Considering changes to the rbta tank.

tidalsculpin

So,

I have decided I need to reduce maintenance costs in my classroom. I need to make the routine a bit easier.

I have threatened to take down the anemone tank for a while now and I think it will happen soon. For a while I was thinking I would just give it to someone else to take care of but I think I want to try something else with the tank.

Many of you have seen all three tanks in my room. The salt cost is prohibitive.

So..... what sould I do?????

Freshwater right??? Nope.

Brackish. It is a comprimise. And brackish middleschool style is .....mudskippers!!

I will need to convert the overflow to be a paludarium setup and slow the closed loop down to become a waterfall of sorts.

I plan on having my science elective kids plan the whole conversion and build it. I will keep you updated.

Hey Joel!

Can I buy the anemones from you? That would help with the conversion cost.

I would even consider buying the MH lights if the price is right.

Mudskippers would be a lot of fun. They had (IDK if they still have) mudskippers at the petstore here in Oregon City. I can check into them if you don't have any down there.

dsoz

I was thinking... (dangerous) If you want to go brackish water, consider archerfish!

If you make the pool area bigger, you could easily have two archers in there. I think that they are compatible with mudskippers.

How much would you want for the anemones? If your LFS will give you more than $40-50 for them then do it. It would not be worth my time/gas to drive down there to pay that much for them.

dsoz

Let me think on the anemones a while. I can always put em in the 80 reef while I convert over.

What height do you think the archer fish would need to survive? I was really hoping to have a few nice compatible crabs in their instead of other fish. Breeders are 16 inches high and I need at least an island to keep 6 indian skippers happy with their territory. I plan on keeping the refugium setup below with caluerpa and live rock. Above, the kids are going to help build the aquascape. I was thinking a foam aquascape would be cool. I plan on putting in a clear top on my black semi-hood to seal things off. I'll just lay a stip light on top.

I also have to decide how to cut down the overflow. I was thinking a dremel with a cutting blade might do it, but it will be tedious work to make it a straight cut.

They had archerfish in the tank at the petstore (Animal House in Oregon City) in only about 4-6 inches of water, right along with the mudskippers. That is not to say that it was the best for the fish, but that is how they had them. It may take some more planning to figure out though.

Good luck with that one, and have a lot of fun with the students planning that tank.

dsoz