PFO's Solaris LED System Reviewed

andy

good find...but it did not say if growth was achieved with this set up... and the way it sounds that once the lighting system has gone bad you have to buy a new lighting set up. so every 11 years dropping over 3k on a lighting set up is in pratical if you ask me.Yes it may save you a few hundred bucks over that 11 years... this savings only comes from electricity...because to buy a MH light set up and replace the bulbs for 11 years is abour 2200 bucks... so you still have about 1500 left for electricity, so really this is not the best way to go yet. I think for some people this is the answer, but for most it is not...if the price eventually is cut in half then this will be the answer. I think right now everyone is jumping on the hype of this right now and ignoring the price of the whole thing...maybe that is me.

Yeah' date=' agreed. I also thought it was quite ironic that the same issue of Advanced Aquarist has an article on how much more important flow is than lighting :-D[/quote']

Yeah, it is funny how articles are written when someone offers you something for free...Nothing was really positive in the article,just a bunch of jibber-jabber on the facts, but nothing compared to MH. I guess we will see what happens with the people who have more money that can drop this kind of cash on something that is not proven...

Maybe one of the board members can make a phone call and see if they will let us use one and see how it works out. I am up for using one of the 24" ones over my tank.

A couple of factors that you missed though were:

The cooling cost that is required for MH setups, the cost there will be determined by the setup of the tank and how you cool. But for most users it is a chiller which will eat up a LOT of electicity and will require additional space, plumbing (possibly a pump), maintance, and the initial cost.

Another thing is the LED from produces more usable light then the MH setup (PUR). Now this is based on a 20K bulb so a 10k might be different.Figure10.JPG

Another thing is at 11yrs the lights have only lost 30% of there output, so you wouldn't really have to replace at this point but it would be for the better. To me it is no different then running your T5 lights for a year and half instead of replacing them at the 8 or 12 month mark.

Rich

I don't care what the numbers say. Show me acropora that look like mine growing and holding color under this light then we can talk. All the tanks I have seen with this light had nothing but brown corals.

That was my main piont as well...another issue with these is...if something goes wrong and leds start buring out, then you are screwed cause they are not replaceable.

A couple of factors that you missed though were:

The cooling cost that is required for MH setups, the cost there will be determined by the setup of the tank and how you cool. But for most users it is a chiller which will eat up a LOT of electicity and will require additional space, plumbing (possibly a pump), maintance, and the initial cost.

Another thing is the LED from produces more usable light then the MH setup (PUR). Now this is based on a 20K bulb so a 10k might be different.Figure10.JPG

Another thing is at 11yrs the lights have only lost 30% of there output, so you wouldn't really have to replace at this point but it would be for the better. To me it is no different then running your T5 lights for a year and half instead of replacing them at the 8 or 12 month mark.

Rich

Yeah but the way I look at it is...If i bought these and was saving money due to not using as much electricity and replacing bulbs...I would not be putting that money into an account for 12 years later to buy another set up. So when that 11-12 year mark came around I would be scrambling to figure something out to make sure I have light. I do not think I am the only one who has 3800 bucks sitting around to drop on one item in one sitting, so-to-speak. It is much easier to pay 30 bucks a month extra a month on a bill and 160 bucks a year for bulbs. I mean I think most of us reef-oholics, would take that extra money and buy some new coral or a fish...Just not a pratical money expense. I also have a feeling that PFO is making a killing on these lights...LEDs are not expensive especailly when bought in bulk. I know they need to make money, but with this hobby it is low profit but high sales...

I agree with you that most people don't have the $$$$ to buy this unit. But if you are think out into the future I really think if it lasts and preforms as well as they say it will save you $$$. Another thing to consider is in the 11+ years that you have to replace it how much will the units be then? They might be half the cost, so the replacement will be a lot better.

Some of the really cool things about the unit is the cloud simulation and the ability to change the lighting color through out the day. So the dusk to dawn simulation is really good with this unit and better then anything else out there.

Now I'm not saying I'm going to drop $4k on one of these anytime soon either. I want to see more testing and the price come down to the $2k or less mark.

Rich

Sean at Cichlids was telling me something like that he would have to hang the light like two feet above the tank to acheive what he wanted. Soudns kinda stupid to have a light like that. Dont quote me though, maybe hell chime in. I really personally dont see this light taking off with the price tag. Later ryan

Sean at Cichlids was telling me something like that he would have to hang the light like two feet above the tank to acheive what he wanted. Soudns kinda stupid to have a light like that. Dont quote me though' date=' maybe hell chime in. I really personally dont see this light taking off with the price tag. Later ryan[/quote']

Thats what I am saying...if they want to get it into the market, they really need to sell it at a very low price. No one is going to beleive what someone writes about if they were given it for free. They need people to buy it and like that are completely unbiased. So we will see how it goes. Even if they do preform really well, I doubt most people will buy it. I think most people in this hobby have the average tank of about 4-6 feet long and no more then 24 deep, so it is much cheaper to buy two metal halides and run those. then 3800 bucks for the LEDs...but hey maybe that is me.

I wonder if anyone who has bought it and didnt like it would actually say "I dont like it". That would be a big bit of pride to swallow knowing what they paid for it. With that said I wonder how how accurate reports are,,, Im with Travis, wait and see what tanks look like that have them over it.

The limitation to the light other than price is wide tanks that are 24" and bigger. If you look at their website they have the calculations of what height you need to achieve coverage at what width. It probably wouldn't bother me to much to buy it if I intended on running it over a 18" tank but over a 24" tank it has to be almost 24" high.

I am supposed to get to see one on my way up to the tradeshow up in Seattle. I will be stopping at PFO on the way up on the 25th and should be able to report on it at the BBQ. It would be a fun toy with all of the crazy features built into it but the almost $1000 price hike between the show that they were at and the actual release is going to be I think a major factor in how well these do from a retail stand point.

The first batch of these has not even gone out. it should be shipped by the end of the month. I spoke with one of the PFO folks whom i have tanked with before and she tells me that they have had some great growth with them. I mentioned the light dispersal issue and she said it is not that big of a problem. just a week or 2 and we will see what the buyers say.

I spoke with Pat when I was at PFO yesterday, we talked for about an hour or so. Come November there will be new models being released that will be affordable for everyone that can afford current reef lighting. We shall see,,,, If you want more details you can PM me.