Is it worth it?

I'm looking for a little advice. I've got some T-5 lights that probably need new bulbs, but I'm wondering if it would be better to wait and invest in MH lights? The second question is which one to buy? I like having the open top, so I'm not going to be able to retro fit some MH lights. My tank, 72 gal bow front, is 48 x 18 x 22. Everything seems to be gowing fine, so on one hand I'm inclinded to just leave it as it is and buy the new bulbs.

I've done some research, but wanted to get feedback from people in the know... that means probably just about anyone who reads this compaired to me.:D

Thanks!

It really comes down to personal preference.

The T5s will last you longer, give off less heat, and give more flexibility for getting the color you are after.

MH you will need probably 2 pendants. This means 2 pendants, 2 bulbs, and a dual ballast need to be purchased. You will need to keep an eye on the temp of the tank while you adjust the height. I would suggest starting the pendants high and bringing them down an inch or 2 each week until you get them down close to the tank. This will allow your corals to adapt to the stronger point-source lighting.

I love the shimmer from MH and the growth and color it produces in the corals. But I love the less heat, less cost, longer bulb life, and flexibility with T5. So its a tossup for me personally. (laugh)

Can't improve on what impur said -- he's dead-on except for the less-heat issue. T5 and MH are very similar in their efficiency, thus give off the same amount of heat (a Watt is a Watt). T5 spreads the heat generation across the surface area of multiple bulbs while MH have a point source origin. Not that it matters a whole lot.. theoretically, it is easier to cool a smaller, more intense heat source but I don't think it really applies much in our use.

Yeah, the Maristar is the Ferrari of the MH fixture world. Current makes one and there are several other knock offs. Just make sure you read reviews and research before you buy to make sure the fixture you do get is right for you. Cheap ones have been known to burn houses down.

I agree with Impur, I have less water evap with my T-5 and little more heat with MH, but I like the shimmer of the MH and the color of the MH better. Owning both I would stick with MH, my cost of bulbs is about the same.

With my old system it needed 3 MH or (8) T-5 (in my case) I paid about 220 for the T-5 lasting about 18 months but I changed them every 12 months. The MH lasted me about 12 months but I changed every 9 months and ran me about 180 for the three 400 watt bulbs. So its very close. I would suggest looking at some MH systems and make a decision, make sure to ask what bulb tempurature there running, there is a huge difference in color from 15 and 20k and also growth differences.

Yeah' date=' the Maristar is the Ferrari of the MH fixture world. Current makes one and there are several other knock offs. Just make sure you read reviews and research before you buy to make sure the fixture you do get is right for you. Cheap ones have been known to burn houses down.[/quote']

Want to see the Ferrari go to the Elos website(whistle) You can even get one painted Ferrari red(laugh) They are real nice lights.

I agree with Bob on the cheap light you get what you pay for when it comes to lighting. So go with what you can afford and look around as you might come across a good used set up also. I bought a Elos pendant used and it still has 3 years left on the warranty. They come with a 5 yr warranty. They are the only company I know of th offer this.

Hello Spider Crab welcome to the club! T-5 vs MH is generally a questions of what type of coral you want to keep. You can keep SPS and clams under T-5 but from my experience you will be much more successful with MH. That said, if you're are looking for a bit of an upgrade you can also try overdriving your T-5s with a VHO ballast. The IceCap 660 is a good choice. Good Luck!

Ray