WTB Blue xenia (Cespitularia sp.)

dsoz

I just picked up the tank on Friday from Jason at CRPC in Salem. I was having problems with my light on Saturday so I literally threw in some L, threw in some LR, added the coral and set up a couple of powerheads and a heater all in one day.

The rock came out of my display or my sump, except that one piece that the RBTA is in. I bought the whole rock from CRPC, including the anemone and the hydnophoria and a few palys. I brought it home in a bucket of water so there was no die-off.

I have been watching ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate from the start, and there has been no increase. There was a bacterial bloom Sunday night/Monday morning, but it had cleared up by Monday after work.

All the corals look healthy, and the RBTA has been eating like a pig. I have been giving it about 1/2 to 3/4 of a silverside every day. It bubbles up nicely after each time I feed it.

I took an idea from Garrettm85. I went to Home Depot and got a heavy duty shelf unit (72" long x 18" deep x 72" tall, and can hold 7200 lbs. I am going to set up my two 40b tanks on one shelf to start my anemone farm. If it is successful, my plans are to add two more 40b tanks to the top shelf. I still need to remove the old workbench from my fish room and replace it with the shelf unit. I should have that done by the end of this week. I am going to take pictures along the way to document my progress.

To work best each species of anemone should be in a monoculture (only one species). It is recommended that even within the same species, there would be competition, so only clones should be housed together in the same water. That means that I will need to setup at least two tanks right now, because I am not sure about the history of the new anemone. Then once I get a feel for how to chop the RBTA, I may start branching out for other species of anemones.

I can't wait to get this set up better. I am so excited.

dsoz

• 2 weeks later...

it is doing well. I am leaving two of them alone to see how they grow with no interference. The third, I am trying to get to expand onto another piece of rock. With "normal" xenia, it will grow onto anything near it, and has a positive response to things touching it. This blue xenia seems to have a negative tactile response. Any rock that I put near it, it bends away from. I even use a dead acropora skeleton that has a Y shape. The next morning the blue xenia had bent it's stalk so that it was no longer wedged in between the branches of the Y. Very strange.

dsoz

Sorry for the cost Doz. I "LOVE" the red sea white. I'm sure I'd be crazy about the Bl. Good luck and let me know the out come and put me in line for a frag.

Beckie

The blue is nice looking, but it does not pulse. I enjoy the white because it pulses.

I have it under mostly 10k bulbs, I think it would look nicer if it was under more of a 14k or 20k light.

dsoz

This is what I am trying to do. The upper left "branch" is in between the Y of the coral skeleton. The main trunk of the coral keeps bending away from the rock that it is touching. Completely opposite of the other xenia that I have in my tank. If it was the red sea xenia, it would have grown onto the new rock and split off a branch by now.

fish031.jpg

I am trying to be as delicate as I can with these pieces for the first 30 days (stay alive guarantee). After that, one of them is fair game for the knife.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The saga of the blue xenia continues. I decided to knife two of the cespitularia that I have. All the parts that I made are just about as big as the frags that I got from Drs. F&S. I want to give them until Saturday to heal more, but they are looking good. They will be for sale soon.

Pictures will come this week.

dsoz

I also have two large colonies of the blue anthelia. Doesn't quite measure up to all the hype.

Ya, I have had blue anthelia for over a year, I still wanted the cespitularia. I still like it, but think it will be better under 20k bulbs, or in a tans with a lot more actinic action. I only have one actinic bulb and the other bulbs are rated at about 15K.

dsoz

Ya, I have had blue anthelia for over a year, I still wanted the cespitularia. I still like it, but think it will be better under 20k bulbs, or in a tans with a lot more actinic action. I only have one actinic bulb and the other bulbs are rated at about 15K.

dsoz

A few blueish clove polyps of some kind were on a frag of dragon eye zoas I got from you last year, since then they have over taken the zoas and actually look a lot cooler :D Nice stuff under the right light. If I'm not totally lazy later today I'll try and get a pic up.