What the heck! my Midas Blenny died!

jason7504

Lol, a quadruple post. You have a good point about the MAC fish, but one would ask could they really do better in the hands of a cyanide catcher?

The answer to that I can assure you is no.

Jason, that's a good amount of fish, but I wouldn't go over that to much more. It would be a little crowded for a 34g.

*ADDED* Mini-Mysis are available frozen as well. We have both kinds.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

-Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc.-

One that I should mention about the flame angel is that they almost always nip at corals. It might not effect some corals but can whipe out others. Personally I will never put an angel of any type in one of my reef tanks again. I have tried it many times and they have all eventually become coral nippers.

Lol, a quadruple post. You have a good point about the MAC fish, but one would ask could they really do better in the hands of a cyanide catcher?

Jason, that's a good amount of fish, but I wouldn't go over that to much more. It would be a little crowded for a 34g.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

will rainsford's eat non mini mysis too?

I agree that catching fish with cyanide is an awful practice but just because a fish is not MAC certified doesn't mean it is collected with cyanide. For example we get Hawaiian net caught flame angels and they are not on the MAC list.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

One that I should mention about the flame angel is that they almost always nip at corals. It might not effect some corals but can whipe out others. Personally I will never put an angel of any type in one of my reef tanks again. I have tried it many times and they have all eventually become coral nippers.

All the research we've done on them and personal experience shows that if you put a Flame Angel in your tank they may nip at LPS, Zoanthids, or some invertebrates but otherwise they tend be safe in a SPS tank. Same goes for Coral Beauties, but Lamarck Angels and Black Spot Angels appear to not even pose a risk to any coral though. That is why we stock them.

Just wanted to clarify it as it's not just "reef tanks" in general, and not all angels pose a risk.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

All the research we've done on them and personal experience shows that if you put a Flame Angel in your tank they may nip at LPS, Zoanthids, or some invertebrates but otherwise they tend be safe in a SPS tank. Same goes for Coral Beauties, but Lamarck Angels and Black Spot Angels appear to not even pose a risk to any coral though. That is why we stock them.

Just wanted to clarify it as it's not just "reef tanks" in general, and not all angels pose a risk.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

ok thanks..that sucks because im going to have primarly a LPS and SPS tank..hmmm

I have even had lamark angels become nippers. But then again so do some tangs. I have had to pull out more than one blue tang over the years that has started nipping at LPS.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

will rainsford's eat non mini mysis too?

They might, but it could be a little to large for them. It would really depend upon the size of the fish itself. He'd at least take a shot at it. (laugh)

For example we get Hawaiian net caught flame angels and they are not on the MAC list.

Same here, I mentioned this in a earlier post.

I have even had lamark angels become nippers. But then again so do some tangs. I have had to pull out more than one blue tang over the years that has started nipping at LPS.

There will always be a rare anomaly. It always help to feed the fish adequately to keep this from happening. Doesn't mean it's avoidable though.

and dont lamarck and black spot angels get too big for a 34g?

I wouldn't put one in a 34g.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

I feed my fish very well, and my Flame Angel still nipped SPS and LPS. I had zero daytime PE, and couldn't keep acans at all. I got rid of the Angel and saw immediate improvement in SPS PE and can now keep acans. I'll never have another dwarf angel in a reef tank. YMMV.

I feed my fish very well' date=' and my Flame Angel still nipped SPS and LPS. I had zero daytime PE, and couldn't keep acans at all. I got rid of the Angel and saw immediate improvement in SPS PE and can now keep acans. I'll never have another dwarf angel in a reef tank. YMMV.[/quote']

Ouch, you had a hungry little bugger.(hungry)

Ricky Soutas Jr.

Yeah, really have mixed emotions... while I was happy to see PE and acans, I miss having such a beautiful fish. I'm jealous of those with better behaved dwarf angels. If they were easier to catch once in the tank, I'd be more eager to take the chance ;)

Yeah' date=' really have mixed emotions... while I was happy to see PE and acans, I miss having such a beautiful fish. I'm jealous of those with better behaved dwarf angels. If they were easier to catch once in the tank, I'd be more eager to take the chance ;)[/quote']

I have a "reefsafe" Multicolor Dwarf. I worried that if I move him, he'll change his mind. DOH!

man i want a flame so bad because they are so colorful and awesome but then i wanna keep some LPS and SPS..i dont know what to do...i mean i could get lucky and get one that doesn't nip as much or could get one that nips and kills all of my LPS or SPS..hmmm such a hard choice