clownfish behavior

jason7504

well i got 2 false percs from the store..they weren't listed as a mated pair but they were swimming together alot at the lfs and had been for a while and since i got them last friday, they also have been swimming mostly together but one(i think its the bigger one) does kind of swim fast and try to nip the other one and then retreats. they dont actually fight and have torn fins( at least not yet)..is that normal for a pair? or will they start fighting?

also is it also normal for them to get more aggressive or active once the light shuts off or turns on? becuase last night when i turned the light off, they kind of freaked out and swam everywhere and the one started charging the other one and wrestling but it stopped shortly after

also the smaller clown will sometimes swim quickly along the glass back and fourth several times and then stop for a little and then do it again..is that normal? lol

I do believe it is normal. My clowns when first introduced to each other did the same thing. Ever since then they are side by side. Occasionally my female, the bigger one I believe to be female, seems to kick the other one out of the anemone every once in a while but in a day or so they are side byside in there again. Everything I am reading that you are experiencing seems normal in my opinion.

If you got them at seahorse, they are probably Dave's (Barleycuda) clowns. He raised them from eggs.

As to behavior. Clowns are dumb. They do all sorts of dumb things. I call mine the Labrador Retrievers of the sea (act just like a big dumb lab). That is why a lot of people like them.

wait until the little one will "lay down" and "shake" it is really funny to watch.

dsoz

If you got them at seahorse, they are probably Dave's (Barleycuda) clowns. He raised them from eggs.

As to behavior. Clowns are dumb. They do all sorts of dumb things. I call mine the Labrador Retrievers of the sea (act just like a big dumb lab). That is why a lot of people like them.

wait until the little one will "lay down" and "shake" it is really funny to watch.

dsoz

oh really? there daves..thats interesting :)

but they aren't misbars

If these pair did come from the clownhouse they are not old enough to be spawning yet but most likely are establishing dominance during the pairing process. This is completely normal.

I have Matt Wettenrich's book and would really like to meet him some day. I now have 6 different species of clowns spawning and would like to discuss some ideas with him.

Dave

Thanks,

When I met Rob a little while back he said that the clowns Matt has were yours :) I told him that you were welcome to come see the clownhouse if you wanted. I have heard the possibility that Matt may come to portland and if he does I would like to meet him.

Sorry Jason for straying away from the topic...

Dave