low alkalinity

AmySC

My tank looks fine, but when I test my water it reads a lower alkalinity then it should. I'm wondering what I need to do to raise the alkalinity in my water. I have been adding super buffer dkh to the water, but it doesn't seem to help much. Please give me some advice. Thanks.

Hmm if you are adding superbuffer dKH and are not seeing any increase in alk you have a problem. The first thing is to have your test kit double checked. Take some water to a LFS and see if they can test for you. Next, how much of the superbuffer are you adding? If i need to boost alk, i also use kent superbuffer dKH and add about 2 teaspoons to my 75gal. I have found that will raise my alk about 1dKH.

agreed with above, what is low? baking soda will raise alk without raising ca, but if you need to raise both, kalk drip can do so, but slowly. dont expect to use kalk to adjust in a couple days, do it over a week or two. here is a calculator by Randy Holmes-Farley, the Reef Chemistry MASTER. Put in the volume, and the supplement you are using to adjust.

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

Of course, I don't have a strange internet relationship with Randy Holmes-Farley like some people do (nono) (a good link, I must grudgingly admit). I use two test kits when I get an unusual result. I would bring alk up slowly with buffer and then stabalize with a balanced two part or use Kalk. Give us some more info and we will solve this for you, even if you don't want us to!