New OCA exhibit

Michael7979

Don't know if anyone reads The States-man Journal, but they had an article in todays paper about the new exhibit that the Oregon Coast Aquarium is going to open in May (labor day weekend). It is going to be an exhibit featuring shrimps, crabs, lobsters, isopods, and copepods. Its going to be called "CLAWS". It will run for about a years time.

I e-mailed the PR lady there hoping to get some more info. about it. And if/when I do, I'll forward that information to the club.

Sounds like it might be pretty cool!!!

Got a response from the OCA. Here it is, (from the fish and invert curator):

Hello Mike,

Cindy passed your email to me to answer. The claws exhibit will display tropical, temperate and cold / deep water animals. The emphasis is on different crustaceans and the species will include those that humans have utilized for sometimes generations as well as others that are just interesting or unique.

At this time, the animals are from saltwater and estuary habitats. The exhibit is planned at this time to be a two year exhibit and when we reach the end of the first year you can expect to see a change out of some species for different animals.

If you are familiar with live coral displays that also house other invertebrates you would be familiar with some of the species we will display. In addition we plan to display others that just do not get along well enough to place in community settings. When these animals are combined with other animals thatare found in very dep waters and remote locations we hope to provide a good cross section of animals that represent the group.

Without giving away exactly which animals we will display, I hope this will give you an idea about the type of animals we have selected.

All the best,

Tad

Sounds like it should be a nice exhibit!!