Grounding Probe?

downhill_biker

As far as making a DIY ground probe, it is simple as attaching a titanium bicycle spoke to a length of wire, with the other end attached to a ground prong of an electrical plug. The titanium is the only part that is in the tank. The other end of the length of wire can also be attached to the electric outlet cover screw.

You should be able to purchase a titanium bicycle spoke at most bicycle shops.

This should be way easier to find than locating titanium welding rods I used to make probes with years go! I bent the section of rod in a "U" shape and set it on the edge of the tank with one end in the water, and the other attached to regular coated copper wire. I covered the wire end/titanium connection with a short piece of aquarium air tubing, then filled the tubing with epoxy glue to prevent any exposure to saltwater.

I do like the commercially made grounds with the two plastic flat prongs and a metal ground prong though, just for simplicity of installation.

Aside from this, always use a GFCI. Faulty equipment, such as a heater, can kill every coral, invert, and fish in your tank. I know this from personal experience.

post-2-14186774292_thumb.jpg

Yes! Electrician to the rescue! One clarification about the grounding probe Dave for those of us that live in old houses. This only works if, in fact, you have legitimate three prong grounded outlets as you are taking advantage of the ground wire in a 3-wire electical system correct? I ask because I have lived in houses where there are 3 prong outlets that are not actually grounded! Always a good idea to check...

Of course, if you live in a house with modern electircal service and functional GFI you should be good to go.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting this! I got as far as the copper wire hooked up to an outlet plug, but got stumped for finding a non-copper part to expose to my tank. A bicycle spoke is a good idea.

As far as making a DIY ground probe, it is simple as attaching a titanium bicycle spoke to a length of wire, with the other end attached to a ground prong of an electrical plug. The titanium is the only part that is in the tank. The other end of the length of wire can also be attached to the electric outlet cover screw.

You should be able to purchase a titanium bicycle spoke at most bicycle shops.

This should be way easier to find than locating titanium welding rods I used to make probes with years go! I bent the section of rod in a "U" shape and set it on the edge of the tank with one end in the water, and the other attached to regular coated copper wire. I covered the wire end/titanium connection with a short piece of aquarium air tubing, then filled the tubing with epoxy glue to prevent any exposure to saltwater.

I do like the commercially made grounds with the two plastic flat prongs and a metal ground prong though, just for simplicity of installation.

Aside from this, always use a GFCI. Faulty equipment, such as a heater, can kill every coral, invert, and fish in your tank. I know this from personal experience.

AWESOME!!! I am so glad to hear this. I really wasn't sure what to think. Just needed some clearification. I will add a grounding probe soon. One thing to remember with the DIY vs. store bought: the copper is in close contact with the tank, where the store bought is coated and probably a little better built.

As far as my powerheads, bigalsonline.com is going to replace both of them for free, I just pay shipping. I am so glad. One powerhead is giving major problems about 20 volts, and the other is giving 2 volts. They agreed to replace both.

AWESOME!!! I am so glad to hear this. I really wasn't sure what to think. Just needed some clearification. I will add a grounding probe soon. One thing to remember with the DIY vs. store bought: the copper is in close contact with the tank, where the store bought is coated and probably a little better built.

As far as my powerheads, bigalsonline.com is going to replace both of them for free, I just pay shipping. I am so glad. One powerhead is giving major problems about 20 volts, and the other is giving 2 volts. They agreed to replace both.

Whether one is better quality depends on the workmanship of the hobbyist or of the manufacturer. The ground probes offered now seem to be well made, and well worth the $15 to $20. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~miscellaneous_titanium_grounding_probe.html

I would avoid cheaply made ones that may use stainless steel, as some manufactured goods are real garbage.(whistle)

Here is an article from the Reefs.org library. I am including the link as the article mentions stray voltage affecting the lateral line of fish, and suppressing the immune system. http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/996/996_5.html

I know that Big Al's has been around for awhile. It sounds like they have been good with their customer service!:D