Rep/Points/Posts

downhill_biker

This is e v en being discussed again.(enforcer) First maybe I have missed something and need clarification. My understanding was that "REP POWER' was added by voting for another if you felt they deserved it. So this is only a little true, or a lot true?. Are there post count levels that you hit to get "Rep Power" ???? What are they and why is it done this way? I think I just lost respect for this site. I would rather be wrong I quess somewhere deep inside I thought that was the only way you got them but as i see a few NEWER members have accumulated quite the number in both categories. It was one of my big arguments in the first place when this post count overnight contest went on and giving "REP POINTS" out like candy was the flavor of the day.(nono) I kinda feel like a fool then I see the rep points on a person and had respect when apparently you just need to talk a lot, whether you anything or not, good person doesn't mean crap. So a new comer - visitor could be easily duped by a high "Rep Point" Thinking this individual Has been a knowledgeable, helpful, good individual.

I queses in my life a persons reputation means a lot to me. It still does. Apparently I don't know if I earned mine or not now. I got excited and felt proud when I saw one added to mine. I hoped I had helped some one.

So this is all a head count? Just another site game. Well then screw it. Remove them all. Everybody can just take there chances. Nice real nice. Let's remove post counts rep power and when joined. Just Get rid of the whole dam thing.

Evertime I think this club is moving forward. A wrench is thrown in. A decent set of people that work very hard to help there fellow reefer are here, right here Who have had there "REP POWER" BY THE GOOD THING THEY DO AND SAY,THERE PIERS HAVE GIVEN THEM

BUT GET KNOCKED DOWN BY 2,000 POSTS IN A WEEK JUST BY POSTING

When I first came hear I went by the REP POWER.

Now I'm pissed. I feel emotionally robbed. Did i earn any??? Or is it just because I post? I really don't k now the answer. I don't even know if I want to know. I feel like I just got kicked in the groin

I do. As a noobie i took alot of my information from people like Andy' date='Impur,Downhill,Lowman and people of the sort not just because of the information they gave me but also what other people thought of them ie rep pionts. So you can see the current delima[/b'].

I did the same thing 4 years ago

I would honestly have to say that all of this seems blown way out of proportion. I am a total newbie to this site and salt water in general. If it were not for Shane setting up a tank in our office, I still would be on the outside looking in (Thanks Shane(clap)). Some time in the next year I plan on setting up a 40 gallon breeder I bought (wife) so I have been reading posts on this site for a few months and will continue to do so as I progress towards my build; that way by the time I actually get to the point where I want to post questions and look for advice I know the reliablity of the information. Regardless of what their rep power or post count is, I read and interpret in my own way. I think that the post count and rep power mean nothing to anyone who actually pays attention to what is posted on the site and knows the credibility of the posts.

I can understand some peoples frustration with the overinflation of post count and rep power, I have always felt that in the end it doesn't really mean anything to the knowledgable members of the board. We just need to trust that other newbies will be cautious when judging feedback. DOH!

But I guess nothing I just said will mean alot because I have about the lowest post count and rep power on the board. :D

• Like 1

I think what it all boils down to is how each and every person 'filters' what the read on the site. Much like in 'real life' - when you hear someone talk and are offered advice it is up to you to take it or not. Over time I have learned whom I should take advice from on what topic here on the boards.

Everyone has their opinions and are entitled to share them - it is up to you as an individual to use that information however you like.

I think the points system is just fine on here myself. Sure, there are some who post just to post - but in quick time new users will learn whom those folks are. Nothing wrong with posting to post, but some find it wasteful.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion...take it how you want :)

I'm not one to cause a big stink over stuff like this, but I dislike that the current setup is deceptive. You have "rep points" below your avatar, then just below that the ability to "add to reputation". You would think there is a correlation, but there apparently is not? DOH! I dislike that. I say either do away with it altogether, or make rep points based solely on points given by others. There is apparently no reason for having the current "add to rep" function. Why have it at all? (nutty) Make it sensible or do away with it.

Also, regarding two friends boosting each others rep to game the system, the way it is set up now, you have to go around and boost several different people before it lets you give repeat rep to a single individual. While you could still game it, it would require a little more work, so the system does have at least a reasonable roadblock in place for that.(threaten)

My $0.02

• Like 1

I know I am new to the board. I am not all that great with computers( thats what my kid is for). I had a BIG learning curve with learning both the board & SW. That being said I relied on rep points. Then came a thread about "same IP's" ! Then I saw "I give rep points" needless to say I don't think posts should count. Many are just funny reply's with no info given.

JMO

Just my two cents.

There are only maybe a dozen or so people who post regularly and they're all knowledgeable. I can't recall ever seeing *bad* advice given here... we'll except that time Impur told me how delicious skimmer nog is and I dra... but I don't like to think about that too much.

Anyways, this is turning into a tempest in a teapot. Rep systems suck. Time to get over it. Have some pie.

There are only maybe a dozen or so people who post regularly and they're all knowledgeable. I can't recall ever seeing *bad* advice given here... we'll except that time Impur told me how delicious skimmer nog is and I dra... but I don't like to think about that too much.

Anyways, this is turning into a tempest in a teapot. Rep systems suck. Time to get over it. Have some pie.

You musta forgot the lemon slice.

If you look on your "User CP" (on the forum menu bar, far left hand side) it'll show you what posts you've received rep-clicks for, and the comment given (if any). It doesn't show the name of the commenter though.