule cupcake OOC games, and since all the teams typically have inflated rankings due to voters that have the wool pulled over their eyes, when LSU beats Auburn all the sudden they are a NC contender. Then Florida beats LSU and they are the contender. Then Auburn beats Florida and now what?? Florida is still the contender?

Isn't that exactly what happened in the Pac10? The Big 10? Heck it even happened in the WAC and they have the only team in the country left undefeated!!!!

Arkansas won the SEC west, and USC demolished them to put it nicely.

The SEC has 3 good teams this year out of 12. Not a sign of a strong conference. But lets take it a step further. They put 9 teams in bowl games, lost 3 to very mediocre teams, and barely squeaked by 8-5 Clemson and 9-5 Nebraska (another team USC demolished).

They did win the NC so i'll give them that. But Auburn, Arkansas, Tenn are all over rated. LSU had a good year, but had zero competition in their bowl game thanks to VD having the only BCS contract in the country.

Any team cept for stanford! hahaha....they cant beat anyone. but the sec was pretty much just 3 or 4 teams this year. the others werent that hot but any given saturday upsets DO happen. Look at arizona beating a few people this year. and i still wouldnt call them a GOOD team. or UCLA beating USC....who saw that coming? but congrats to Florida. they had a better gameplan and executed almost flawlessly which is the biggest difference between winning and losing in Div. 1 college football anyhow. everyones got athletes its who makes the best preparations and who comes up with the fewest mistakes.

But I wouldnt say that ohio state is overrated...they would probably whoop anyone in the pac-10 this year including USC. but the rest of the big 10 was a lil soft this year. Wisconsin had a solid run but they didnt really play any tough nonconference games.

I wouldnt say the SEC plays weak OOC games since they do schedule games against the pac 10 but every conference has its patsy games agains div II teams looking for a payday. look at the big east and miami playing the likes of florida international or whatever.

Top to bottom the SEC is comparible to Pac10 or Big10 IMO.

EAST CONF OVERALL

Florida 7-1 13-1

Tennessee 5-3 9-4

Georgia 4-4 9-4

Kentucky 4-4 8-5

South Carolina 3-5 8-5

Vanderbilt 1-7 4-8

WEST CONF OVERALL

Arkansas 7-1 10-4

Auburn 6-2 11-2

LSU 6-2 11-2

Alabama 2-6 6-7

Mississippi 2-6 4-8

Mississippi State 1-7 3-9

But lets see who they played OOC. Let me just cover the SEC teams that were ranked since thats all that matters.

Florida - beat S Miss, C Florida, W Carolina, FSU. Tough. 0 quality wins

Tenn - Cal (good win), Air Force, Marshall, Memphis. I give them 1 quality win.

Georgia - W Kentucky, UAB, Colorado, G Tech. Had to squeek by CU and G Tech. 1 quality win

Arkansas - USC(got blown out), Utah St, SE Montana St, LA Monroe. 0 quality wins

Auburn - Wash St(good win), Buffalo, Tulane, Arkansas St. 1 quality win

LSU - LA Lafayette, Arizona(good win i guess), Tulane, Fresno St. 1 quality win.

Ok so the 6 best SEC teams have a total of 4 quality wins out of 24 OOC games. And thats counting Arizona, Wash St as quality teams even though they are mid-level Pac10 teams.

Just trying to get that wool off your eyes!!!

Not gonna happen. Carroll has his best recruiting class ever coming in. It would be suicide. Just for the fact that after this class comes in (with a new coach) and wins the NC everyone will question is Carrol was even a good coach in CF or he had just superior talent. I think it was Carroll getting a free trip to Costa Rica. Remember its a little cold right now in SC :) Later Ryan

Well there is a difference in this job versus past offers he's had. Miami is similar to S Cal, always sunny, great sports market, a great tradition there at Miami, not to mention an owner hell-bent on winning at any cost and willing to give him complete control of all of it. Oh yah, they are throwing dumptrucks full of $$$ at him too. There is no other team in any sport that gives its coach that kind of control. This is simply put, the best opportunity Carrol will ever have. Coaches only dream of this type of job, and its laying there on his desk for the taking.

I bet he goes. 5 bucks?

the big difference is at college level the kids are still trying to prove themselves to win for pride and to get that multimillion dollar pro contract. they listen to coaches. In the pros they all have thier own agendas and contract issues......much harder to get people to play as a team at pro level. Carrol is set for his career at USC if he wants and if he goes to Miami its a win or else setup just like every other pro job. I dont care who the owner is after about 2 years you gotta show results or its bye bye time.

You don't think Carrol would be gone with 2 years of .500 records at SC?

SC is on cruise control now. All the coaches have to do is say the word USC and 30 5star recruits line up to sign LOIs. Carrol could go on vacation for 2 years and come back to 2 NC and the best recruiting class in USC history (isn't every recruiting class at USC the best in history?).

I'm just saying, everyone has their price, even Carrol. And mark my words, there will NEVER be a job like this offered to him again. This is the first time he's even listening to an offer, so that says something right there. Huizenga has some special/interesting ways to entice coaches. Case and point, Nick Saban after he won the NC and was on top of the CFB world. Carrol even states:

"This was the one instance I've come in contact with that has all the elements I have talked about," Carroll said at a news conference on campus. "[Huizenga] has structured a program where the head coach has the entire say, from top to bottom.

"It's a one-voice program. I don't think there are any other situations like that in the NFL."

He loves challenges and there aren't any left at USC, its a NC machine on cruise control right now. The real challenge is in the NFL.

well if he loves challenges then miami is the place for him.....dolphins suck. D is getting old and inconsistency at QB. And I never said he wouldnt be gone with two years of .500 at USC. I was talking about the pro level. He wouldnt ever have to worry about .500 seasons at USC. and im sure he has a price and huizenga WILL pay it. but total control isnt always a good thing. Look at holmgren who took the job in seattle so he could be coach AND gm and then a couple seasons into it he gave up the gm spot cuz it was too much work. If carrol leaves USC look for petersen at boise st to get a sweet offer from AD at USC.

Sorry i didn't mean to imply you said he would be gone. Just was stating a question i guess. I think if he went 2 years of .500 records with all those #1 recruits he would be canned.

I think the situation Huizenga is proposing is different from what Holmgren did. Carrol would be able to appoint a GM if he wants. He can do whatever he wants, he would be the man. What you want to talk to the owner? You gotta talk to Carrol first.

As a Dolphin fan I would like to see pete Carroll go and take the Miami job!!!

I'm not quite sure he wants it! And by that I mean.........Not quite sure he wants to try it again it all sounds so good until camp opens and someone holdsout. Then USC looks so much better!!!

I hope he goes to South beach but I say he stays in Southern California.

Ding Dong Crowton's gone!!!!

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Oregon offensive coordinator Gary Crowton is leaving the school after two seasons to take the same job at LSU.

ESPN's Joe Schad first reported the hiring on Monday evening.

Crowton said he accepted his new position Monday and expects to be in Louisiana on Tuesday night. He replaces Jimbo Fisher, who left LSU to become the offensive coordinator at Florida State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732307

Last week Crowton said he is really looking forward to returning and had no desire to go anywhere else. Is there a coach in this country that DOESN'T LIE right to our faces????

But in the end i'm glad he's gone. His whole scheme of 2nd and 1 of trying to finesse the 1 yard, losing 2 then trying the exact same thing on 3rd and 3, getting 0 and punting just doesn't cut it. That happened at least once in every game this year. That is truely pathetic, and its all because of his offense. The redzone was a joke for us too, if we don't score from 30-60 yards out we don't score.

Changes are happening at UofO!!!!