60g cube

impur

Thanks Ricky, I can't wait either. So many projects. I'll be putting the second coat on tomorrow and picking up some wood for the top, the bottom and the skin. I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with something a bit larger than the 60cube. 30x30x24 is looking really sweet to me right now (naughty)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Impur you could hit up Wanareef, he is always building tanks or stands and figuring out plumbing and all that. Me personally I prefer the internal overflow's over the external. Space taken, looks, and possible leakage are my reasons.

Miles,

I have trimmed out most of my solana stand. It measures 25X26 X34 high. I am prebuilding for my 60 cube upgrade down the road. lol Not saying I want to buy it ..yet. Gotta try and be successful with the solana first. I think I will be starting my own "home" thread soon. Can't wait to see your progress in pics.

• 3 months later...

Well I've got my new plan in place. I'm going to have Joel make my glass tank to replace the 60gal acrylic cube i currently have. Tank will be 30x30x25 with external overflow, 3 starphire sides, black silicon, and 2 holes for return. I hope to have the tank by Aug 1st but we'll see i still have to talk to Joel about it all.

I've been acquiring equipment in the mean time. I got a great deal on the return pump an Eheim 1260 and also got a great deal on a Vortech mp40w.

I only have 2 other items besides the tank that are my must haves - another Vortech mp40w and the light. I'd like a MH w/ T5 combo this time around so i can have the best of both worlds. I love the MH shimmer and the colors i get from my corals under MH. But i love the growth i get from T5. Any suggestions?

I knew you bought it but were tempting Miles with it(laugh) Just figured he could pick one up. I know they do not make them anymore but they are available in a few places. I like the Maristar but do not like only 2 T5s in it. If you look at most of the other comb pendants they have 4 T-5s.

As for a 30 inch fixture probably not but I have a 30 inch wide tank now and am going with the Elos Planet light. It has a MH in the middle and 4 t-5s on the outside. It is a nice light but yes just like the fishawizzy:D it is spendy. Remember I bought Mikes light and it was nice but they are big and bulky looking. If you look for a used one on RC they are there. Plus a good thing is all the Elos lights come with a 3 year warranty.

Yes the Elos lights average 1200 but are nice. I only paid 500 for mine used on RC. Had it sent directly to Elos USA and they checked it out and made sure it was 100% then sent it to me.

That Aqua Photon Plus is a killer light. They are expensive but light is what makes are stuff grow:D

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back from the dead. I ended up keeping the tank, and for the meantime i'm moving my 75gal over into this tank since i've been dragging my feet on the 93g glass cube. I hope to finish that this summer. But i need to finish the floor where the tanks are, so that means emptying the 75gal. So i've got some more pics to share as I set this thing up

Here it is moved into place. I picked up some matting typically used for a shop or something. It came as 4 squares that have teeth to fit together. Got it at Harbor Freight, thanks for the suggestion Mike! I cut this stuff to fit under the stand and under both the display tank and sump. I still had a square left over too :)

c8d3e226.jpg

Here are some pics of the plumbing. I plumbed the carbon/GFO reactor inline with the return pump, and its got its own shutoff valve as well.

DSCN3700.jpg

DSCN3701.jpg

I picked up another SWC 160 cone since I love the one on my 75gal so much. Bigalsonline.com has these new for $250 shipped :D

DSCN3702.jpg

DSCN3703.jpg

My next step is finishing a temporary rack to hold the pendant, its basically just some ABS pipe and fittings so that won't take long. Then after the SG is in range, i'll add a few pieces of LR that have been in my QT tank for about 3 weeks and start adding MB7 to kick start the bacteria.

I also need to figure out the aquascape. I have several dry rocks, but i'm thinking they are too large and need to be broken up to maximize surface area for corals. I think i'm gonna have to bribe Jon to come over and help since he's awesome at scaping ;)

I think this will be my next tank size after my 40b' date=' very impressive impur.[/quote']

Thanks! Its a great size, i just with the overflow was external.

nice job on the plumbing looks all sparkly and new!

Thanks Roy. I thought out the plumbing for awhile. I also included another exit line in the return plumbing for a frag tank to fit down in the stand. Or I might use it as a way to drain water when i do WCs, not sure yet. You can see the red handle for the ball valve in the 2nd to last picture. I had 1 leak you can see all the blue glue there between the T and union, and I ruined 1 bulkhead by screwing into it too much causing it to split. I had to replace it with a sched 80 bulkhead since they are the same price as normal bulkheads here in Eugene - $25!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I got all the rock and corals from my QT tank moved into the cube. I also added some corals from the 75gal that were either doing poorly or needed to be fragged.

The MP10 rocks in this tank, i really want another one. It blends into the background nicely as well.

This is just a pic with my iphone, i'll try to put up some more tonight

fbf28ca5.jpg

Thanks! I didn't build this tank though. I did do everything else ;) I bought this tank new several years ago and never got around to using it. Sol is the guy who built it.

I am building a 30x30x24 glass cube though. And yes, once thats done its gonna be a great feeling seeing it with corals in it.