Starting a new tank.. need some feedback :)

B Foxy

Howdy folks..

I just switched from a 29 gallon planted freshwater tank to a 72g AGA bow front Reef tank.

My current setup is kinda on the meager side... hope to make it alot better soon!

lighting: PFO "professional" series housing with 2x 250 watt 20,000k XM halides... 2x 48" Actinic VHO bulbs. Its just a short version of the setup we use in the shop

Mechanical stuff: Sump..well its my old 29 gallon tank..its a serious pain to work with..so I will be upgrading tonight to a custom sump/refugium with a Gen X 4100 return pump,im unable to really crank that

thing up due to the tubing I have on the drain pipe...its soft and really reduces the flow. Inside the sump with be a Precision Marine Skimmer..which I hope to upgrade for a recirculating one soon..make and model yet to be determined... Precision Marine Calcium Reactor... and a media reactor..I think..not totally sure yet.. I am also using an old Ebo Jaeger 300watt heater which I will upgrade soon..With the Halides on for 12 hours a day my tank remains at a nice 77 degrees..probably due to the fact that I have a giant air conditioner right next to the lights and balast, hope that isnt a bad thing (scratch)

I have about a hundred 'some pounds of live sand... not nearly enough live rock..and some zoo's. Pretty sad. But i wanna be darned picky about the stuff I put in there...

So what ya'all think.. think some SPS would do alright in there?

As I said in my first post..I work at Coral Reef Pet Center with Sully... I'm no guru....and am still learning lots and lots of new stuff everyday.. so if you get a little frustrated with me..remember that I am still learning and eventually I'll get it all down..well..not all..but ya know what I mean

DSCN0574.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

Sounds like a good setup you have.

I would start with some easier SPS like Monti's (digitia, etc...), SPS aren't really hard to keep. You just need a couple of things, good exporting of excess nutrients, good flow & lighting, and the most important thing stability (Alk, CA, temp, etc..). If you have those thing you will do great with them..

Rich

I was thinking more along the lines of future SPS plans... I am excited about monti's..I'm kinda crazy about this green one we have in the store..it may be pretty common..but it has a totally neato shape...

My water parameters are all pretty good..but my tank is only a couple of days old..so I gotta couple of months to wait before I put anything choice in there... I'll stick with my leather obsession for a while... "dont take that wrong fella's LOL"

Well I upgraded that 29 gallon pseudo sump to a brand new custom one from advanced plastics... We got seven more of them at the store... some with refugiums and some without... They are choice! I am finally able to turn my return pump all the way up and get some decent flow..everything seems so much happier!

Dont forget that if you are a member let us know... and dont be suprised if I ask you a question about something... had to do it the other day... No shame in learnin' right?

Heck no, we all have more to learn!

How bout some pics!!!! Would love to see that sump.

that's easy, shut off power, see where your water level is, if you overflow,,,,, it's tooo full. Hay buddy sitting here. looking at that pink acro, bbbeeeaaauuuttiiffuullllllllllllll. And I'll have to swing back buy and lok at that sump for my 72

I'll have a pic up sometime tomorrow... My water paramters are perfect! i am sooo happy! Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate <0 Phos. <0 Ca approx 430... Everything is working out so well.. I have had an average of 3 polyps per zooanthid colony growth this week..

I'll have a pic up sometime tomorrow... My water paramters are perfect! i am sooo happy! Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate <0 Phos. <0 Ca approx 430... Everything is working out so well.. I have had an average of 3 polyps per zooanthid colony growth this week..

Quit bragging :) oh yes, tell Jay I names the Pink, "My

Precious Precious "

Bragging would be saying that my tank hasnt reached over 76 degrees with the lights directly on top of the tank...LOL

The one guy who wanted that one was pissed by the way... I blamed it on you

(yahoo) (yahoo)

LOL no really LOL,,,

• 1 month later...

crud:eek: I'm goin to be very sad if he didn't make it, check behind. See if he jumped. I'm for sure commin in to find him. What time are you open tomorrow???? I'll show you the piece tomorrow at the shop, heading to ZZZZZZZZz land. Post and I'll check AM Later :)