Introduction

bbatman99

Hi all, my name is Brad and I'm new to the hobby. I began my journey with some bad advice from a LFS and have since learned from my mistakes. I completely gutted my new tank and started over. I have since found Saltwater FantaSeas where I purchased all my SW from. I also have 20lbs of Arag-Alive LS and 30lbs of LR.

I have a CUC that's taking care of business while I wait for the tank to mature. I'll be looking adding some beginner coral in a few months and letting that settle before I add any fish. I'm now starting to see some pods in the tank so this is going much better this time around.

I'm hoping I can learn from everybody on here.

thanks!

HELLO BRAD! Now, its a good thing you didn't hear that from all of us at once! You might think you were in some kind of treatment center! Well, truth be know...this is a very addictive hobby!

On a serious note. This is a great place to be. The people are great, and are true to the spirt of the Great Northwest...helpful, honest and willing to go out of their way to help!

Welcome aboard.

Kris

Welcome!! Just know that while a local forum is priceless' date=' you can also find some really good info on small tanks and general info at nanoreef.com They helped me survive until I found this site![/quote']

And to you Grassi...if I haven't said so before....Welcome aboard yourself!

Kris

Thanks everyone!

Kris, I almost felt like an addict giving an introduction! ;)

Grassi, I spent a few months on NR before finding this site. While there was good information at times, I had a hard time with all the flaming that occurs when people asked simple questions while learning. Sometimes forums can be a little rough.

It took me months just to settle on a tank. I was researching like crazy and I spent countless hours on the computer confused as ever. My wife finally got to the point of saying "just choose one so I can have you back" :)

My wife finally got to the point of saying "just choose one so I can have you back" :)

I recognize that saying. My wife said the same thing to me about two years ago when I tried to get back into the hobby.

Welcome to the group. I hope you can make it to a meeting in the near future. The next one is a back-stage tour of the Oregon Coast Aquarium and Marine Science Center in Newport.

Where in Gresham are you? I grew up there between Division and Powell off of 202nd (Birdsdale). I graduated from good ol' GHS. :)

dsoz

Welcome Brad! Most of the yahoos on here are less likely to flame and more likely to help you with whatever your question may be. We have all been there and we just want to see other peoples personal oceans thrive... If we like you, we are then going to flame you every chance we get, but it will be good flames(if their is such a thing). I you start to realize this is gonna be your home, Paying members get store discounts and it helps to keep the forum running. $20 a year if you so choose. Don't have to though. :D

and you get the nifty card. I have yet to experience any discounts but then again I haven't gotten around very much, and out of the 4 stores I have been to I have only bought from 2. Not that the rest didn't have nice stuff, money wasn't being cooperative at the time.

Welcome to the forum Brad!

I'm glad you did not get discouraged after following bad advice. There is still a lot of misinformation going around in the hobby. One of the purposes of organizations such as PNWMAS is to dispel much of this bad info, and encourage each other. We also share many of our mistakes, so others can learn from them as well. Whether you are starting your first tank, or have maintained countless setups over a few decades, everyone is welcome here. One thing about this hobby is that for even the most advanced aquarists, there is always something new to learn.

Nice setup you have there. We are fortunate to have LFS and PNWMAS sponsors like Saltwater Fanta-Seas that will not steer you wrong!

If you would like to receive notifications of PNWMAS Meetings & Events, please send me a PM, and you will be added to the PNWMAS Evite list.

"Evite" notices are sent by e-mail, so I will need an e-mail address!

We hope to see you in Newport next month at the HMSC and OCAQ behind-the-scenes tours.

Thanks! I'll be looking at trading my carpet anemone pretty soon or trading it back in to Patrick...the true percs I had (before ich) hosted this anemone within 12 hours. It was awesome but unfortunately I didn't research the anemone close enough to realize I added it too soon (rookie mistake #17 for me). ;)

hey Brad..like the others have said, you will get lots of advice and deals on this forum..its great to be a member of a local forum! :) most of the lfs are awesome too! ive hit all of them except for a few that are further away..great stuff :)

and if you have any questions, you can ask me as well :D what kind of corals do you want? mixed reef? soft or SPS dominant?