Top 4 fish

bbatman99

Well, everyone needs a clown or two. I would pick either a true or false perc. because they have the most docile personalities, and they don't get really huge. I have a pair of GS Maroons in a 40b, and they are a pain in the but. I can't reach in there without them attacking my hand.

I would also not have a tank without a lawnmower blenny. They are good for eating algae, and they have great personalities.

If it is anything like my tank, it should have a small tang to eat the algae (trade it in when it gets bigger).

Maybe one other that suits your fancy. I would stay away from a 6-line (eat too many pods), mandarins (unless trained to eat prepared food), damsels (just mean little buggers). A fire-fish (with a covered top on the tank) would be a nice addition, or a shrimp-goby pair is cool to show that relationship.

Good luck.

dsoz

A pair of clowns with an anemone, a Pistol shrimp/yellow watchman goby pair, Cleaner shrimp, Flame or potters angel, and a lawnmower or blue faced blenny. In small tanks I always like to see natural pairing since the fish selection and amount has to be less. Pair of clowns do good almost anywhere with an anemone. Research and find exactly what colors you like the best. The goby will sift the sand bed for food and that helps it stay clean. If you get one with a pistol shrimp paired up they will live together and that is always fun to watch. The angel, will add a lot of color, keep the rocks clean and 95% of them(flames and potters) are safe in reefs. The Blenny is a really fun fish to watch and will help with algae consumption a lot. After your tank is established it would be good to get a small sand sifting star. An urchin is a nice addition also if you have a glass tank. All these fish should get along well together also.

You can't beat a good combination.

I don't agree with the sand sifting star though. I watched one of those whither and die of starvation in my 75g tank. Just not enough food for it. If there is a sand sifting goby, there would be even less food for the star.

dsoz

You can't beat a good combination.

I don't agree with the sand sifting star though. I watched one of those whither and die of starvation in my 75g tank. Just not enough food for it. If there is a sand sifting goby, there would be even less food for the star.

dsoz

I have heard of that experience with a few people, but I had a pair of sand sifting stars that lived in my tanks for 3 years and are likely still alive today. I haven't ever lost one and they have always done wonderful at keeping my sand bed clean. Plus they are fun to watch. I remember one sand sifting star that I got when it was 3" or so across. By the time I removed him from the tank he was about 7" across.

A pair of clowns, A shrimp goby and pistol shrimp combo, some kind of blenny, and a small tang would definately be my first 5 fish. I always try and load up on inverts.

Garrett

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I had planned to get at least 1 perc. A Yellow Watchman was on my radar as well. I hadn't thought about the pistol shrimp but if it's entertaining I'm game. I also like the Flame Angel's as well. It's the last fish I'm undecided on.

You don't want my opinion. Snowpunk can testify to that. I have a 36g with

2 false perc's mated pair

1 Green bubble tip (split happy, about 4 or so times a year)

2 chromies

1 Royal Gramma

1 Cleaner shrimp killing Purple tang

1 frozen food eating dwarf lionfish

1 tiger tail cucumber

1 serpant starfish

1 sand sifting starfish

10 or so hermits

6 mixed snails

1 sally lightfoot

2 peppermint shrimp

1 emerald crab

1 unidentified (yet) orange crab

and a bunch of coral...whew. That was a mouthful.

To all that care, tang is VERY small (about 1 MAYBE 1.5 inch) as is Lionfish (quarter when spread out). And I will be either upgrading tanks to accomidate tang and lion, or seperating into different tank when need arrises.

I have heard of that experience with a few people, but I had a pair of sand sifting stars that lived in my tanks for 3 years and are likely still alive today. I haven't ever lost one and they have always done wonderful at keeping my sand bed clean. Plus they are fun to watch. I remember one sand sifting star that I got when it was 3" or so across. By the time I removed him from the tank he was about 7" across.

A pair of clowns, A shrimp goby and pistol shrimp combo, some kind of blenny, and a small tang would definately be my first 5 fish. I always try and load up on inverts.

Garrett

Just wanted to let you know the sand sifting stars are still alive and doing well.

As for fish I can definitely agree with a pair of false perc clowns, and the goby combo, and then I would choose a 6 line wrasse. I dont think a reef is complete without a 6 line wrasse.

I have been discouraged on several occasions about putting a 6 line in my tank. I have heard several stories supporting not having one as well. I do understand that there are several benifits outside of looks to having them. Maybe a Coralis Wrasse or something would work better.

Nothing implied towards downhill biker, just sharing my experience. I have wanted one for quite some time and still do.

I have been discouraged on several occasions about putting a 6 line in my tank. I have heard several stories supporting not having one as well. I do understand that there are several benifits outside of looks to having them. Maybe a Coralis Wrasse or something would work better.

Nothing implied towards downhill biker, just sharing my experience. I have wanted one for quite some time and still do.

Do you care to share your experience/stories you have heard? All I have heard, and personally experienced is jumping. If you have a cover they are fine, if you dont, and i dont, they can jump and die. It's sad, but you move on. I think the benefit far outweighs the risk.

I have heard that they become bullies in tanks. I recently heard a story from Snowpunk about someone who had a 6 line in a 180g and it became so aggressive that it is now in a 50 or something alone.

I am not disputing their benefit, or even trying to discourage anyone from getting them, just sharing what I have heard. I will see if Snowpunk will que in and share specific's or story, I do not know all the facts so there maybe something important here that was left out.

Not sure on your budget, but this is what I would put in there if it was my tank

peppermint hogfish

peppermint%20hogfish.jpg

blue potter's angelfish (expensive, the orange ones are much cheaper and just as cool, this is a mix of the two)

PottersAngel.jpg

picasso clowns

weekly07093.jpg

and a bluespot jawfish (if you have the substrate for it)

BlueSpotJawfish9.jpg

if those are out of your price range you may want to look into

yellow watchman goby

Yellow%20Watchman%20Goby.jpg

blue assessor

D8C376084D894D89889564A9F6347A4E.jpg

and black cap basslet

blackcap%20basslet.jpg

and a nice pair of perculas

pchanclown_400.JPG

***NOTE lots of the se are jumpers, so you would need to have a plan to contain them***

yea, although I have never had one (do to peoples stories) I have been scared away from six lines. I was chatting with a guy that had one that just picked on everything. Basically put him in a tank with some giant damsels because they were the only ones that could hold their own against him. Couple others cringe at the word and recommend 4 of 12 lines instead. If you get one try to make it the last fish in the tank.

Both Snowpunk and Krux make good points here. And yes I know I have a PT in a very small tank. But take heade to what they say. The only reason I got this tang is because of my hopefull future plans. Then again, you may see him up for trade or sale in the future if my plans fall through.

Both Snowpunk and Krux make good points here. And yes I know I have a PT in a very small tank. But take heade to what they say. The only reason I got this tang is because of my hopefull future plans. Then again' date=' you may see him up for trade or sale in the future if my plans fall through.[/quote']

No you guys won't cause I'm gonna nab him up if it ever comes to that(naughty)