whoops...

rude944

So I noticed a whoops yesterday. I finally did some testing on my tank sunday and noticed something. I had low PH (7.8) and my alk was around 2. Calcium was decent at 400, so I knew my reactor was functioning somewhat. Phosphates were on the charts so I replaced my media in the phos reactor and decided to brainstorm about it a little later. I added some ph supplements and topped off with kalkwasser. Figured this would boost PH for the day and look at it later. Finally, I added some c02 with a twist of the dial and figured that would be it.

An hour later, watching some of the Chapelle show, I realized what the problem could likely be. The c02 was exiting the calc reactor as soon as it was entering. It was going straight back into the tank, causing the ph to fall. I hooked up the hose that had come loose in the calcium reactor and verified it was going to the effluent first.

Whoops.

I think the tank will grow a bit faster now. I am excited to know that the tank survived and now will go to the next level! I have read so much regarding accelerated growth rates with higher levels of alkalinity that this has me chomping at the bit! Only one SPS has been not so happy as of late, but I feel that my tank is now finally dialed in.

I'm posting this just to help others problem solve and see what caused me some headache.

yeah great luck, usually a significant drop in alk, even over time, will lead to serious tip recession and eventually stn. glad you caught it, looking forward to seeing how your tank flourishes now.

I tested everything yesterday and found that the tank had fantastic numbers. Ph was a solid 8.2, Calcium was at 400 (still!) Alk was close to 3.5 and everything else looked fine too. Many of my corals have started lightening up pretty quickly and the polyps are out in full force. I think this change really put the tank into a good place!

DKH, I would still have reason to worry @ meq/l, right? The test kit says seawater is 2.5, and I just need to get above that. The more, the merrier without alkinality/calcium snowing!

BTW, I have never seen that, excepting when I have brewed kalkwasser. U?