Rep/Points/Posts

downhill_biker

There has been a lot of commotion lately on the way rep points and other stats are scored. I know that when I post on Reef Central, I get responses from many people. Sometimes they are very different. I often use info like post count, rep, or points methods to assign credibility to the post and their knowledge.

I dont think the issue is as much about competition, but more of an issue as stated above. The experienced and knowledgeable people need to have higher rep/points to show for it. I am not sure what method we can use for changing this, but hopefully others can chime in and brainstorm in order to make this better.

• Like 1

I have to say that for the most part I agree. There should be a reasonable amount of points given for interaction, but outside of that, the points should take a decent amount of work to earn them. I know that if this is the case I stand to lose the most in points, but I do feel that most of my points are undeserved due to pure post count.

I think that the rep power should be based on others submitting "rep up" suggestions to a committee, or admin. They could also be given to a member by the committee or admin based on their opinion and feeling of the person/member's knowledge, willingness to help, valid post count, ect. The kudos could be given by everyone based on good transactions and experiences where kudos would normally be given.

I totally agree. I think it could be fixed by simply eliminating rep points for posts or at least scaleing them way back. You should have to earn rep points by just that...Earning peoples respect. Providing people with actual usefull and insightfull information,providing exemplary service,and being a true asset to the community at hand and so forth.IMO

I agree =)

It should be automatic when people add to rep and never for post count.

Edit: But to be honest, I never consider rep for anything.

I do. As a noobie i took alot of my information from people like Andy,Impur,Downhill,Lowman and people of the sort not just because of the information they gave me but also what other people thought of them ie rep pionts. So you can see the current delima.

Problem is....... join date does not say much about experience. Still, noobs often have a low quotient of post to the time they have been on the site.

Good trades gives people credibilty.

Good advice gives people credibility.

Civil discussion and lack of put downs of laming also give people credibility.

Rep points never substitute for reading lots of posts and judging for yourself.

• Like 1

First, on the user to be ignored:

step-1.jpg

Then:

step-2.jpg

Once that is done, you'll see the following instead of that person's postings:

step-3.jpg

Unfortunately, an ignored used will still flag a thread as active, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 1

I say we leave the rep point system as it is. Why should the few ruin it for the all? When I started on this forum the rep points etc was a fair measure of someone's knowledge and dedication to the hobby etc. I have come to the point where I know what posts to mentally file as 'junk' and what not to. Make sense?

Just my .02 cents...flame away!

does the rep go up as the number of posts increases? people with high post numbers also ask alot of questions as well as answer..so they gain knowledge from asking as well..so people with high post and rep usually are knowledgeable because they have gained experience and knowledge from asking and answering questions.

but if its someones first tank and they have alot of questions they can also post big numbers. they might be knowledgeable from there reading and questions but still a noob..lol if all that rambling on makes any sense :D haha

I say we leave the rep point system as it is. Why should the few ruin it for the all? When I started on this forum the rep points etc was a fair measure of someone's knowledge and dedication to the hobby etc. I have come to the point where I know what posts to mentally file as 'junk' and what not to. Make sense?

Just my .02 cents...flame away!

+1

i agree..you can tell from the person if they are really experienced and know what there talking about or if there a noob.

does the rep go up as the number of posts increases? people with high post numbers also ask alot of questions as well as answer..so they gain knowledge from asking as well..so people with high post and rep usually are knowledgeable because they have gained experience and knowledge from asking and answering questions.

but if its someones first tank and they have alot of questions they can also post big numbers. they might be knowledgeable from there reading and questions but still a noob..lol if all that rambling on makes any sense :D haha

cool......

up goes my rep...

this is what i am talking about. there are hundreds of posts that add to rep by increasing post count, but dont have any validity to them.

I still say that rep should have to be given by others. Pure post count should account for a very small percentage of rep points. That would be the best way to judge in my opinion. Let others do the judging. That way your rep points are a direct reflection of the reputation you have earned from others. Again just my opinion. I will be first to admit, again, that I have far more rep points than deserved and they are almost all from post count alone. Which I agree is unfair, just because I have more time to post doesn't mean my rep should be better than any else's.

I still say that rep should have to be given by others. Pure post count should account for a very small percentage of rep points. That would be the best way to judge in my opinion. Let others do the judging. That way your rep points are a direct reflection of the reputation you have earned from others. Again just my opinion. I will be first to admit' date=' again, that I have far more rep points than deserved and they are almost all from post count alone. Which I agree is unfair, just because I have more time to post doesn't mean my rep should be better than any else's.[/quote']

i agree....it should be based on other people

• Like 1

I've been doing the fish forum thing for about 5 years now. In that time, over the various forums I belong to, I have more then 20,000 posts. I moderate on sites, I'm an admin on sites. If post count mattered or status mattered I would be "thee" guru. All it means is that I have no life other then playing on forums every night. Take it from me that is all it means. One of the sites I'm a mod on I swear I'm only there for comic relief, everyone there know more then me by far, but I have more posts.

When I had a question about acrylic I went to James. Even though he has less then 150 posts on this site and 8 rep points, he knows way more about acrylic then I ever will, so I ask him. So I dwarf the guys post count by 19,850+, while I was posting about stuff, he was doing it. Who know better? I ask James, he helps me understand things I otherwise wouldn't.

When I have a problem with my tank, I talk to Joel. But wait I have more posts then Joel, Joel only has 1500 or so, I must know more then him. Ya, that's just not the way the world works. I might know more then Joel about a thing or two (and two is questionable), but there are many many things he knows more about then me. Honestly since Joel and Jordan started helping me out, I've never done better in this hobby.

IMHO the rep system is crap. Any two friends can give each other rep points to make each other look good (assuming they are two different people and not one person signed on from home and work who justs boosts there rep points from different IP's). The whole thing is a joke. There was even a thread recently on this site making a joke out of it and everyone giving everyone else rep points. Who cares how many times you got a friend to give you props. I care about what you know.

For a newb I can see how it can be daunting. The learning curve is pretty high. Try to take advice on the merit of the advice, not the number of bad jokes (posts), useless redirect(posts), or secret alliances (rep points). In the end figuring out the differences is what is going to allow you to help someone else some day. IME helping someone to be succsessful in this hobby, by passing along what has been shared to you, is one of the most rewarding things there is in this hobby. Hence, I have 20,000 posts. Ya I want to help people, but it's just for selfish reasons because it makes me feel good to help out. Oh, and I think I am funny so I crack bad jokes in posts pretty often.

Just my opinion, I'm sure someone with far less posts and less rep points could say it more eloquently.

I've been doing the fish forum thing for about 5 years now. In that time, over the various forums I belong to, I have more then 20,000 posts. I moderate on sites, I'm an admin on sites. If post count mattered or status mattered I would be "thee" guru. All it means is that I have no life other then playing on forums every night. Take it from me that is all it means. One of the sites I'm a mod on I swear I'm only there for comic relief, everyone there know more then me by far, but I have more posts.

When I had a question about acrylic I went to James. Even though he has less then 150 posts on this site and 8 rep points, he knows way more about acrylic then I ever will, so I ask him. So I dwarf the guys post count by 19,850+, while I was posting about stuff, he was doing it. Who know better? I ask James, he helps me understand things I otherwise wouldn't.

When I have a problem with my tank, I talk to Joel. But wait I have more posts then Joel, Joel only has 1500 or so, I must know more then him. Ya, that's just not the way the world works. I might know more then Joel about a thing or two (and two is questionable), but there are many many things he knows more about then me. Honestly since Joel and Jordan started helping me out, I've never done better in this hobby.

IMHO the rep system is crap. Any two friends can give each other rep points to make each other look good (assuming they are two different people and not one person signed on from home and work who justs boosts there rep points from different IP's). The whole thing is a joke. There was even a thread recently on this site making a joke out of it and everyone giving everyone else rep points. Who cares how many times you got a friend to give you props. I care about what you know.

For a newb I can see how it can be daunting. The learning curve is pretty high. Try to take advice on the merit of the advice, not the number of bad jokes (posts), useless redirect(posts), or secret alliances (rep points). In the end figuring out the differences is what is going to allow you to help someone else some day. IME helping someone to be succsessful in this hobby, by passing along what has been shared to you, is one of the most rewarding things there is in this hobby. Hence, I have 20,000 posts. Ya I want to help people, but it's just for selfish reasons because it makes me feel good to help out. Oh, and I think I am funny so I crack bad jokes in posts pretty often.

Just my opinion, I'm sure someone with far less posts and less rep points could say it more eloquently.

well said....

• 1 month later...
cool......

up goes my rep...

this is what i am talking about. there are hundreds of posts that add to rep by increasing post count, but dont have any validity to them.

Hey why you got to pick on my posts, lol