Diamond Goby in Biocube

grassi

We brought home a beautiful Diamond Goby today to our 14g Biocube. I had done some research last night before getting him, but apparently not enough since now I'm reading he needs 50 gallons??

I was told at the shop that he will eat mysis shrimp too, so I was planning to feed him that every 2-3 days in addition to him sand sifting. Do you think he'll be ok?

I really love him, he's just so fun to watch... however the hubby hates how he's flinging sand around so much that he keeps having to vacuum the fuge and it clouds the water. So I'm veto'd and he'll have to go back..

He's really great though if you have a tank that can have large amount of sand moved around without it causing problems. Seems to have filtered out all our cyano too!! (it was only on the sand) :)

What about trading it for a yellow watchman maybe. You can get them at 1" some times. They sift sand, but don't really seem to stir everything up a lot. My friend has my old one and he is at least 5 years old I think and still only 2" total. He eats brine also, so no problem with food either... Just a thought.

We brought home a beautiful Diamond Goby today to our 14g Biocube. I had done some research last night before getting him, but apparently not enough since now I'm reading he needs 50 gallons??

I was told at the shop that he will eat mysis shrimp too, so I was planning to feed him that every 2-3 days in addition to him sand sifting. Do you think he'll be ok?

Hi,

I was wondering if I could help you out here. We've had more than a few customers who have had these fish successfully in their Hexagon/Biocube/Nanocube/Etc. This fish does not require a 50gal tank, there are quite a few variables that would undermine this theory very fast, one being surface area, but we wont go into that.

I'm not sure exactly, because I'm not observing him myself, but what it sounds like is that he might be trying to make some sort of sand barrier for himself (Like in the store). If this is happening disturbing the piles he make around him will only cause him to do it again, and again.

If he's just sifting the heck out of your sand at the moment, don't worry about it I'm sure he'll settle down, you just need to give him at least a week to settle in. You've got to remember that you haven't had any sand sifters in there, so he has a lot of work catch up with. :)

There is one important area I need to clarify though; you must feed your fish every day. This is important to their health. In the ocean they are constantly eating food all day. So, please feed them once a day. Since it's a 14gal tank I'd do a very light feeding though, as most of the food doesn't wander to far off in a smaller tank.

Hope this helps, and if you have anymore questions in the future just feel free to PM me.

Thanks, Ricky Soutas Jr.

-Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc.-

I have had a couple of these in my 110 (would have been just one but the first guy carpet surfed after a few months). I think they could live in a much smaller space than my big tank simply because once they picked a spot to make a cave in my tank, they spent 90% of their time within inches of that spot. They would fill it back in, re-excavate it, re-model it, etc but always in the same spot. JME with 2 separate fish.

I have had 2 of these on the past 2 years. One was in a 29 gallon and the other lived in my sons 12 gallon AP with no problems what so ever. They will eat food along with sifting the sand. They are great at cleaning the sand so do not worry at all about it.

The fish will do your system more good than harm. By him cleaning the sand it raises "cloudy stuff" in you tanki for your filtration to take out. This is a good thing. after a few days, the cloudiness will not be a pronounced and this also is good. I wouldn't take the fish back.

Your in luck! When you come in Thursday you'll have a few types to choose from if you want one for your tank.

They shouldn't disturb any of your Zoas at all. The only thing I think he might do is accidentally sift sand over them time to time.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

-Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc.-