to drill or not to drill

J & Jr

Hi: my name is john my son and I are trying to set up a new reef tank to house the Inhabitants of a tank we rescued in an old 55 gal tank.it had an undergravel filter which I have read is a no no. We bought a new 75 gal glass tank from joel at waves it has a corner overflow built in and I plan on a large sump/fuge 30-40 gal, and am looking for suggestions for water movement in the main tank a closed loop or other options I would like as little in the main tank as possible as the current tank is using 5 old powerheads and looks sad. also suggestions on a skimmer to handle that amount of water presantly I have a coralife super skimmer it seems to work if smell and dark green sludg is any indication.

I was happy to find PNWMAS and will be joining at the BBQ and looking forward to meeting some of you Thank you for any suggestions and will try to post pic's if I can figure out how might need to find a kid (scratch)

What kind of inhabitants are in the 55 now? What kind of tank would you like to have? Flow and lighting are very dependant on the type of animals you would like to keep. I agree with you on not wanting powerheads in the tank. I like the look and function of a closed loop. If you are going the closed loop route, I would suggest getting a Oceans Motions 4 -way to randomize your flow. It is the one regret that I have from my tank build. I should have put one in.

Welcome to PNWMAS.

I look forward to meeting you at the BBQ.

Jay

the 55 has a large amount of live rock seems like more rock than water, 1 scooter blenny, 1clown,2 pajama cardnals,1 yellow tang,5large turbo snails and assorted small snails.1large blue legg hermit crab and assorted small hermits, one .50 size green crab never seen, 1 hammer 1frogspawn 1green star polip and one candycane? I have power compact lights now and plan on metal hilide soon, after I get this tank up and running. I would like to be able to have most corals and clams and 3-5 small fish when finnished.

I am trying not to rush this and not to have to go the I wish I had done this route. so before I can fill this tank I need to make a decision on how to move the water, at least I think that is my first decision?

okay drill it is.

anyone out there with soom pic's or drawings on where and how many and what equip I need to run a good closed loop? I have a lot to learn and more to buy DOH! I can't go to wild I do have a wife and son to support(laugh)

Here's the link to Jay's closed loop thread:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=807

Other than that, I won't be much help to you. Jay is the plumbing guy. Come up with some preliminary ideas and ask what everyone thinks. That's the best advice I can give you. Oh, and there is indeed such a thing as too much flow! Rely on the experience of others to advise you so you're not in the situation Jay is in... thinking that he's going to have to eventually do some modifications to his closed loop! DOH!

Well I picked up the new tank at waves today and bought a fistfull of bulkheads so I guess the next step is making a finale decision on where to position them on the tank(scary).

I hate the thought of putting in all those holes and then saying thats not where i wanted them and having to start all over with a new tank(flame)

Will start welding the metal stand monday and working on the wood covers next week.

• 6 months later...

I wish I could drill my glass bowfront but I'd probably shatter it. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to an acrylic tank. My LFS told me that acrylic tanks aren't very popular around here is that right? Also are there any places where I can get a custom acrylic tank made locally?

One of the sponsors is a local person that works acrylic, and makes tanks. I think it is James at envision acrylic. Look for him on the sponsor page, and also in the sponsor section of the forums. I have seen a couple of posts from happy customers. I have never done business with him myself. Acrylic scratches too easily for me. I am way too clumsey. One Dropped rock, and SCRATCH, the front is ruined.

dsoz :)