My new 15g nano.

corvica

Hello all thought I would share some pics and specs for my new nano. I am still working on the canopy and base. A guy over on nano-reef made them for me and did some awesome work, except he normally builds stuff for 5.5 and 10g which have 1" black plastic bracing trim and the 15g has 1.5" so I have to do some minor cosmetic wood work. Nice thing with a BB and small tank is you can just empty it and work on it.

Here are the system specs....

Basics:

15G (24Lx12Dx12T) AGA Brand

Canopy and Base

Stand:

29 Gallon Stand from Petsmart...actually pretty nice.

Lighting

70w MH 10k Ushio

2x24w Teklight Retro (1xActinic O3 & 1xBluePlus)

2 x Icecap 3" fan in hood

Coralife 1w Moonlite

Filtration:

Aqua C Remora Skimmer - MaxiJet 1200

Skimmer Box (8.5x7.5x2.5)

Heating:

50w Mini Tronic (mounted in skimmer box)

Chiller:

Iceprobe Chiller

Mounted in Aqua Clear Mini HOB

Circulation: 45x turnover

2 x Maxijet 1200 (on wave mode)

(skimmer pump MJ 1200)

(AquaClear Mini 100gph)

Controller:

Aqua Controller Jr. with serial port

-lights

-temp

-wave mode

-monitor PH

Misc:

Black Acrylic Bottom (Barebottom System)

Spray painted back and bottom

Stocking:

Inverts-

20 snails

10 hermits

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

1 Red Sea Star (Fromia milleporella)

3 clams (crocea, squamosa, deresa, or maxima)

Fish-

1 Rainford Goby

1 Twinspot Yellow Hog

1 Barnicle Blenny

2 Dragon Face Pipefish (still deciding if they can handle the flow)

Corals-

SPS only

Acropora (blue tort center piece)

Montipora

Seriatopora

I wanted to thank Joel at Waves, he has been a great sounding board and help thoughout the process. If you havent been to Waves you are missing out.

And the pics....

welll yah they will come when I figure out how to post them lol... where the heck is the gallery

• Like 1

Hey Cormac, I am getting into the nano tanks again and saw this awesome thread. I just got hold of a 24 nano cube. I'm going to put a 70w MH and about 3 X 36 PC. When I get started I'll let everyone know of my build. Nice seeing you again.

jansen

keep in mind the iceprobes are thermoelectric, so will only cool the water as low as the ambient air temperature... i was going to go with a thermoelectric chiller, but my apartment gets above 81 in the summer, so the technology wouldnt work for me.

sounds great, looking forward to pics!

Hey Cormac' date=' where did you get that 70w mh retro kit from? I'm trying to find one over here. No one carries it except on the internet. LMK.[/quote']

I have a 70w MH retro kit i put together. Most of it came off the internet, the ballast was $30 off ebay, the bulb $30 at Albany Aquarium, and i used the 500w halogen outdoor fixture from HD $9. So i guess just the ballast came off ebay. I'm sure you could find a 70w MH ballast locally.

Palani - Try a store on ebay called aquabuys. They sell the whole kit including the reflector and glass for 150 I think. I got mine form the guy who build my canopy. Also try the 14k Phoenix bulb, the 10k ushio is pretty yellow.

R3 - no sump, I didnt want the extra fuss.

DROCK - the fan is a thermoelectric chiller called and Iceprobe, they say they can take a 10g tank down 6-8 degrees, we will see. and no I wasnt involved with the CPD thing lol, when I was down there I worked a few calls with Ofc. Thayer and he was a good cop, unfortunately he made a very bad judgement decision and payed a career ending price.

Completed my rock work...lots of places for SPS frags. Whats the opinion on random flow for sps, do you need/have to have it. I was going to run my to MJ1200 on wave mode but at 20w the really heat up the tank. I was thinking of switching to a Sieo 620 and a microjet tucked behind the rock to move the water behind the rock but they wouldnt be on wave mode. Will the SPS benefit more from the increased flow w/o wave mode or stay with lower flow MJ 900's with wave mode. Thanks

dsc014027ds.jpg