What a morning!!

impur

Ok well i got up a little late this morning. Went thru my normal routine and while i was eating breakfast i hear some odd sounds from my tank. Then i hear the syphon holes sucking water. Uh oh. Run over and my return pump had quit. DOH! DOH! DOH! So i spent the next 20 min replacing it. Since the normal pump is a genX2400 at 500gph and the replacement is a mag9 at 900gph i had to adjust some ball valves. Of course those ball valves haven't been closed for a solid 6 months and were stuck. SOOOOO next i had to remove part of the return plumbing. Thank god for unions!!! Got the valve unstuck, hooked all the plumbing back up and fired everything back up. Adjusted the valve and its running smoothly again. Of course i had to take another shower and was 10 min late for work, but hey, anything for my tank right!?!?

Moral of the story clean your equipment regularly!!! I haven't cleaned that return pump for 3 months (fishhit)

Glad you caught it! Good advice regarding cleaning, particularly the bit about fiddling with ball valves every once in a while. I found that mine can get stuck after as little a week or two -- unsticking them makes me nervous since it torques the bulkheads (scary)

I'm going to go with an external pump on my next tank. Something i can put unions in place and just undo those and it comes out easy. I have unions as it is, but you gotta lift up the pluming undo the union, then lift it back up and make sure its flat so the threads take. Its tough with so little space too.