Starting an Action Plan

Exodus

hello

So im just writing in to get a general idea as to what I should do now, My tank is fully cycled I have a 125 Gallon, 200+lbs Live rock running a bunch of blue PC's only for transitioning to the Dual 400Watt XM 20K MH. I just added a LTA and 2 True percs, The LTA is happy and footed himself within 1 day and later that day the clowns hosted him, I thought it would be cool at first but it is a bit annoying the clowns won't leave the LTA. I have 5 snails and 5 hermit crabs, This was just a starting off cleaning crew I know i need "Allot" more but when starting out a tank they dont exactly have all that much to eat.

My question is this, I know I need to take it slow and I'm concerned about the bioload (Please no critisism about adding the LTA from what I have read reguardless stages of tanks they work or they dont and mine seems to be happy and is eating as are the clowns) I would just like to know what I should add next and how I should add the fish, I was wanting to do soft corals at first, then from there moving into the polyps and zoa's from what i understand they are hardy and dont effect the bioload and good for starting a tank, but as for fish, this is the list i want to add eventually:

1 Foxface Rabbit FIsh

2 Clarkki Clowns

2 Sailfin Tangs

1 Yellow Tang

1 Orange Spotted Watchman Goby

2 Scooter blennies

2 Cleaner shrimp

1 Coral banded Shrimp

2 Linki stars

I have already seen this done in the same exact tank that I have right before I got it except there were a few more fish than that, Should I just add these guys 1 at a time?, should should there be any order too it, and should I just add mabey 10 more clean up crew per fish? Just trying to get an action plan to shoot for, I understand this will take several months if not a year to move in this direction and i plan on taking it slow just want somewhat of a game plan.

P.S The Live rock came from garrett when he was taking down the shop in his garage, The Live sand came directly from his display tank, and Jason from coral reef gave me a bag of sand out of one of his tanks to dump into mine to help the cycling, and it has cycled for over a month now.

Thanks for all your help

Nick

• Like 1

I would add the scooter blenny and the stars last. As they need the hardest food to substitute, make sure the tank is really really matured. I would think you will have a problem with 2 sailfin tangs! And the yellow isn't going to help make that any easier. If you really want to try it, (I suggest you don't thou), add all 3 at once so the territorial aggression would be minimal.

The shrimp, clowns, goby and rabbit should get along fine. Put them in first, then the scooter and stars. With the tangs last!

Just my opinions. Good luck! Nice to see another Salem guy.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good start, and an OK plan (if you listen to Michael). I was going to jump all over the anemone added first. But then I read that you got the rock from garrett, and the rock should still be well established. If you transferred it wet, it should be fine.

I would stay away from more than one tang. Even in a tank that large. I had a yellow tang and a foxface rabbitfish that would fight all the time in a 75g. A 125 does not give them that much more room. They dislike anything that has the same color OR bodyshape that they have. Not a good combination.

dsoz

• Like 1

I would put the gobie and foxface in first, then the sailfin and shrimp, then the clowns both together, then add one scooter blennie, then the linkia very last. You need a huge pod population to keep even one dragonette alive, I think adding 2 is asking for them both to end up dead. The linkia starfish are very suseptable to salinity and alkalinity variations in your tank, so I would wait at least 6 months before adding it and longer for the scooter blennie.

Skip the yellow tang and the extra sailfin and add something else like some cool wrasses or something.

• Like 1

I really like sea stars, but everything I read tells me not to use them. I found some safe ones and added them. I almost never see them.

Hind sight and I would not have bought my two serpent sea stars. I'll sell them to you if you want them. Two banded serpent stars.

Just my opinion, leave the linkis out.

Your snail and hermit crabs are just fine, you can add more hermits in time but one or two more at a time of different species of snails is plenty. See how they do before you add more, like all animals in your tank they need food to survive if you see empty shells dont add more until you see what your tank will sustain. If you start to add coral PM me I have some that are good Starter ,hardy corals. looks like you are off to a very good start(rock2)

I appreciate all the Input, I did plan on adding the Foxface and watchman gobie next month :) I would definatly add the Clowns at the same Time and I like the Idea of adding Tangs at the same time, I'll keep and open mind about the yellow, its just my fiance saw one in Petco onetime (Dont worry I dont buy anything from them ) and she fell in love with it being how tiny it was but I have heard they are very prone to Ick, maybe a Blue instead.

In the meantime I was trying to get ideas for colorful leathers and zoas, not much for the brown ones, I like the ones with red, greens, blues, red, and orange. I know they can become a nusciance so I planned on watching them closely but if anyone is willing to sell some for a good deal PM me I plan on looking for more here in 2 weeks on my next check and it would be nice to meet new people, I have no trouble driving between Eugene and Portland. Also Interested in monti pieces (Green & Red).

- "Madreefer" do you have A pic of one of those Stars? are they the ones that look like Brittle stars?

-"Smann" Ill hit you up when I eventually get into SPS, That will probably be 6-8 months+ but I'm sure you will still be here lol.

Thanx Again guys!

I'm out of town until the 25th, if you are going to be in portland around then PM me and stop by I have a few softies you are welcome to. Light green colt(tree) cora,l some clove polyp, Anthelia, Bright green star polyp probably some others. That is if I have a tank when I get back:eek: my son is supposed to be taking care of it, I called today to ask if has been cleaning(at least twice I hoped) and said "Oh yea I was going to do that"(scratch). At least I can see may parameters thru Aquanotes on my laptop

Aloha

Madreefer - thanks for the photos, they really are nice looking stars just not what I was looking for I suppose, the reason I intended to get the Linki's was because of the woman and if i want to keep my hobby, gots to keep her happy too (I'm sure all you know about that (wife) )

Fishmanmike - I'm interested in those clarkii clowns and their sebae ;)

Smann - That sounds great anything can help right now in the way of softies, I'll PM you around the 25th to see what you got

Thanks again Guys for all your help

Nick

I really like sea stars, but everything I read tells me not to use them. I found some safe ones and added them. I almost never see them.

Hind sight and I would not have bought my two serpent sea stars. I'll sell them to you if you want them. Two banded serpent stars.

Just my opinion, leave the linkis out.

I completely agree! Blue linkia's should and would do best to be just left in the ocean. When I was working in the industry, we would bring 20 in and out of that 20 maybe 1 or 2 would make it past the one month mark. They require alot of coraline algae, so if you do decide to buy one, for the sole purpose of pleasing your wife(i'm sure she would understand if you told her they rarely make it in captivity, and they can foul your tank potentially crashing it when they die) I would wait at least 6 months, or until everything is covered in coraline, so they actually have some food to eat. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure you could find something else for your wife! There are lots of blue, pink and purple corals out there that do great in captivity.