Football thoughts

Michael7979

We did this last year so let's do it again. I want to hear your thoughts and a prediction for both the Ducks and the Beavers. And if you follow another local team give us those thoughts too.

I'll start it off....

First my team the DUCKS...I think they will be right there battling for the 2nd place spot in the Pac-10. I think they can beat USC but California scares me alittle, with both games down there it will make for a very tough schedule this year. But if they can win one of those two games that should give them the edge into 2nd place. Positives are the entire Offense returns and the big negative is we get a new looking Defensive front seven. I see them going 9-3 with a chance at 10-2, OFF TO THE HOLIDAY BOWL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(clap) (rock2) (clap) (rock2) (clap)

The Beavers.....they will be better then last year and I think that having Joe Newton back will make Matt Moore a better QB. A few tough games and a few not so tough games so the schedule I don't think is a killer, but all are tough. Positives are the offense getting most of the same players back that wil help all around. Negatives they replace alot of defensive people so they may struggle a little early on as they gel. I see them winning 7 games with 5 losses. Maybe even winning 8, coming in in the 4th - 6th spot in the Pac-10. The difference being do they beat Arizonia and UCLA.

My Pac-10 final standings

1 - California 10-2

2 - Oregon 9-3

3 - USC 9-3

4 - Arizonia (gut feeling here, I know its a strech) 8-4

5 - OSU (I think they beat UCLA for tie breaker) 7-5

6 - UCLA 7-5

7 - ASU ( just don't believe the hype here) 6-6

8 - Stanford 4-8

9 - Washington 3-9

10 - WSU 2-10

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cal is WAY overrated IMO. They have great RBs but their QBs are terrible. Ayoob only made like 40% of his passes last year. Longshore is unproven at best. Teams are gonna just load up in the box and stop the run like last year. Look what the Ducks did to them, Ayoob was 10-24 with 3 or 4 picks.

Oregon 11-1

USC 11-1

ASU 9-3

Cal 8-4

UCLA 8-4

OSU 6-6

Zona 6-6

Trees 5-7

WSU 4-8

Fuskies 2-10

Ohio state ends up #1, Ducks rated #2, USC #3, ND #4 at 9-3. Ducks get screwed out of BCS championship again.

Heck, ND could end up 8-4 this year easily and would still be in the top 5.

Yeah Ill agree with you on Cal being overrated. Ayoob is a joke! Yeah everyone will stack the box and stop Lynch like we did last year 14 carries for 58 yards, OUCH Mr. Heisman. Then that will make him throw a couple picks and have a 33% completion ratio even against our secondary which was freshman besides Sabby last year. I cant believe that guys even has a shot there. He will be replaced by mid-season.

Come on Miles the Ducks 11-1? You gotta be kidding me. Be a little realistic bud. I know its cool to hype your team but WOW :). With a depleted front 7 and a always chancy secondary Im thinking 8-4 at best. Even though Oklahoma is at home they have A.P. If hes healthy he will be trouble. Even though Bomars out stealing money from car lots they have two young QBs that are still good. Remember you play Fresno, USC, Cal, ASU (which is a screwy one because of the QB situation) and obviuosly THE BEAVS !! away this year.

As for the Beavs, who knows. For once in 3 years our start of our scheadule is not against National Championship contenders and teams that were undefeated the year before. Its honestly a toss up. OSU and Arizona are the two teams in the Pac-10 this year that could go either way. In the dumps or close to the top. We open with EWU, BSU, Idaho, Cal, WSU, Wash, and Arizona. Which frankly are all winable games. No one can deny that. So we will see how Moore bounces back from a horrible second half. The O-Line for once in a long time is intact with All American Jeremy Perry holding the left side down. Y.Bernard will have a killer year if Riley feeds him the ball enough. Somehting that was a problem in some games last year. We get BIG JOE NEWTON back which will be a big security blanket for Moore. We do lose All American Fred B. Award winner Mike Hass who will be tough to replace. We have a couple guys stepping up but none like Hass. He is one of a kind. Hopefully someone steps up. Our D isnt depleted as people think losing two LBs and two DL. We still have both our ends Lemma and Orsow and have a good rotation at DT including our man Coker. It think that is the key anymore is to keep fresh legs in the d-line instead of playing #1's all the time. Nfl teams are starting to realize that. Our secondary is much improved. Sabby will have a breakout year definately and be a first day pick in '07. Remember OSU is "Linebacker U" there will be no problems there. I know Bray and Ellision were studs but the new guy Larouque is a stud. Also Darlin and lightning fast Dogget wil keep the tradition goin.

Even though I see the possibility of the Beavs starting off 6-0 and I see them failing somehow. Maybe its too good to be true. I really see the Beavs going 8-4 and finishing 4th in the Pac-10. We will see. No ones an expert. GO BEAVS

I really think the Ducks have a realistic chance of going 11-1, the loss at USC. If we get thru the first 4 games 4-0 watch out. The D line is banged up, but only 2 guys are out, Harris for the season and Felipe for 2-3 weeks and thats it. Wait, Micah Howeth who hasn't practiced is still questionable because of academics. Remember we have Dexter Manley Jr, and this Jeremy Gibbs guy we snatched away from Oklahoma is a real beast. Our secondary is inexperienced, but man do we have speed. Those corners will be able to keep up with the fastest WRs in the country. Patrick Chung and J.D. Nelson are both All Pac-10 caliber players.

Oklahoma is gonna be a great game. Remember their QB was benched first game last year after giving the game to TCU. TCU!!!! He's played WR for a season and a half. AP will get his yards, but they are gonna give him the ball 40+ times a game, there is no way he will be at full strength toward the end of games.

Our offense is going to be unbelievable. We could easily average 40+ points a game. J. Stew is 5-11 240lbs and runs a 4.3 40!! To give you an idea of how hard this guy is to tackle, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2yKRVAHItU

And we have 2 Pac-10 sprinters for WRs. There won't be a corner in the country that can keep up with Kent or Derrick Jones.

I think the beavs are a wildcard. They could have a good year, maybe 4th in the Pac10. No proven WRs, a new secondary and Dline. Thats kinda scary. But the Oline and RBs are solid, so it TE. If Moore can throw more TDs than INTs they might be in for a good season and bowl berth.

Anyway, i could be way off your right. Time will tell!!

GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Well the Beavs got a win last night 56-17. Should have pulled a "East Coast Game" and left all the starters in the whole game it would have been 80-0 :). Team looked prety good. Didnt get to see much of the first team. I was impressed how Riley put in 2nd stringers in the start of the second quarter.WE got to see the future in Canfield and he looked awesome besides one pass. The D was ferociuos. The front 4 looked great. Stopped the run and put a lot of pressure on the QB. Linebackers did good in the run but didnt have much opportunity in the pass game. Secondary same thing. Who really impressed me though was the o-line. Any of the 3 Qbs we played had plenty of time to throw, PLENTY. They also opened some huge holes. Which is nice. I mean I dont know what type of threat EWU is in the pass rushing game but the O-Line looked solid. I liked seeing almost every guy on the sidelines (even some freshman) play last night. On to BSU. GO BEAVS!!! Later Ryan

Yah the game went as it should. That team had freshman QBs and definately looked like a 1AA team. But the beavs had a solid running game, and the defense played fine. Canfield looks to be a good QB. Boise St is up next, they played real well in their first game. Thats when we'll see how good the beavs will be this year.

Did you see ASU struggle with N. Arizona? I wonder how good they are gonna be.

Yeah one thing you gotta remember though is that BSU left the starters in till halfway through the 4th and took timeouts at the end to get the last touchdown. That is just classless. I hate that. Actually Peerboom is a JR, and Nichols is the frosh. No biggie :). Also Sac State is suppose to be a crappier program than EWU!! Yeah the true test is next week in Boise. If we can get by them then we have two weeks to prepare for Idaho, LOL :). We can get off to a good start with a win against BSU. SO GO BEAVS!!! Later Ryan

Look at our schedule this year!! Didn't the beavs play EWU last year too? And idaho? Besides, every single major college team, every single one of them, schedule patsies so theres really no argument there. Look at Texas, V Tech, Ohio state, and W. Virginia schedules.

Anyway, i didn't know that BSU kept the starters in that long. Might not be as good as the score looks. But you also have to consider that teams in those types of conferences have to do that. They rely on making the score look hugely in their favor cuz nobody ever pays attention to them. Thats the only way they can get voters to notice em.

I think OSU's defensive backfield will be what makes or breaks us. I was rather miffed that all Gunderson got to do was kill time with hand offs. He did not get to throw the ball. Both O line and D line were quite impressive. The defensive back really was not put to the test. Always an OSU Achilles heel. It will be interesting to see who rises. I think this year will be more exciting because there are no overwhelming standout teams.

Yeah I gotta third the "No outstanding team in the PAC-10 this year." Well Fresno didnt look like much tonight against Nevada. Maybe that game you guys have against them will be a little interesting. They kinda had the game won the whole time but they just let Nevada kinda hang. Both Rb's on both teams looked pretty impressive though. We will see how the Ucks do against Stanford tomorrow :) . Later Ryan

Well the Furd didn't do much against the duck D. Very suprising but 48-10, they shoulda had 50!. Got burned with some PI penalties though. Still managed to bend and not break! Offense was great. But J.Stew got hurt, thats big time terrible. He was like 22 rushes for 168 yards i think. Plus a 55 yard kickoff return. 4th largest crowd in Autzen history at 58,678 or something.

I read in the paper that Autzen averaged the highest capacity stadium last year, 108.4% of capacity. 2nd was Nebraska at 104.8%. Today was the 43 consecutive sellout. Such a great football stadium!

Yeah it was loud when I was listening to it on the radio. Good job guys. Im starting to wonder about the rest of the Pac-10. What exactly happened to Stew? That is not good. I have a feeling Bernard and Stewart are gonna be a huge part of both offenses. Later Ryan

Cowboys in the superbowl

Ducks second in pac 10, screwed out of another BCS game

Beavers, dead on the highway

Seahawks, all hype, miss playoffs

im never shopping at Upscales again....just kidding. I have feeling that if i boycotted all the duck loving LFS's, I would be pretty thin on livestock.

If the ducks beat SC and Cal, monkey fly backword at midnight, cuz your DREAMING.

THe ducks have a good offense but are missing their defensive front seven. Gotta stop the run to win ballgame ladies and gents. We will see how they do in the rest of the preseason. If they give up running yardage, its all over.

Beavers, they loooked ok against that high school team. The offense line looked like they werer playing well. 1977 was the last time they had the same O line in consecutive years...Mr. Moore is happy about this. As stated before Joe Newton is a monster; if he stays healthy it opens up the offense a lot more.

Did anybody notice the I formation? That will be interesting this year.

Also, someone said OSU's recievers are inexperienced. how so? Wheat-brown and stroughter both got decent PT in previous years. Powers has been around for four years with a bit of PT here and there.

This year is going to be exciting... I dont think anybody will be able to pick how things are going to go down. Im going to guess the ducks end up 8-4 or 9-3....Beavers 7-5 maybe.

Someone get Miles his "special" pill, he is getting way too excited. :)

Well I was camping all weekend and didn't get to hear any of the 2 games (zero reception at Suttle Lake for farther knowledge). Sounds like both teams did what they were suppose to do. Didn't know J. Stewart got hurt............OUCH!!!! Sounds like the Beavs did a good job.

How about Cal getting run over by Tenn. thought it would have been closer, but with the same result.

One week down and several to go................guess we'll see how it all turns out.

Did anyone watch the Louisville game? Why when Louisville was up by 30 do they still have Bush in. Then he breaks his leg and is out for the season. They did the same thing last year by leaving Brohm in when they were ahead by 40+. Teams do it all the time. Goes to show it isnt worth leaving your starters in just to rack up points. Later Ryan

Ugh that OSU-BSU game was tough to watch. I thought the beavs were gonna just roll em over in the first quarter there. Moore gets happy feet after a couple sacks, looks like Canfields time is approaching quickly. That Johnson RB for BSU is a monster!

Hope the Ducks fair better tomorrow night.

Yeah it was rough. Dont you guys play BSU in like two years? Wait till Johson is a Senior, OUCH! Yeah Beavs played like [language filter]. The weird thing is that this is the 3rd year in a row that either team was up 14-0 and lost. Kinda weird. Oh well. I hope the rest of the season isnt this way. Later Ryan

If the Beavers don't fix their D, ever team they play will run the ball on them. Ever team is going to test them against the run and from what I saw last night.........the Beavers can't stop anyone for more than a series.

42-14 after leading 14-0 early. Real painful. Canfeild (who looked real good, didn't see everything cause I was flippin' back and forth with the NFL game)will be starting in 3 weeks if Moore doesn't pull out of the funk he is in................acts like he is scared to death back ther.

Yeah it was rough. Dont you guys play BSU in like two years? Wait till Johson is a Senior' date=' OUCH! Yeah Beavs played like [language filter]. The weird thing is that this is the 3rd year in a row that either team was up 14-0 and lost. Kinda weird. Oh well. I hope the rest of the season isnt this way. Later Ryan[/quote']

Yah thats eerie, 3 years in a row 14-0. Then boom the other team turns it on.

Boise is our first game in 08, they come to Autzen.

I think Riley will turn em in the right direction. Idaho then a bye so they have a lot of time to work.