Help me buy a DSLR!

spayne

Okay, so if you've read my "angry" thread, you know I'm in the market for a new camera. Photography is my other obesession. I want to step up to digital SLR. The Sony H1 was a good in between camera for P&S to DSLR... and it served me well. (sad)

CCR recommended the Canon Rebel... which I was considering. I'm also thinking about the Nikon D50 or possibly D70. What other camera bodies do you guys recommend or prefer?

Also, what lenses should I be getting? Shoot, I wasn't ready to go DSLR yet so I have my research cut out for me! I know I need a general purpose lens, a macro lens and eventually one for distance. And flash... that's not built in either!

So throw me some suggestions as I'm busily researching. I'm going down to Best Buy and looking at cameras, just for preliminary research. Not buying today! Gotta wait for my money from Jay's nasty store. I really do hope they come through and reimburse me/Jay for the theft.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AGAIN THE CANON you can shot your corals on sport mode and don't need the flash, anyway we could get any we wanted. The color reproduction and detail is trully amaizing> we take it to sports games, and the pets, grandkids ect. Shop for a kit, Costco had them, then if you don't like it. No hassle return!!!!! oUr daughter has the same one, Good Luck, and happy shopping!!!

I got it.... you can come over and take pics of my tank.... Since I can't get a good pic, I'm holding your Blue Ora Millipora hostage... here is a pic of him (I edited out the bandit with the black mask for my safety (scratch)). Your zoo's are just below. LOL, See you guys tomorrow.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/nyleswright/Reef%20Tank/tank8-19-06004.jpg

I'm a Nikon fan from way back, so I'm slightly biased and think you should get one :-)

Either the new Canon Rebel or a Nikon D50/70 would be a good choice, each have different strengths and weaknesses. If you can afford to spend a *bit* more, you really should check out the new Nikon D80. It looks like a great successor to the D70.

In general, Canon's are viewed as having slightly better autofocus than Nikons, and Nikons definitely have a better speedlight system. The Canon sensor is a bit less noisy at ultra-high ISO settings, while Nikons feel sturdier. One could go back and forth like this for hours ;)

I'd spend some time playing with whatever models interest you; visit a reputable camera shop (Pro Photo Supply in Portland is a great shop) and just chat with a salesperson. You might even consider renting a couple of different cams for a day or so. Really, any 'quality' difference between similarly featured high-end cameras is likely to be overshadowed by differences in how each model fits in your hand, or which interface you prefer, or just which 'feels' better.

As far as lenses go, I'd suggest buying the 'kit' lens that comes with the body -- they're usually something like 35-80mm zooms. On the Nikon side, the kit lens for the D70 was actually surprisingly good considering the price. I can't comment on the Canon equivalent. This is the lens I use the most, for casual shooting, for portraits and for aquarium shots. If you're serious about macro photography, you might consider a prime (non-zoom) macro lens in the 100mm range. A telephoto zoom can be useful, but I don't use my 100-300mm zoom very much at all. You can't go wrong by picking up a fast 50mm prime (like a f/1.8) -- they're super useful, and pretty cheap (around $100).

An external speedlight is very useful for portraits, events and casual candids. I haven't found them to be much use in aquarium photography, they blow out the subject and flatten the image. Figure a couple hundred bucks for a decent speedlight.

Feh, I could babble on for hours about this DOH! Have fun, take your time, and *never* buy sight-unseen. It doesn't matter how highly rated a camera is at some internet photo site if it is too heavy or the shutter release is in the wrong position for you hand.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention... Be sure you budget for a good quality tripod and head if you want to get the best aquarium shots you can. A good tripod is a pleasure to use, and a cheap one will just sit in the closet.

Thanks for all the great advice! You guys rock! And Andy... I was eyeballing the Nikon D80, but I'm not sure if I can convince Jay to get me one (like he doesn't have an expensive hobby himself! (laugh) ). Unless I can guilt him into it for getting my camera stolen. It's going to drive me crazy not having a camera... and my Nikon CoolPix 2100 just isn't going to cut the mustard for me. There certainly is a lot of buzz circulating about the D80!

I went to Circuit City and Best Buy and handled the Nikon and the Canon. The Nikon has a pretty bulky handgrip for my hands... but it fits Jay really well. Course, he's not the shutterbug in the family either so his opinion doesn't count! The Canon fit nicely. I have a rough time deciding as that little Nikon P&S that I have took some really awesome pics for what it was. Then I handled a Sony and got sad... but I think I definitely want to stick with either Nikon or Canon.

I will definitely look into renting one... and playing with Nyles' Canon when I come over. And by the way, my zoas look AWESOME!!! I am so excited!

There's a new option! Canon is updating the Rebel XT to the XTi. Just announced today, although I've heard rumors about it. So now I'm down to:

Nikon D80

Canon Rebel XTi

Sony A100

The specs all look pretty comporable between all of them. I have a soft spot for Sony since that's what I had. They also bought out Konica Minolta, so it's kind of a Minolta which is cool. I held it and it fits my hands nicely. But what really matters is the picture taking ability.

The Nikon... I haven't gotten ahold of a D80 to hold yet. Have handled a D70s though. Bit big, but I'm after the quality of the camera. The one thing that worries me about Nikon is it apparently doesn't come bundled with a RAW editting program. It's just a tester.

The Canon XT seems a bit... flimsy for lack of better words. The XTi doesn't come out until next month though, so that model might be a bit different.

So that's how the search stands now. ;)

Looks like you're doing your research :) The lack of included software with the Nikon *IS* really annoying. However, most users end up using some other tool than the one included with their camera anyways so I dunno how big a deal this really is. It sure is annoying though.

I'm anti-Sony nowadays, given the absolute-crap quality of the last DVD player and VCR I bought from them. That, and their proprietary memory cards :(

I am a research fiend! That's why I so love the internet! I've been lurking in several photography forums as well, seeing how users like their cameras. Course, no one has the D80 or XTi yet... so I guess my camera purchase won't be happening in the immediate future. Jay still hasn't gotten the reimbursement for the stolen camera yet either.

Sorry you had a rough go with Sony products, Andy! I've always had good luck with them, but that doesn't mean diddly! I loved the H1 although I was a bit peeved that they came out with the H2 within a few months with the Carl Zeiss lens. Also, amusingly, the D80 uses a Sony CCD. (laugh)

Can't wait for the D80 and XTi to be released so I can see how people like them!

Well i'll tell you this if you want to wait till the end of the year the new Nikon D80 comming out, body that you can buy will be priced at 999$ ,----darn a good deal.and another new DLSR comming out at the beggining of the next year Olympus and Panasonic Conpanies Making a new model Same price

But what ever camera you will chose make sure it has planty of ISO.You also get lower visual noise, which is great when shooting in low light situations or when you set the ISO to the upper end of its range. Some DSLRs can shoot at an ISO of up to 6400, which gives you phenomenal performance for high-speed action or very low light.

ISO speed is the sensitivity of your film or digital to light. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive to light it is, allowing you to use faster shutter speeds or to shoot in bad light.

But higher ISO speeds reduce quality, so it's a good idea to use lower ISO whenever you can.