Sick clownfish?

darrellw

My smaller perc is acting very listless, swimming very stiff, no interest in food, maintaining position in the current, but little more. All water parms look good, the other fish, corals, crabs and snails all appear fine. I don't see any visible signs of any disease. Any treatment I should try, or just wait it out? I don't have a quarantine tank of any sort.

How long have you had him, and how long has he displayed the symptoms?

I wouldn't try any treatment in the main tank.

A qt can be as simple as a 10G tank with a heater and pump, and a cheapo light on top.

A couple of pieces of pipe to hide in and frequent water changes.

Hi,

I've had him for a week, he stared acting a little odd yesterday (in hindsight).

I have a 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of saltwater that has been mixed (and heated) for a few days.

-Darrell

• Like 1

If you take him out, I would set him up in tankwater, and use the mixed saltwater to replace what you take out of the tank.

Do the other fish pester him at all?

It's always a gamble to add a new fish, and he could have all sorts of problems, from intestinal parasites, to bad catching methods, to ich...

If he eats, supplementing garlic might help a little.

• Like 1

If you take him out, I would set him up in tankwater, and use the mixed saltwater to replace what you take out of the tank.

Do the other fish pester him at all?

It's always a gamble to add a new fish, and he could have all sorts of problems, from intestinal parasites, to bad catching methods, to ich...

If he eats, supplementing garlic might help a little.

The other fish are not bothering him (another perc and clown goby). They all went into the tank together (from the same tank).

Just an update. I decided to keep the sick fish with the rest, thinking that moving it into a hastily prepared home would be stressful, and with the thought that the other fish would have already been exposed. Anyway, after nearly a week the other fish are still fine, this one is still acting about the same. I have not seen it eat, but it does at least seem a little interested in food now. No external signs on anything.

If this is a problem, I think making it go through all that would have stressed it out enough to amplify this condition. As long as his belly looks like "| |" or "( )", but not ") (" he should more than likely be just fine.

I'd try moving far away from your tank after feeding (For this situation only, and about 10 Feet or more.) to see if he has developed any unsocial behaviors. If so he'll eat perfectly fine without you being there.

So, what to do if he eats just fine while your farther away? Sit closely in front of your tank for a good half hour or so, let all the fish come out and look at you, so that you may gain their trust. Make sure to make small slow movements at times.

Always make slow movements when feeding, especially when bringing in new fish. Fish can think that even the smallest thing is a attack at times, and will quickly try to flee or move farther away.

Hope this helps.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

-Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc.-

Well, now my other perc seems to have the same problem. Saturday it was wolfing down everything, yesterday it had no interest in eating. The little one (which has not been eating for a week) is now getting a sunken belly, the big one is still fat.

So far my clown goby is still fine. No external signs of anything. All the inverts seem happy, tank params are fine, etc.

Well, now my other perc seems to have the same problem. Saturday it was wolfing down everything, yesterday it had no interest in eating. The little one (which has not been eating for a week) is now getting a sunken belly, the big one is still fat.

So far my clown goby is still fine. No external signs of anything. All the inverts seem happy, tank params are fine, etc.

Now that sounds a lot more like their organs have been damaged from a internal parasite or chemicals.

I'm not quite sure where to advise you to go from here. Once this happens they usually end up dying. :(

I do hope they get better though.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

• Like 1

Now that sounds a lot more like their organs have been damaged from a internal parasite or chemicals.

I'm not quite sure where to advise you to go from here. Once this happens they usually end up dying. :(

I do hope they get better though.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

Thanks, I hope they pull through also. I was surprised how sudden it came on in the second fish, literally overnight. The first one to get it still isn't eating, and is getting thinner, but in some ways seems a little more alert/aware than before.

-Darrell

Would there be any point in doing a freshwater dip? I've read everything I can find about illnesses' date=' but can't find anything that fits what is going on with them.[/quote']

Darrell,

Your current dKH will not effect him, It would be more effective for your corals if you lowered it to 10-12 though (More on the 12 side).

As far as the freshwater dip goes, it will be very stressful on the fish, but if you decide to do it make sure that the temperature of the freshwater is the same as the tank as well as the PH.

You might try adding a tiny amount of garlic to the frozen food you are feeding them. Many companies make a garlic additive and it should not be that hard to find. We currently stock the Kent brand. It's also a great immune booster that you can add weekly to food, as routine maintenance for your fish.

You may want to ask the store you purchased them from where the clownfish originated from; whether they were tank raised or wild. If they were wild caught clownfish there could be several issues. A lot of times wild clownfish do not adapt well in captivity.

Hopefully if they were wild they were caught with nets.

Thanks, Ricky Soutas Jr.

Darrell,

Your current dKH will not effect him, It would be more effective for your corals if you lowered it to 10-12 though (More on the 12 side).

As far as the freshwater dip goes, it will be very stressful on the fish, but if you decide to do it make sure that the temperature of the freshwater is the same as the tank as well as the PH.

You might try adding a tiny amount of garlic to the frozen food you are feeding them. Many companies make a garlic additive and it should not be that hard to find. We currently stock the Kent brand. It's also a great immune booster that you can add weekly to food, as routine maintenance for your fish.

You may want to ask the store you purchased them from where the clownfish originated from; whether they were tank raised or wild. If they were wild caught clownfish there could be several issues. A lot of times wild clownfish do not adapt well in captivity.

Thanks, Ricky Soutas Jr.

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for the reply. I re-tested my hardness, and it is only about 10. Not sure what I did to get 15.

Neither of them have any interest in food at this point, they are basically swimming zombies. I also think their respiration is faster than usual, but it is hard to tell without one to compare to any more.

-Darrell

Thanks, Ricky Soutas Jr.

FYI, the are captive-bred Ocellaris from ORA.

-Darrell

In what may be a sign of improvement, the smaller clown (the one that started acting up first) was pecking around one of the hermits. I don't know if it wanted to eat it, or was just harassing it, but in either case that is more interaction and awareness of it's surroundings that it has shown in weeks.

-Darrell